Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Read the first line of the OP, the thread is about what you'd consider "teen novels" - not bricks of High Fantasy.
    Actually Tolkien intended the LoTR books to be read by a middle-school level, and it's not really unbelievable when you read it with that in mind.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-06-28 at 03:00 PM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Actually Tolkien intended the LoTR books to be read by a middle-school level, and it's not really unbelievable when you read it with that in mind.
    While that is true - it's not considered a "teen novel".

---------- Post added 2012-06-28 at 03:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    This is in terms of Twilight. It is essentially written for that type of age group. Thus the reason it is considered a YA novel, young adult.... So yeah, well written for a teenager. As said, also easy to read.

And as a person who has sat down and written a novel, though not published, I can appreciate a novel or a series for being an easy read and being well written, even though I don't particularly like the story.

---------- Post added 2012-06-28 at 02:33 PM ----------

I read through most of this post as I found it interesting, and I don't recall anyone mentioning Artemis Fowl, however I did skim through some of it, so I might have missed it. Upon thinking about it, a Pixar type set of movies for this series could be epic.

I had heard that about Star Wars, and I think going this route is would be the wrong way to go, add that I thought that's what the Clone Wars was about, between the prequels and the original series. Thus I think it would be a mistake to do a live action show based in that time frame. I think they would be much better off doing something either in the mode of The Old Republic so that they would be free to tell an original story, or go future so they could tell the continuing story and have essentially a completely new set of characters.
    There's a difference between writing books directed towards teens, and writing *like* a teen.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    I read through most of this post as I found it interesting, and I don't recall anyone mentioning Artemis Fowl, however I did skim through some of it, so I might have missed it. Upon thinking about it, a Pixar type set of movies for this series could be epic.

I had heard that about Star Wars, and I think going this route is would be the wrong way to go, add that I thought that's what the Clone Wars was about, between the prequels and the original series. Thus I think it would be a mistake to do a live action show based in that time frame. I think they would be much better off doing something either in the mode of The Old Republic so that they would be free to tell an original story, or go future so they could tell the continuing story and have essentially a completely new set of characters.
    The Clone Wars takes place between episode II and III. Here is a bunch of info on it;http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Underworld but it is mostly rumors and possible conclusions drawn from things Lucas and Rick McCallum (producer on the prequels and Exec. producer on the planned series) have said in various interviews since the series was first announced in 2005.

I seems like the reason they want to set the series in the gap between III and IV is to be able to develop a number of side characters and events connected to the overall story of the films. It seems that two books that were planned to take place during that time period (one about Leia and one about Boba Fett) were cancelled so their stories could be used in this series.

I would like to see The Sword of Truth serie by Terry Goodkind as movies.
    Last edited by Raymi; 2012-06-28 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Also remember that was a long time ago, and it was one of the first fantasy series to make it big on a more than kid level, it's what made the fantasy genre, so at the time of writing it he was not writing it and expecting it to be a big adult hit because at that time no fantasy was. Trust me most "teens" now would consider the Lotr very boring in the style it was written, it is very old and although very easy to read, not super fast paced.

The Lord of the Rings isn't teen hit but an all-around hit that is enjoyable yes but it doesn't have the teen following like Hunger Games, Twilight, or Harry Potter have. It is just big overall, you won't see tons of typical teenage girls obsessing over it like the other books.

Honestly I don't think the next 'Hunger Games' or 'Twilight' has been written yet, nor do I think it will be an older book, it will probably be a new book when Hunger Games is on its second movie that comes out, gets a big following and when Hungers Games is getting closer to its end the new book will release its first movie and get all the attention.