Keybind voice commands?

Probably not a new idea, but I thought I could link some voice commands to keybinds... Anyone know of such a software? As we get more and more abilities, and can't manually press a keybind for 12+ abilities, it could be great to just TALK and the ability happens!

Halp & thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DiGG View Post
    Probably not a new idea, but I thought I could link some voice commands to keybinds... Anyone know of such a software? As we get more and more abilities, and can't manually press a keybind for 12+ abilities, it could be great to just TALK and the ability happens!

Halp & thanks.
    I don't have an answer to be honest - but I would assume that something like Dragon Naturally Speaking - or whatever its called these days might be able to do what you want.

Not sure thats such a good idea though - maybe for abilities that are not critical. (Mainly because there may be a lag between saying a command and the system actually figuring out what you want)

If you do actually get something working that can be used for critical abilities like Trinket / Bubble etc which actually works well - would appreciate if you could share with the rest of us

Even if you could set something up that would recognize your commands perfectly 100% of the time, it'd still be way slow in comparison to pressing a key.

Might be alright to quest with, though. If you prefer speaking over pressing a button.

.. and can't manually press a keybind for 12+ abilities ..
    I believe I have 19 keybinds for combat abilities, not counting pet commands or targeting functions, and could easily squeeze in another five or six before I'd even start to worry about running out of space.

Have you tried going beyond using one modifier?
    Last edited by Cowt; 2012-06-23 at 01:58 PM.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    I believe I have 19 keybinds for combat abilities, not counting pet commands or targeting functions, and could easily squeeze in another five or six before I'd even start to worry about running out of space.

Have you tried going beyond using one modifier?
    I believe you're misreading, he mentions that one single bind with modifiers cannot control 12+ abilities, not that you cannot have binds for 12+ abilities

Deleted
    I remember us having a thread about something like this a few months (years, even?) back. I'll go look.

---------- Post added 2012-06-23 at 04:34 PM ----------

Found it.

Well my main problem is playing my warrior. As many knows, warrior is probably the class with the most abilities, certainly compared to arcane mage, or frost dk for example. I already said in another thread that I got small hands, and can *easily* use 11 keybinds (I have yet to use 'r', which I should... for the 11th). As for using modifiers, I tried but it certainly not as effcient as not using any... or maybe I need to practice even more.

That's why I thought if I could just TALK and certain abilities would happen...

The main problem with what you propose is the latency involved. the action of making a noise intelligible to a voice recognition system (ie: more than a grunt or squeel) is substantially slower than keystrokes: half a second of latency or more is pretty reasonable to expect.

Maybe you could use that for things like long cool downs that are second used (ie: rallying cry) but I suspect the whole thing would be awkward.

maybe consider a foot switch like this or this. I have a friend who earns a living writing code in VIM: he's got one of those setup to swap between insert and edit mode and the other has something to do with cut/copy/paste I didn't understand. He says it works exceptionally well for the ~$40 they cost.

My advice remains to toss a alt/ctrl/shift on a mouse button - that gives you a a whole second set of binds that don't feel any different to hit because you're using two hands to do them.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well my main problem is playing my warrior. As many knows, warrior is probably the class with the most abilities, certainly compared to arcane mage, or frost dk for example. I already said in another thread that I got small hands, and can *easily* use 11 keybinds (I have yet to use 'r', which I should... for the 11th). As for using modifiers, I tried but it certainly not as effcient as not using any... or maybe I need to practice even more.

That's why I thought if I could just TALK and certain abilities would happen...
    I find that weird, i play Warrior/Shaman/Priest/Druid and i find Warrior is the least problematic with the amount of buttons, Maybe you play a different specc? I play Prot, so it might affect it, Oh, and i have a massive....2 keybinds lol, i can only keybind "Q" and "E" lol, i suck at things, so i just bind my toons interrupt to "E" and it never causes me any trouble, but i would love to be able to say what i want, and it happen

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    I find that weird, i play Warrior/Shaman/Priest/Druid and i find Warrior is the least problematic with the amount of buttons, Maybe you play a different specc? I play Prot, so it might affect it, Oh, and i have a massive....2 keybinds lol, i can only keybind "Q" and "E" lol, i suck at things, so i just bind my toons interrupt to "E" and it never causes me any trouble, but i would love to be able to say what i want, and it happen
    I'm Arms => 1-charge, 2-heroic strike, 3-victory rush, 4-pummel, Q-cleave, E-mortal strike, F-overpower, C-colossus smash, X-rend, Z-execute... everything else I CLICK! There are another SEVEN abilities, that's not counting Blood Fury (orc) and shatering throw.

My main is a spriest, and I use waayyyyy less than that.

My main is a spriest, and I use waayyyyy less than that.
    Are you sure you're getting everything you can out of the class?

Thinking to my priest: I've got the same number of "essential" abilities (stuff I'll use at least once per fight)
    1: SWeath , 2: Vampiric Touch, 3: Mind Flay, 4: Mind Blast, 5: Devouring Plague , 6: SW:Pain, Shift+3: Mind Sear, Shift+4: Mind Spike, A: dispersion, Q: Shadow fiend, Shift+Q: archangel. My "extra 7" would include: Fade, Hymn of Hope, Divine Hymn, shield, leap of faith, dispel, and mass dispel.

Seems to me like about the same number of abilities between how I'd play a shadow priest and what you consider essential for arms warriors.

Just counting up my warriors movement (charge, intercept, intervene, rocket jump, rocket belt, heroic leap) and crowd control ( shockwave, intimidating shout, hamstring, conc-blow, disarm) binds outnumber your list of 'essential for arms' abilities. Maybe you're way more comfortable clicking things than others are? Maybe you don't realize how many other abilities you use?

There are "essential" abilities, the main ones, those has to be keybinded above anything else. For my shadow priest I use:
    1-MB, 2-SW:Pain, 3-MF, 4-SWeath, Q-DP, E-VT, F-MSpike, X-MSear, Z-Shield... rest has long cds, no need to keybind (well...). Ever since I started using bar addons, I've been putting a 3x3 buttons in the middle-right of the screen, to click on and be easily accessible (not having to click in lower left of the screen for example), it was a way to use more abilities than my standard 10 accessible-keybindings.

So ya, I do click for the "extra" abilities. I tried to keybind them with modifiers, and... I can't seem to do it. The idea of a feet-pedal-modifier could be great though. The sad thing (sarcasm here) is that I'm blowing away my guildmates (with similar ilevel), with my combo keybind-clicks. Makes you wonder how I could do even more if I was hyper-optimal with keybinds... and I wonder how the others operate, to be so low.