Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Republicans Still Misinformed on Iraq WMD

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1616012.html

A new poll created by YouGov and Dartmouth University has uncovered some interesting results.

According to the poll, 63% of Republicans surveyed still believe that Iraq had WMD when the U.S. invaded in 2003, compared to 27% or Independents and 15% of Democrats.

Also, 40% of Republicans surveyed said that they follow foreign policy/world affairs "very closely."

To be fair, its only one poll, and this poll by no means represents the entire lot of Republicans, but it certainly doesn't make them look good either.

The poll results are actually very interesting, they ask a lot of questions and break down the answers by party affiliation. If you enjoy politics, I would encourage you to download the pdf.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    But Iraq did have WMD's, they even tested them on the Kurds, Pretty common knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    But Iraq did have WMD's, they even tested them on the Kurds, Pretty common knowledge.
    I do believe the question was if they had them when they invaded.
    In either case - if WMD had really been the reason they would have invaded back then and not 10 years later.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I do believe the question was if they had them when they invaded.
    In either case - if WMD had really been the reason they would have invaded back then and not 10 years later.
    WMD's were not the real reason, that was all bullshit. But there is no doubt Iraq had them, however there was very little chance of them ever being deployed against western nations. Israel was the only ally within range.

Deleted
    WMD's were not the real reason, that was all bullshit. But there is no doubt Iraq had them, however there was very little chance of them ever being deployed against western nations. Israel was the only ally within range.
    Eh? Iraq didn't have any WMDs at the time of the invasion. Powell's famous presentation to the UN was (knowingly or unknowingly to him) a lie.

Wesley Clark, retired US general, gives a pretty good idea of what led to the invasion here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY2DKzastu8
    Last edited by mmoca938dbbf08; 2012-06-23 at 08:57 PM.

Hate to change subjects, but is your sig a warhammer 40k reference Rich?

Huffington post + university poll?

Look at all the places we have invaded in the past 15 years, they all switch to the euro from the dollar and we move in a year later.

"But Iraq did have WMD's, they even tested them on the Kurds, Pretty common knowledge. "

What they used on the kurds isnt a wmd by their definition.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post

Look at all the places we have invaded in the past 15 years, they all switch to the euro from the dollar and we move in a year later.

"But Iraq did have WMD's, they even tested them on the Kurds, Pretty common knowledge. "

What is a WMD by definition? Also Nuclear weapons wasn't the only reason we removed Saddam. That may beyond the scope of this thread but it's true nevertheless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Hate to change subjects, but is your sig a warhammer 40k reference Rich?
    An inquisitor has almost unlimited power, but commandeering an Astertes company is not one one of them. I will take that salute from you now if you do not mind.

---------- Post added 2012-06-23 at 09:50 PM ----------

What is a WMD by your definition? The Iraqis had chemical weapons that could take out an entire town, sounds pretty mass to me.

The definition is elastic. Which is why people who bring up the the whole "no wmd's" are silly and shouldnt be debated with. The common sense definition is exactly what your describing, the liberal definition is a nuclear missle like you see in movies. Every country in the world has a wmd of some sort.

An inquisitor has almost unlimited power, but commandeering an Astertes company is not one one of them. I will take that salute from you now if you do not mind.

---------- Post added 2012-06-23 at 09:50 PM ----------

What is a WMD by your definition? The Iraqis had chemical weapons that could take out an entire town, sounds pretty mass to me.
    Ha, although technically you are mistaken kind sir, the chamber militant of the ordo malleus is a space marine chapter, and the ordo xeno has the deathwatch, its own unique chapter as well.

on a related note, ive bought some CSM this past week, going with "the purge" color scheme

10+ Year Old Account
    The definition is elastic. Which is why people who bring up the the whole "no wmd's" are silly and shouldnt be debated with. The common sense definition is exactly what your describing, the liberal definition is a nuclear missle like you see in movies. Every country in the world has a wmd of some sort.
    The definition was not elastic in 2003. The US listed WMD as biological and nuclear, not chemical.

We knew Iraq had chemical weapons, because we sold it to them.

Deleted
    Ha, although technically you are mistaken kind sir, the chamber militant of the ordo malleus is a space marine chapter, and the ordo xeno has the deathwatch, its own unique chapter as well.

on a related note, ive bought some CSM this past week, going with "the purge" color scheme
    Technically does not mean shit. The Astartes follow the Codex, not your nonsense idea of a codex.

Here is a pic of a brother training

Wait, this leads to the conclusion that liberals are the ones being silly? A justification for invading Iraq was that they had WMDs, yet your classification (your own words) of WMDs is such that every country has them. This tautological bullshit can then be used to justify invading any country whatsoever. While I suppose that is what the conservative view of the world is, those of us trying to remain tethered to reality prefer that reasons for invading countries not be completely amorphous.

Technically does not mean shit. The Astartes follow the Codex, not your nonsense idea of a codex.

Here is a pic of a brother training

ultramarines, good group, if a bit "goodie goodie two shoes" type.

Ive been working on some CSM terminators and plague marines, found out that my wife has a inate ability to paint them pretty damn well. My nurgle affliliated chapter will bring woe to the corpse god.

I suppose the issue here is similar to what we encounter with conservative denialism when it comes to evolution - deniers are literally incapable of processing new information regarding the topic. It's not simply a lack of information, it's an active desire to not want to learn anything, combined with cognitive rewards for reaffirming what's already believed. There's also more than touch of the tribalism and self satisfaction that comes with identifying with a group belief (We know the Truth).

There's probably some liberal equivalent that I'm unaware of. If someone can think of one, I'd be interested.

Deleted
    ultramarines, good group, if a bit "goodie goodie two shoes" type.

Ive been working on some CSM terminators and plague marines, found out that my wife has a inate ability to paint them pretty damn well. My nurgle affliliated chapter will bring woe to the corpse god.
    Nurgle? My good sir I commend you. Please give me the exact co-ordinates of your HQ along with that of your allies.

You try telling that to these people and they just stick there fingers in there ears and hum really loudly. It's all a game of politics for them.

Question if you know the Americans and British are coming for your WMD's what would you do with them? Personally I would hide them, move them do anything to make sure they do not find them. At the very least it would cause an problem for them even though I had no chance at winning the war.

---------- Post added 2012-06-23 at 04:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I suppose the issue here is similar to what we encounter with conservative denialism when it comes to evolution - deniers are literally incapable of processing new information regarding the topic. It's not simply a lack of information, it's an active desire to not want to learn anything, combined with cognitive rewards for reaffirming what's already believed. There's also more than touch of the tribalism and self satisfaction that comes with identifying with a group belief (We know the Truth).

There's probably some liberal equivalent that I'm unaware of. If someone can think of one, I'd be interested.
    This comment is stupid beyond belief. The only people that don't believe in evolution are the ultra religious and that is a small minority of conservatives.
    "LET TERROR RAIN!!!" ~ Warcraft III

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eothekingslayer View Post
    This comment is stupid beyond belief. The only people that don't believe in evolution are the ultra religious and that is a small minority of conservatives.
    I hate to get off topic but.....

http://www.gallup.com/poll/114544/da...evolution.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Eothekingslayer View Post
    You need to acquaint yourself with the United States general populace better -

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-250_162-2917719.html

A Gallup poll released Monday said that while the country is about evenly split over whether the theory of evolution is true, Republicans disbelieve it by more than 2-to-1.

Republicans saying they don't believe in evolution outnumbered those who do by 68 percent to 30 percent in the survey.
    Dems aren't very good in the US on this either, but Republicans (particularly the more conservative ones) are simply awful when it comes to evolution denial. That's really not the point though, I'm driving more at the similarity between the sort of denial we see in this thread with regard to WMD and evolution denialism than I am at it being conservative specific (although I'm more familiar with it from conservatives, and evolution denial's the easiest example).