Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

24 inch or 27 inch display for gaming?

is 24 inch considered the sweet spot for gaming or can i get same quality with a 27 inch?

(i plan on only using one monitor with a gtx 670/680)
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

I've had a 32 inch and it felt way too big for gaming, but maybe it's just me. I use a 24 inch now and I find it to be perfect.

It all depends on your distance from the screen and the resolution used. If you use 1920 on 1080 going over 24' is ill advised as it becomes smudgy.

10+ Year Old Account
    depends on the game.

I would personally go for a 24 inch though. if you're playing sc2 a big screen can be a problem sometimes. For most other games it doesn't make too much of a difference though. I think it's more your choice than anything.

My monitor is 24 and I think that is about right....27 might be about the biggest you should even bother getting without just using a tv instead....I use both monitor and my 40 inch tv, it really depends what type of game I'm playing, some just don't look right and are actually a lot harder to play on the big screen...WoW is one such example I don't think I could ever play on my TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerom View Post
    It all depends on your distance from the screen and the resolution used. If you use 1920 on 1080 going over 24' is ill advised as it becomes smudgy.
    what this guy said.
    depends on how far you sit from your screen.
    also the resolution. if you're still using 1920x1080 the bigger the screen the blockier it looks. so if it has higher resolutions it is better, but those are also much more taxing on your video card

Size only matters if you're going to sit further away from it.
    Resolution means more.
    If it's a 1920x1080 27", there's no point throwing the money away compared to a 1920x1080 24"

I just upgraded from a 20" that I've had for like 5 years to a 24". Considering I game at my desk, and the monitor sits maybe 2 feet from me, it's just the right size for me.

I will have to point out though, that the change from a 20" to a 24" had an odd drawback I wasn't expecting. Sweeping my eyes all the way across the 24" isn't comfortable, so I wind up having to turn my head to see each side of the screen. I can only imagine this would get worse with a 27", unless it was like 3' or farther away.

24 inch is right where you should be if you're rolling a 1920x1080 resolution. If you get any bigger it gets a little blurry. Stick to 24!

I have gone from 19" -> 23" -> 27" in the last 2 years, always used 1920x1080 res.
    I was thinking 19" is perfect for gaming. But after I got my 23" I feelt it was perfect. Now I feel my 27" is perfect. Much depends on I have changed desk from when I used the 19" so the distance to the screen is abit more (more space for keyboard and other stuff that you might want, paper when "working" and stuff)

But for 24 vs 27. If you have "limit" space between you self and screen take 24 so you dont get "too big" else I would say go for 27 imo. No diffrent in qaulity etc. Its 100% you own opinion.

---------- Post added 2012-06-24 at 08:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    24 inch is right where you should be if you're rolling a 1920x1080 resolution. If you get any bigger it gets a little blurry. Stick to 24!
    Blurry with a 27"? It all depends on the quality on the screen. My 27" is better in color/sharpnes then my 23 was

Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    It doesn't get blurry at all, that is absolutely rubbish. You aren't going to see smudging at 1080p until you hit sizes over 30inch.
    Personally i have never experienced smudging at 1080p until you hit 32 inch and above.

24 Inch is probably the sweet spot for gaming, but i watch a fair few movies and tv shows at the PC, the extra 3 inches in a 27 means i can sit a little farther away for a movie

I will have to point out though, that the change from a 20" to a 24" had an odd drawback I wasn't expecting. Sweeping my eyes all the way across the 24" isn't comfortable, so I wind up having to turn my head to see each side of the screen. I can only imagine this would get worse with a 27", unless it was like 3' or farther away.
    It is very odd at first, but you adjust. I see the whole 27 inches in one view now, no sweeping. It is all about adjustment, i remember having huge problems moving from a 15 inch CRT to 19 inch LCD. That 19 inches seemed massive back then.

That doesn't change the fact that pixels start to be HUGE at 24" or earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    i agree, although it's only an issue if your monitor only does 1920x1080, if it can do higher resolutions it's not a problem.
    still, depends on how far away from the monitor you'll be sitting, how good your vision is, how high the resolutions on the monitor can display, how good your video card is

22" at max if you're not sitting a lightyear apart of your screen...

Deleted
    I have both a 24 and a 27 inch monitor, and have to say most games are more enjoyable on the 27". What you do need to worry about if you are getting a 27" is getting a screen with WQHD resolution support (2560 x 1440), because FHD (1920x1080) doesn't really cut it for a 27".

Also, check the grey-to-grey response time on the screen, because with a big monitor you _will_ notice blur/ghosting (6ms is a good value to aim for with a 27+ screen).

On an added note, here's the monitor I just bought, and I'm loving it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236153

Great picture, great response time. This is going to sound weird, but there are a couple of reasons why I chose this monitor above most others.

First, it comes with both a VGA cable and a DVI cable. I always dreaded upgrading my monitor because I would also have to buy a new cable.
    Second, it has an HDMI slot so I could even hook up my Xbox to it if my TV ever goes wonky.
    Third, NewEgg cut the price by $25, which is always a bonus.
    Third... free shipping baby!

But really, all in all, I'm very satisfied with this monitor. Does everything I want it to and more.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    that seems like a great monitor ryuukon. i saw another asus 24 inch with built in speakers that seems to be pretty popular aswell, its 199.99.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

This one has built in speakers too, but I think it's only for HDMI output. There is only 1 1/8th inch jack on the back of the monitor, and I think that's the headphone jack since this monitor sports one.

As for the built-in speakers, I haven't tried them. But most monitors that have built-in speakers sound like crap anyway, so why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Pixels are hugh @ 24" or earlier? what res you goign with?
    with 27", 1920x1080 you have to still be close and I mean close to really see the pixels.

If you are "correct" then I need to check my eyes, for compare to 27" and 21" I really dont see a pixel diffrent with the same res. If I go for like 46" HD-TV then when Im getting close I see pixels buts that a diffrent story.
    Last edited by Christoffer1989; 2012-06-24 at 09:25 AM.

Heh, you know, I think there is one very simple solution to the entire debate about resolution vs. size.

I think the OP needs to go to a place that has monitors out and running, and take a look for himself.

Obviously some people think a certain resolution is fine at 27", while others think the same resolution looks blocky at the same screen size. Apparently it's all in the eye of the beholder.