Is there no FPS or TPS set during the Vietnam War? I'm sick of all the WW2 ones.
    You cannot do that while stunned.
    You die.
    You are dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    Is there no FPS or TPS set during the Vietnam War? I'm sick of all the WW2 ones.
    the first CoD black ops is somewhat based on vietnam

Hey guys. I did something detrimental to my gaming life by reading a couple different LitRPG novels that have made me desire a game that doesn't exist. I'm hoping that someone here can help me find something similar at least. I'm looking for a fantasy MMO where you don't start out as a set class. My preference is one where you have to learn or purchase skills that accumulate into a "class". Ideally you would also level up your skills and your level separately. I would also appreciate if the level and ability scores were separate, either by leveling the ability scores separately (preferred) or by have points to allocate to them.

The books I read were, End Online (the preferred style) and The Land.

I'm hoping the game will have some good graphics, but as long as they are not Everquest I, I should be able to handle them. As always thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this and special thanks to anyone who can offer a suggestion.

Edit: Skyrim is not what I am looking for. I don't want to have to level up my skills to increase my level. I am also looking for a much larger variety of skills than Skyrim has to offer.
    Last edited by Trythas; 2016-02-16 at 12:46 AM. Reason: New Info

Trythas,

I haven't got around to playing it yet but the one title that may be towards what you are looking for is "The Secret World". Then again I may be way off the mark as it is a modern day setting and I believe the only playable race is human (though there does seem to be monsters in the game). Nothing else has come to mind yet so good luck in your search.

P.S. Have you come across Life is Feudal? Not sure if the survival type games are something you are interested in.

- - - Updated - - -

Final Fantasy 14 has a different class/skill system as well
    Last edited by SpikeySquad; 2016-02-17 at 04:11 PM.

I'm not to into survival. they can be fun but only in small doses.
    I've played FFXIV and enjoyed it but it wasn't entirely what I was looking for. I'll have to check out The Secret World. Only Human doesn't bother me to much. Modern day might be an issue but I doubt I would ever find exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for your tip man.

Deleted
    I really liked some TellTale games like Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and The Wolf Among Us so I am looking forward to trying Tales from the Borderlands. The thing is, I never played Borderlands before so I wanted to ask people here if you need to have played those games in order to understand the story from Tales from the Borderlands.

Also, I have really enjoyed other story-oriented games like Life is Strange, The Last of Us, Beyond, Heavy Rain, Until Dawn so if anyone knows of other similar games I would appreciate any sugestions.
    Last edited by mmoc9f0bced709; 2016-02-19 at 05:14 PM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtarc1987 View Post
    I really liked some TellTale games like Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and The Wolf Among Us so I am looking forward to trying Tales from the Borderlands. The thing is, I never played Borderlands before so I wanted to ask people here if you need to have played those games in order to understand the story from Tales from the Borderlands.

Also, I have really enjoyed other story-oriented games like Life is Strange, Beyond, Heavy Rain, Until Dawn so if anyone knows of other similar games I would appreciate any sugestions.
    I think you'll be fine without knowing the story of other Borderlands games, there are recurring characters but nothing specific you need to know about them except "handsome jack's a bad guy".

As for other story-oriented games, Dreamfall Chapters is good but also a direct sequel to Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, which itself was a sequel, so you'd want to either play those two games first or read a summary on them before playing Chapters.

This has to be the one megathread that I disagree with. Seems stickies stop getting read, and thread titles "game like XXX" could generate useful discussion. Sure, they could derail, but better in it's own thread imo.

With that digression past, I'm looking for a game like Freespace (1+2). I loved those games, and still go back and play them to this day.

I tried SoL, but for some reason didn't get into it.

Suggestions? Is there anything else? Preferably on Steam.

Hopefully enough people read this. (Ok, I lied about my digression being past)
    Last edited by Aurimas; 2016-02-19 at 03:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    I think you'll be fine without knowing the story of other Borderlands games, there are recurring characters but nothing specific you need to know about them except "handsome jack's a bad guy".

As for other story-oriented games, Dreamfall Chapters is good but also a direct sequel to Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, which itself was a sequel, so you'd want to either play those two games first or read a summary on them before playing Chapters.
    Thanks for the help! I will be checking on Tales from the Borderlands first then at Dreamfall later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone know a game similar to Recettear on steam? Was reading an article about Shoppe Keep and it has some of the stuff I like, but i'm weary of EA games and some of the mechanics aren't exactly what I'm interested in.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyil View Post
    I used to play Pokemon yellow on my gameboy, loved it.
    I've got a DS lite now, what would anyone recommend for new pokemon game?
    Or should i buy one of the newest nintendo DS with a game?
    I'd suggest you buy a 3DS because you can still play DS games on it and you'll also have access to the new Pokemon games as well. If you're going to buy one Pokemon game on the 3DS though I'd recommend X/Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyil View Post
    I used to play Pokemon yellow on my gameboy, loved it.
    I've got a DS lite now, what would anyone recommend for new pokemon game?
    Or should i buy one of the newest nintendo DS with a game?
    If you just want a DS Pokemon game, get Black & White and it's sequel, Black & White 2. The region is a nostalgic throwback to the original games (as in you'll only encounter Pokemon introduced in BW during your first playthrough, and the rest appear after beating the game), and has by far the most intriguing and memorable plot of the Pokemon games.

If you want the premium Pokemon experience and don't care how much cash you blow, get a 3DS and Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire. It contains all the features of X/Y and more, including new mega evolutions, a open world (in the second half of the game), an actual endgame after the elite four (mirage islands and the opportunity to catch almost all of the legendary Pokemon from previous generations) and has a better story.

X/Y is great if you would like a fresh start to the series, but after you beat the game (which takes about 30-40 hours) there's absolutely nothing left to do other than go to town and battle at the restaurants or compete in the Battle Chateau, which gets old after 10 hours. Most competitive players have switched from X/Y to ORAS now because ORAS has all the new forms pretty much allows you to catch the vast majority of Pokemon in the franchise via Mirage Islands without needing another game or over relying on trades.

Deleted
    anyone played portal knights EA? how much content is in it already?

Deleted
    Hello. Very long story short, I no longer play games. The last game I played was Firewatch (if you can call it a game), but this was because a few friends recommended I play it. Aside from that I haven't played a game in years, aside from some WoW. I have very different sensibilities from when I used to play games properly years ago and, truthfully, very few games appeal to me now. However I do occasionally like the idea of playing a game and again, but I have a very poor XP era laptop with Win7 installed on it. So in short I'm looking for a very specific type of game. Although I didn't play many of them in the past, I've always liked the idea of playing an in-depth old school RPG with a good story. That's why Serpent in the Staglands is now on my radar. This might not work out though since I'm not really a gamer and I don't know if I could take the frustration for the sake of it. It's just occured to me now that what I might like above all else is a cosy city builder. I'm not really into modern architecture though so it'd have to be something like a medieval city builder or something. Just something to sit and play whilst having a coffee or something, you know? I really do not consider myself a gamer anymore, but that doesn't mean I'm going to play things like Candy Crush, Peggle or Angry Birds. So yes, just something cosy but in-depth and preferably old school but well known and respected.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking for a "lite" mmo game to play which still has meaningful character progression, but doesn't require hours of play per week and doesn't punish the player for not logging in every day. I unfortunately can not "no life" games anymore. Whether it's a fantasy rpg game or a shooter or something isn't really important. Good story is a plus.

Note: Destiny is not an option, as I do not play games on console.

Quote Originally Posted by thewallofsleep View Post
    I'm looking for a "lite" mmo game to play which still has meaningful character progression, but doesn't require hours of play per week and doesn't punish the player for not logging in every day. I unfortunately can not "no life" games anymore. Whether it's a fantasy rpg game or a shooter or something isn't really important. Good story is a plus.

Note: Destiny is not an option, as I do not play games on console.
    I'd recommend Warframe; meaningful progression in the form of mods where you will never be behind the curve (since the game's progression is not in numbers but variety, and the endgame consists of gathering and upgrading mods you want to make the funnest playstyle for yourself) and you can accomplish alot in a 5-15 minute mission.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suggest Spellweaver, a newly released digital card game that offers great fun and versatility. The posibilities are pretty much endless since you can mix aspects (colors, factions) to make your favourite deck. And the developer promises to add many new cards..
    https://spellweaver-tcg.com/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSarumantheWise View Post
    Hello. Very long story short, I no longer play games. The last game I played was Firewatch (if you can call it a game), but this was because a few friends recommended I play it. Aside from that I haven't played a game in years, aside from some WoW. I have very different sensibilities from when I used to play games properly years ago and, truthfully, very few games appeal to me now. However I do occasionally like the idea of playing a game and again, but I have a very poor XP era laptop with Win7 installed on it. So in short I'm looking for a very specific type of game. Although I didn't play many of them in the past, I've always liked the idea of playing an in-depth old school RPG with a good story. That's why Serpent in the Staglands is now on my radar. This might not work out though since I'm not really a gamer and I don't know if I could take the frustration for the sake of it. It's just occured to me now that what I might like above all else is a cosy city builder. I'm not really into modern architecture though so it'd have to be something like a medieval city builder or something. Just something to sit and play whilst having a coffee or something, you know? I really do not consider myself a gamer anymore, but that doesn't mean I'm going to play things like Candy Crush, Peggle or Angry Birds. So yes, just something cosy but in-depth and preferably old school but well known and respected.
    A bit late, but if you're still looking:

City builder:
    Probably something like Stronghold? It's not really a city builder, but a castle builder set in medieval times with some combat added. I have never played it myself, but I heard it is really good, and (because it's from 2001) there shouldn't be a problem with your laptop. It's on sale over the weekend on gog.
    Then there are some older city builders, like Caesar or Pharaoh/Cleopatra or Zeus/Poseidon, set in Rome/Egypt/Greece. I only played Caesar 3. It's really good, although a bit hard to get into in the beginning. The tutorials at the beginning of the first few maps only cover about half the game's systems.
    Another possibility would be Banished. It's a newer city builder - or more "village builder", since you can't really make big cities, and have to invest much more into single people there. But, I haven't gotten around to play that yet, either. So I have no idea how well suited it is for some short, quick sessions.

RPGs:
    It's hard to think of an RPG with a good and deep story which allows casual play. The only one that I can think of which you might like is Albion. It's over 20 years old, an old-school RPG with a nice and well-written story (mix of sci-fi, fantasy and celtic stuff), a huge amount of puzzles (which can be frustrating, though), turn-based combat on a chess-like field. It has A LOT of text to read, and there is no voice acting. It's ok for casual play now and then, though some puzzles may require a bit more time to solve. If you want to try it out: It's available as abandonware, though you need dosbox to run it on newer systems (also free).
    There are also a myriad of old-school-cRPGs that came out in the past few years, mostly by indie-developers. But I haven't gotten the time to look into any of them, so no idea which would fit your criteria there.

If someone asked you to recommend a cute game, preferably of the RPG variety with many many felines, what would you recommend?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    If someone asked you to recommend a cute game, preferably of the RPG variety with many many felines, what would you recommend?
    Monster Hunter I guess? It's not super cute though, but there are a bunch of felines in it. That's the only game off the top of my head that has a lot of cats in it. In Monster Hunter Generations which is coming out this summer, you can play as a Felyne.

It's an Action RPG tho, not your traditional JRPG.