in the games i'm looking for ya. i was answering them in order with the set of questions ya gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Singing Joe View Post
    in the games i'm looking for ya. i was answering them in order with the set of questions ya gave me.
    Rift, Aion, Lotro, Neverwinter online, Tera, Dragons prophet, path of exile, age of conan, vindictus to name a few.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Volt - Grakata - Lex Prime - Dragon Nikana -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

ok, i'll look into those games in a bit. thanks for your time then.

Great horror games

I'm looking for some good horror games to play on PC that are somewhat modern (2006 to now). I'd like to avoid a game where you can't fight back (Amnesia, Outlast, etc), but I don't want something as action oriented as the more recent Resident Evil games (which I also don't find that scary). Any suggestions? I'm highly considering buying Outlast, but I want to at least have the option to fight back (maybe I'm too much of a wimp to deal with how scary it is to only be able to run and hide...).

Thanks, all.

Eh... the option to fight back removes the "Horror" part of any so called "horror" game. Making a frightening game is close to impossible. What you want is a action game with scary atmosphere.

If you can fight back, the only elements it can rely on is bad jump scares. For a game to truly be a "horror" game, it has to give you the feeling of hopelessness in an impossible situation, making you feel like everything can be your death, and that creepy feeling of some guy always standing behind you. But that feeling is kinda diminished if you can just turn around and shoot the thing.

I fully recommend Penumbra. You can fight back, but you don't want to, because your character isn't a good fighter.

Added a link for you: http://www.penumbragame.com/game.php
    Last edited by Cyonis; 2013-10-13 at 09:38 PM.

Signature by Shyama

First Dead Space? If you're willing to go back to '01 or '03, I'd recommend trying to get a hold of Silent Hill 2 and 3. They're horror. Suffocating, disturbing horror.

Also agree 100% with your perspective, Zogarth. For a game to be truly horrifying, the player must never feel equal to or more powerful than the monsters that are pursuing them. They must always be the prey, never the predator. Otherwise it's just a series a jump scares and not sustained and oppressive horror.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Eh... the option to fight back removes the "Horror" part of any so called "horror" game. Making a frightening game is close to impossible. What you want is a action game with scary atmosphere.

If you can fight back, the only elements it can rely on is bad jump scares. For a game to truly be a "horror" game, it has to give you the feeling of hopelessness in an impossible situation, making you feel like everything can be your death, and that creepy feeling of some guy always standing behind you. But that feeling is kinda diminished if you can just turn around and shoot the thing.
    I largely agree with this. Some games, like select Silent Hills, are good horror games that allow fighting back, but taking away the ability to fight can really make a game scary. OP: Outlast is FANTASTIC! Get it!

Also: Silent Hill 2 and 3 are awesome. 4 is pretty good, too, but anything after that seems iffy.

Silent Hill 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    I largely agree with this. Some games, like select Silent Hills, are good horror games that allow fighting back, but taking away the ability to fight can really make a game scary. OP: Outlast is FANTASTIC! Get it!

Also: Silent Hill 2 and 3 are awesome. 4 is pretty good, too, but anything after that seems iffy.
    In Silent Hill, fighting back is very limited, and not like other games like Dead Space where you can fight well. Also, as i recall in Silent hill 2 (I think it is) running was often preferable to fighting. Btw, Silent Hill 2 is brilliant. But imo anything after the second game is really not that awesome... Also, i left that game out as he said 2006 and onwards.

Resident evil 1 2 3 0 code veronica x. All goo and amazing classics, they were remastered recently so should be modern enough for you. Anything past those with resident evil name isnt resident evil.

Silent Hill. I still don't understand how I played through that.

I remember how a pal of mine whom I made to play it, told me after 30 minutes he'll never touch that game again. Not the greatest horror fans <.>
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Thinking about it, would Dark Souls count?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Thinking about it, would Dark Souls count?
    It's action RPG, not horror game.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

My vote goes to the silent hill franchise and parasite eve.

I will post a reply that is both inappropriate, and entirely to the point. If you truly want a horror game experience you have to step away from the console/computer.
    Buy dice.
    Buy The Call of Cthulu.
    Find a good GM (preferably with a background in theater) and six friends.
    Playing in a vacation cabin, by lamplight, during a storm, helps too.

Amensia, The Dark Descent, play this at night with the headphones extremely high. Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Waarheid View Post
    I will post a reply that is both inappropriate, and entirely to the point. If you truly want a horror game experience you have to step away from the console/computer.
    Buy dice.
    Buy The Call of Cthulu.
    Find a good GM (preferably with a background in theater) and six friends.
    Playing in a vacation cabin, by lamplight, during a storm, helps too.
    Where do you find a good GM?

Signature by Shyama

could someone suggest me a mmorpg could care less if it's new or older, f2p or p2p. i'm looking for something that sucks you into the games world, being fun to play and has a vast interesting world to explore. really looking to find something that doesn't lean towards looking for group buttons for everything and makes you socialize in order to group up for anything. it has a good story and so forth.