Hey guys, I really enjoy farming in wow(planting crops) then waiting a day for them to grow. Is there any game like that? ty

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    try farmville

Deleted
    I heard that the Sunsong Ranch in WoW took a lot of inspiration from the Harvest Moon series as well, so might be worthwhile checking that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Malderon View Post
    Hey guys, I really enjoy farming in wow(planting crops) then waiting a day for them to grow. Is there any game like that? ty
    Any of the Harvest Moon games will fit that bill.

Deleted
    Thanks to Merawen and Fencers for suggesting X3. Somehow I've never heard of it before. I checked a few vids and it looks really good. There seems to be 3 versions: Reunion, Albion Prelude and Terran Conflict. Albion Prelude is the latest one. In some places it says it's a standalone but in others it says it needs one of the other games to work. Anyone know?

Edit: apparently it needs a full installation of Terran Conflict.

L4 New MMO

Burnt out BAD on WoW, so bad I'm probably going to take a very, very long hiatus away from it. Perhaps indefinitely depending on how it evolves.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Warcraft universe and own/read almost all the books available for it. That said, going on many, many years later it's become the same old song and dance. I think namely because the combat itself has grown so stale that I find doing just about anything concerning fighting as a chore. Which is essentially the entirety of the game.

SO! I as the title implies I am looking to find a new MMO to play. I know there are many, many out there--hence the thread. Let me tell you a bit about my habits/likes on WoW to give you a better idea of where I might find a suitable home.

* I role-play and do so on a pretty high-level. I like story weaving and character design, so it works out well for me.
    * I LOVE collecting things. I am a collector at heart. Mounts. Showy gear. Pets. So on...
    * I tend to prefer action combat versus more static combat.
    * The more character options, the better!
    * Quirky things like player housing make me giggle-fit.

...and I'll leave it at that. Please do not recommend Guild Wars 2 because as nice of a game as it is, I already own it and find it a bit disappointing. Especially in the performance department which kills the only thing I really enjoy on it--WvW. Any takers? Flaunt your MMO of choice and I'll happily, at the very least, look into it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitterfly View Post
    ...and I'll leave it at that. Please do not recommend Guild Wars 2 because as nice of a game as it is, I already own it and find it a bit disappointing. Especially in the performance department which kills the only thing I really enjoy on it--WvW. Any takers? Flaunt your MMO of choice and I'll happily, at the very least, look into it!
    Tera and the upcoming Neverwinter would fit your needs. Both have action-y combat [less so than GW2] but lots of collectibles and so on. Including tons of mounts.

Both are free. Tera is "no bullshit" free. Neverwinter is free 2 play but it's still in beta so anything can change.

Another good one is Raiderz. Again, lots of things to collect and action-y combat. Pretty cool idea in that all your gear is crafted from monsters you defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Tera and the upcoming Neverwinter would fit your needs. Both have action-y combat [less so than GW2] but lots of collectibles and so on. Including tons of mounts.

Both are free. Tera is "no bullshit" free. Neverwinter is free 2 play but it's still in beta so anything can change.

Another good one is Raiderz. Again, lots of things to collect and action-y combat. Pretty cool idea in that all your gear is crafted from monsters you defeat.
    Tera is a tempting idea, although Asian based MMOs tend to worry me.

I'll keep my eye on Neverwinter.

Tera is a tempting idea, although Asian based MMOs tend to worry me.

I'll keep my eye on Neverwinter.
    No need to have any hesitation w/r/t Free 2 Play MMOs. Install, try them. Don't like it, uninstall.

There isn't anything else that fits your criteria I can think of except Guild Wars 2. Which you are not interested in.

No need to have any hesitation w/r/t Free 2 Play MMOs. Install, try them. Don't like it, uninstall.

There isn't anything else that fits your criteria I can think of except Guild Wars 2. Which you are not interested in.
    GW2 runs horrendously on the higher end, multi-core CPUs it seems when in large fights. I'll have a drop of frames to 30fps with literally 30% of my GPU being used. It totally comes across as an engine designed for consoles but they never quite got that far. I mean hell, there's no real support for 64-bit and DX11 which is very odd for such a modern game.

It finally got to me too much in WvW and now I just can't bring myself to play it.

GW2 runs horrendously on the higher end, multi-core CPUs it seems when in large fights. I'll have a drop of frames to 30fps with literally 30% of my GPU being used. It totally comes across as an engine designed for consoles but they never quite got that far. I mean hell, there's no real support for 64-bit and DX11 which is very odd for such a modern game.

It finally got to me too much in WvW and now I just can't bring myself to play it.
    Guild Wars 2 runs on a modified version of the Guild Wars 1 engine.

As I said, I really can't think of anything else that meets the demands of: Action MMO, collectables such as pets/mounts/gear and robust character creation. Your desires are sorta at odds with the market.

Guild Wars 2 runs on a modified version of the Guild Wars 1 engine.

As I said, I really can't think of anything else that meets the demands of: Action MMO, collectables such as pets/mounts/gear and robust character creation. Your desires are sorta at odds with the market.
    I know, the market sucks. XD

Developers lack any creativity and tend to be very short-sighted, I honestly wonder if these are the same people that grew up imagining designing games or just stumbled into it due to inherent skill in other areas. They just copy one another and go down very linear paths of design.

Hmm... maybe Aion might be a good choice? It ran poorly on my last rig so I have a feeling despite this one being much, much stronger it'll only run as bad if not worse. Too many of these MMO games utilize older engines that wreak havoc on newer systems. I might end up finding myself just abstaining from MMOs entirely at this rate if they're not going to at least attempt to give options to the big riggers.

Ironic that WoW has done a better job of that than any other and its aim was never even remotely close to catering towards high-end machines.
    Last edited by Kitterfly; 2013-03-26 at 06:46 PM.

Deleted
    A bit of a disclaimer, was a while ago since I played Aion, so I'm not entirely up to date. And not to mention, us poor Europeans got the patches later than the Americans, so...

Aion does have player plenty of pets for you to collect. They're also interactive, allowing you to play with them, groom them etc. Mounts are a bit lacking in numbers (I think there were four?), but they're all unique design-wise. A form of transmogrification is around, and you can also dye your armour/clothes, either through vendor dyes or petals found on particular plants. There's a whole bunch of vendors dedicated to selling purely pretty stuff for you to transmog into, and there are fewer restrictions compared to WoW. Player housing also exists, though you need to pay fairly large amounts of money for anything other than a small studio. The character creation tool is still as exhaustive as ever, so I doubt that's a problem. Still only Elyos and Asmodians to choose between, however. Can't say much about the roleplaying aspect, sadly. There are questlines and a big campaign taking you through the entirety of each zone for the sake of story cohesion, but there aren't any realms/servers that enforce roleplaying, which might make finding buddies hard.

As for the combat... Well, it's kind of similar to WoW. Click spell, smack monster, wait for it to die. Admittedly, a bit more is added to it through chain/combo skills and moving in certain directions shifts your stats (running forward grants higher offense but lower defense, moving backwards does the opposite, strafing grants higher evasion), but otherwise it's pretty same'ish. The PvP combat at least has a far higher pace, with damage values being very high for the health you have in comparison to WoW.

Now, I don't know whether you're American or European, but I did quit Aion a while ago because the European game is extremely restricted. Yes, I know that these companies want to make money, but it was very stupid at the time I was playing. You couldn't use the global chats, making groups a nightmare to assemble. You couldn't trade, you couldn't use the auction house/trade broker, gathering materials for crafting was capped, even the gold you could gain per day was capped stupidly low when you came up in the levels. Don't know if it has changed, but it was a huge hurdle which just broke me in the end. :/

As far as I know it, the NA version is not capped at all--would anyone care to correct me if I am wrong?

Anyway, I installed it and to my shock with the high quality engine, all sliders maxed out, even VS on, it runs constantly above 60fps. Clearly, whatever hindered my other machine with this game doesn't seem to effect the current. Hopefully this will persist to other areas of the game beyond the starting island.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venoma View Post
    Greetings forum dwellers!

Long time reader, first time poster. My wife and I used to play games quite a lot together; it all started w/ vanilla WoW and since then have played Rift & Swtor (albeit only for a few months after they were launched), as well as the odd TF2 match. She got sick of WoW long ago but I've stuck in there (for the PvP mainly) - playing on and off for months at a time.

When Diablo 3 was coming out I was planning & hoping it would be our 'next game', something we would both be interested in for years to come. Unfortunately, she couldn't get into D3 and even I got sick of it very soon after hitting 60.

She loves the Mass Effect franchise, as well as Skyrim and Oblivion before that. Unfortunately, none of these games are multiplayer (excluding the few co-op ME3 missions). Now I try and keep up with gaming news, reading plenty of different sites but for the life of me cannot figure out a game that we can play together (I think I would give up my left hanging fruit for a co-op Skyrim).

So my question is: what games do you play with your spouses/partners? Can you make any recommendations to me specifically taking into consideration games I've listed above?

Thanks for the responses!

PS: I've floated the idea of Path of Exile to her, but I think she has an inherent problem with top-down games, preferring a 1st or 3rd person angle. Oh and even with all the changes, D3 is still out of the question.
    apart from the elder scrolls mmo and path of exile there is really no intresting coop games anytime soon in that genre so unless you can get her into wow again your probaly on your own unless she likes starcraft 2 fights/custom games or something like left4dead or lol.

Looking for ideas for PS3

Me and my wife just recently got a PS3, the white edition bundle, which the games are pretty fun and all - we also got Tomb Raider with it; already beat that so far, few things left to unlock, but we're trying to look for ideas from some people of some good PS3 games to play out there.

We just got Far Cry 3, and its ok so far, but doesn't seem something that I could play for a long time - maybe just not into FPS's as much as I used to be with the Halo series on the 360. Tomb Raider was amazing though, really enjoyed the gameplay in that - also got the Splinter Cell HD Trilogy bundle, which Chaos Theory was really the only one I missed much.

I was considering Bioshock: Infinite, wasn't sure how long of gameplay that has to it, and if its something that actually has some decent replay value. Same with God of War: Ascension. I played a bit of it at Gamestop, and it seemed pretty fun, but wasn't sure if the whole game is like that or not.

As stated, mostly looking for something open world, games that are more about building up a character, or even something that me and my wife may enjoy playing together. Some other ideas may be something that if it only had single player, that it gave different perspectives from choices we made. I was considering doing Skyrim again, but we both played it on the PC and got pretty far into it.

Just trying to get some decent ideas, appreciate anything anyone can provide for us!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruhex View Post
    As stated, mostly looking for something open world, games that are more about building up a character, or even something that me and my wife may enjoy playing together. Some other ideas may be something that if it only had single player, that it gave different perspectives from choices we made. I was considering doing Skyrim again, but we both played it on the PC and got pretty far into it.
    any other genres besides open world?
    for open worlds you could try: just cause 2, borderlands 1 and 2, fallout 3

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    any other genres besides open world?
    for open worlds you could try: just cause 2, borderlands 1 and 2, fallout 3
    Played Fallout 3 and New Vegas, awesome games, burnt out on them though - I was never a fan of the Borderlands series... Im open to suggestions even if they aren't open world, but at least have a good storyline to them for a decent amount of gameplay - Didnt try Just Cause 2, actually going to look into that one though as well, appreciate it!

Try Infamous 1 & 2. Games are a lot of fun.

Seeking game like Civilization

I like games like Civilization, but I would like to try something new. Can you suggest me games that are similar to Civ where I manage a country and what not? I was looking at Masters of The World Geopolitical Simulator 3, but I'm not willing to drop 50 dollars on it without trial to see if I like it or not.