Quote Originally Posted by AstroleonShadowflower View Post
    Preferably obscure stuff on Steam. Doesn't matter of the graphics as long as it's a decent sneaking experience.

Stuff I am thinking of, like Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, Deus Ex, Hitman, Dishonored, Mark Of The Ninja... stuff like that.

Also, any opinions on Thief? Is it worth playing?
    Yes, the thief games are a blast. The AC games are fun as well.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Deleted

Back in to gaming...

Hello. Born in the early 90s, I used to be an avid gamer. My longest and most 'core' gaming experience would be a World of Warcraft play time of, well, six or seven years. I've tried at least twenty MMOs in my time. However, since I've found other pursuits in life I've found it hard to get interested in games again. I stopped playing games, apart from WoW and some of my standard 'go to' games, TF2, CS:S and MC, more than a year ago. I hadn't thought about games in a long time, though I still kept up with WoW news. There was a point when I delved back into games, with the completion of Limbo (because I wanted an interesting, atmospheric experience) and the entire Half Life series (because I wanted to experience the legendary series which I hadn't ever played before). But after playing all of the Half Life games I haven't purchased another game. But recently, about a week or so ago, I started watching Extra Credits again. Daniel and James made me think about my relationship with gaming and I'm looking to get back in to it after a relatively short hiatus.

The type of game I think I want to play would be the following:

Mature, heavy theme
    Doesn't have a cute art style, but a realistic one
    Isn't reflex/action based, but centered around dialogue, exploration and logic puzzles.
    Has interesting, flawed characters
    Poignant story

Maybe I'm looking for something like an adventure game? A sort of Telltale-esque point and click adventure with a lot of dialogue? But again, it has to fit the criteria above. I'm just not in to the whole fast paced, adrenaline games anymore.

I'm interested in ancient history, nature, science and mythology.

Thanks
    Last edited by mmoc37b524a896; 2013-08-06 at 10:19 PM.

Try Final Fantasy XII. It fits all your criterias. Don't listen to people who will start speaking you out of it, it's a very great game. I'd recommend you some other games too, but I doubt they would fit your "art style" requirement.

The Witcher 2.

That is the game you want to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The Witcher 2.

That is the game you want to play.
    Doesn't it have too "action'ish" combat? I remember it was one of deal-breakers for me and as such it doesn't fit OP's criteria.
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2013-08-06 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    Doesn't it have too "action'ish" combat? I remember it was one of deal-breakers for me and as such it doesn't fit OP's criteria.
    Action combat in that it isn't turn based. Witcher 2 is not necessarily taxing or demanding of high reflex/twitch gameplay, however. The "action" is pretty light, imo.

You mentioned Telltale but you didn't mention Walking Dead, have you played it? If not, go get it.

You might want to check out Amnesia and Alan Wake. Not as dialogue-centric, but very good games that aren't twitch/reflex based.

Quote Originally Posted by LordSarumantheWise View Post
    Hello. Born in the early 90s, I used to be an avid gamer. My longest and most 'core' gaming experience would be a World of Warcraft play time of, well, six or seven years. I've tried at least twenty MMOs in my time. However, since I've found other pursuits in life I've found it hard to get interested in games again. I stopped playing games, apart from WoW and some of my standard 'go to' games, TF2, CS:S and MC, more than a year ago. I hadn't thought about games in a long time, though I still kept up with WoW news. There was a point when I delved back into games, with the completion of Limbo (because I wanted an interesting, atmospheric experience) and the entire Half Life series (because I wanted to experience the legendary series which I hadn't ever played before). But after playing all of the Half Life games I haven't purchased another game. But recently, about a week or so ago, I started watching Extra Credits again. Daniel and James made me think about my relationship with gaming and I'm looking to get back in to it after a relatively short hiatus.

The type of game I think I want to play would be the following:

Mature, heavy theme
    Isn't reflex/action based, but centered around dialogue, exploration and logic puzzles.
    Poignant story

Maybe I'm looking for something like an adventure game? A sort of Telltale-esque point and click adventure with a lot of dialogue? But again, it has to fit the criteria above. I'm just not in to the whole fast paced, adrenaline games anymore.

I'm interested in ancient history, nature, science and mythology.

Thanks

Well the good thing is that you really know what you are looking for. But the bad thing is that there are not many games that check marks all of them.

I see that you ain't a big fan on action based combat, but most of the current games are currently focused on action based combat to a certain extent.

If you are actually looking for an adventure game filled with emotions, exploration, etc there are a few games that I really recommend.

The first - You have to play the Mass Effect series. Its pretty engaging. However, its a Sci Fi game. Just look it up. There are 3 games in the series, but its pretty good at what it does. There is a lot of dialogue and conversing with NPCs in the game. Its pretty mature and has some of the most interesting characters in modern gaming.

If you are looking for an open world gaming experience, Skyrim fits the bill. Its wast and you can be whoever you want to be in Skyrim. There is just so much to do, I promise you'll never get bored if you are into those kind of games. Skyrim's biggest selling point is their realistic and unique art style. The coolest thing about this game, is that if you get your hands on a bunch of mods, it just makes the game even better. You could even go back and get into the earlier ones in the Elder Scrolls Series.

Another one that is pretty amazing is the Fallout Series, especially Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

If you looking for something a bit medieval then the Assassin Creed series is pretty good. Strong and interesting characters, good setting and a very good all round game. You could even get yourself prepared for the new game in the series that is coming out.

Those are probably some of the best games that have come out over the last few years. Also take a look at Witcher and Grand Theft Auto. They may not meet your requirements, but GTA4 is a perfect game when you just want to relax and have some fun.

But if I were you I would simply stay away from any of the Final Fantasy stuff. With all due respect, I can never understand how anyone would even like that stuff. The art style is just a bit unrealistic. You basically have your characters looking like dolls in games. That is with every single Asian/Chinese game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    Try Final Fantasy XII. It fits all your criterias. Don't listen to people who will start speaking you out of it, it's a very great game. I'd recommend you some other games too, but I doubt they would fit your "art style" requirement.
    And I just did. Well I will not derail the thread, but every game have their fans and ones that don't like the game. Its a good game and meets all the requirements of a good RPG with its story telling, characters, emotion, etc; however, the art style or whatever you want to call it is just so repulsive, you cannot simply put up with it regardless how good the game is. Its the biggest turn off. Imagine actually staring at the screen with that style. Even the story is just not something I would even consider fantasy. Its just that I am so heavily influenced by Tolkein's fantasy its hard trying to like or imagine anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Witcher 2!

As said above, it does have some action, you are a monster-hunter after all, although you do spend a fair share of that time exploring the beautiful world and interacting with other characters. Just stick it on the lowest difficulty and combat will be breeze. Just as a warning, the 'prologue' whilst it does introduce you to the story is mainly a combat tutorial, so don't judge it too quickly.

Just a question, why do you not want to play 'action' games? You're missing out on some really good stories and experience by throwing all of those games to the side.
    Last edited by Ineko; 2013-08-06 at 11:41 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSarumantheWise View Post
    Mature, heavy theme
    Poignant story
    You're looking for Dragon Age: Origins. Play through it on easy and just enjoy the story, occasionally trying out the different combat strategies available. If the combat strategies become frustrating, then google the cheats and walk through the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    But if I were you I would simply stay away from any of the Final Fantasy stuff. With all due respect, I can never understand how anyone would even like that stuff. The art style is just a bit unrealistic. You basically have your characters looking like dolls in games. That is with every single Asian/Chinese game.
    Did you actually play Final Fantasy XII :) I could agree on some of games in the series, but all FF XII characters are pretty european and realistic. There is barely anything resembling Asian culture (at least how it is represented in various media). It has quite interesting and very complex plot and quite a big world with interesting dungeons, game also features one of those currently rare non-action based combat systems with a lot of depth to it - you can configure it as much as you want with gambits (special feature of it's battle system) or can ignore them if you don't like those.

Also, maybe I am wrong as with Witcher 2 (as didn't played it and can't say how much action'ish it was, just know that it involved real-time fighting with some kind of "mini-games" on specific moves), but from what I saw in previous TES games (Skyrim is most recent game in TES series), combat is damn awful. You needed to do some zigzags with your mouse just to attack in melee, you can't really play the way you want, as enemies auto-scale to your level, etc. If something changed for Skyrim (doubtfully) people will correct me.
    Just a question, why do you not want to play 'action' games? You're missing out on some really good stories and experience by throwing all of those games to the side.
    I am with OP on this one. Not every game has both - good gameplay and story. But people can read books if they want some super good story. If game doesn't provide good story, that sucks but bearable. If game doesn't provide gameplay you'd wanted, that makes it much harder to bear with. Non-action gameplay requires different approach and have entirely different pacing, to everyone it's own, though it is usual for young people to have blast from action'ish games, and for older people - from games which are based more on thinking. If in action-combat game, enemy prepares some nuke, you have few seconds to react. In non-action-combat, you can consider various approaches to counter that nuke (where you have more of those, unlike action-combat, where most of the time it comes down to manual dodging) at your leisure and involves some kind of strategy. Such games are rarity on PC nowadays, so it is either games on consoles or pure adventure games, some of which were suggested above.
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2013-08-07 at 01:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

games similar to penumbra and amnesia

are there any games similar to penumbra and amnesia without the horror part ?

10+ Year Old Account
    looking for something similar to penumbra and amnesia but without horror element

any games like that ?

Deleted
    Looking for games with cartoony graphics. The genre doesn't matter as long as it's not FPS, tower defense or platformer. (I'm not in the mood for platformers)

I've played and liked anything by Blizzard, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, the Rayman games and the Worms games.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Samakuro View Post
    Looking for games with cartoony graphics. The genre doesn't matter as long as it's not FPS, tower defense or platformer. (I'm not in the mood for platformers)

I've played and liked anything by Blizzard, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, the Rayman games and the Worms games.

Any suggestions?
    If you have a PS3 then take a look at Ni No Kuni, it's an amazing RPG with amazing anime like graphics and a very cool combat system (similar to pokemon).

Also, you can take a look at Torchlight II, which is very similar to Diablo 3, except that it's a lot better.

10+ Year Old Account
    im looking for some PC game with good story decent combat and not too cartoony graphics. i have played DA:O DA 2 ME 1-3 Fallout NV SWKotOR 1-2 i have tried getting into skyrim but just couldnti have played Borderlands 1-2 Saints row 2-3 (please do not suggest GTA). any star wars game is welcome ( have played force unleashed 1-2, jedi knight outcast and academy empire at war+ xpac and a couple of classes in SWTOR) else something along the lines of previously mentioned games would be nice

Try the Witcher (both 1 and 2 are good, 2 is better in my opinion but both are definitely worth playing)

I just quit runescape because of all the terrible updates after playing for a super long time (like 10 years) and now I'm looking for a new game thats free and has good crafting and other skills much like runescape had.

Games I have already tried:
    SWTOR
    RIFT
    Star Trek Online
    LOTRO
    GW2
    DCUO
    Last edited by AWBridgers; 2013-08-11 at 06:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AWBridgers View Post
    I just quit runescape because of all the terrible updates after playing for a super long time (like 10 years) and now I'm looking for a new game thats free and has good crafting and other skills much like runescape had.

Games I have already tried:
    SWTOR
    RIFT
    Star Trek Online
    LOTRO
    GW2
    DCUO
    if crafting is something you want to be a large part of the game then you should try out Firefall its currently in beta (open) but crafting is a large part of it