Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Been watching a lot of Greek mythology and Rome stuff lately in my World History class and began to wonder if there are any good Mythology games?
    Looking for something sort of like "Age of Mythology" (Awesome game BTW) I want the game to be an RTS or RPG. Really looking for an RTS game because i enjoy games with strategy. Base building is always fun and i am looking for something a little new. Not too old, i'd like pretty decent graphics. Game-play is always a huge factor for me. Combat should be nice to look at when zooming in on the fights. I have tried the total war series but just can't seem to get into them, any help?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Looking for a single-player type of WoW esque gameplay. Something that uses hotbars, has the general use of tank/healing/dps type roles, even though it'll be by yourself, but the option to perform any of those 3 roles would be appreciated.

Heres what I have played

~ TES: 3/4/5

~ Two Worlds

~ Fallout 3/NV

~ Mass Effect 1/2

~ SW: KOTR

~ Dragon Age: Origins

I've probably missed a few, but those are the general ones.

But yes, something that uses hotbars, has a general dps output and has a great feel of character progression & customization as in the options of how to play the character in combat. Customizing the characters looks/feel outside of combat isn't a huge issue. Crafting/Professions are a huge plus.

Keep in mind, I'd prefer something single-player. Something I can play by myself & only myself. I play enough MMO's as it is X_X. Co-op is ok, but again I'd prefer to stay away from the MMO in this one.
    Last edited by Angarin; 2013-09-08 at 02:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    Looking for a single-player type of WoW esque gameplay. Something that uses hotbars, has the general use of tank/healing/dps type roles, even though it'll be by yourself, but the option to perform any of those 3 roles would be appreciated.

Heres what I have played

~ Two Worlds

~ Fallout 3/NV

~ Mass Effect 1/2

But yes, something that uses hotbars, has a general dps output and has a great feel of character progression & customization as in the options of how to play the character in combat. Customizing the characters looks/feel outside of combat isn't a huge issue. Crafting/Professions are a huge plus.

Keep in mind, I'd prefer something single-player. Something I can play by myself & only myself. I play enough MMO's as it is X_X. Co-op is ok, but again I'd prefer to stay away from the MMO in this one.
    dragon age origins you have hotbar combat can somewhat change roles and its singleplayer rpg
    and an awesome story

Quote Originally Posted by gegalfo View Post
    dragon age origins you have hotbar combat can somewhat change roles and its singleplayer rpg
    and an awesome story
    That was one I forgot to mention actually, I've played that.

Heres what I have played

~ Two Worlds

~ Fallout 3/NV

~ Mass Effect 1/2

I'd be interested to know that as well.

Deleted
    Need some advice for this year. I cant decide on what racer to get either Gran Turismo 6, Drive Club or The Crew?

10+ Year Old Account

Heres what I have played

~ Two Worlds

~ Fallout 3/NV

~ Mass Effect 1/2

you might like Divinity 2: Ego Draconis. it's real time combat and you only play a single character, but it is hotbar based and you can take all kinds of different weapons, spells, etc.
    i wouldn't say it's as good as most you mentioned, but honestly, you won't find many games that beat ME and DA, imo^^ it's still a decent rpg, and actually has a pretty unique humor.

and since you seem to like rpgs, i suggest you try The Witcher. the combat in the first game is pretty bad, but it's still a great rpg. you can start with The Witcher 2 right away, although the story will then not be quite as enjoyable of course.

also, i assume you meant "SW: KOTOR" in your list, not "SW: TOR". so you might even like the later. it is an mmo, and most quests have the usual "kill 10 of this, gather 5 of that" mmo objectives, but it might well be worth playing just for the story missions, which are actually fantastic (imo) and don't require you to interact with other players at all if you don't feel like it.
    or, of course, if you've played TOR, but not KOTOR, i suggest trying that. it's pretty old already, but a fantastic rpg and kind-of-hotbar-like combat

oh, and while dragon age 2 probably isn't as good as origins, it's still decent and i think worth trying.
    Last edited by Sy; 2013-09-09 at 01:46 AM.

I'll look into divinity, I was considering it, but it looked like a cheap knock off like two worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll look into divinity, I was considering it, but it looked like a cheap knock off like two worlds.
    i wouldn't say that, no. it actually has a pretty nice world and great humor, yet still a decent (although rather cliché fantasy) story.
    the dragon combat is meh, but you don't have to use it often if you don't want to, it's mainly for side quests and exploring.

just don't expect most rpgs to live up to what you might be used to from bioware's stuff :P

there's also an expansion pack ("dragon knight saga") but i haven't played that, so no idea if it's any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    i wouldn't say that, no. it actually has a pretty nice world and great humor, yet still a decent (although rather cliché fantasy) story.
    the dragon combat is meh, but you don't have to use it often if you don't want to, it's mainly for side quests and exploring.

just don't expect most rpgs to live up to what you might be used to from bioware's stuff :P

there's also an expansion pack ("dragon knight saga") but i haven't played that, so no idea if it's any good.
    So its an open world game? If thats so, thats fantastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    So its an open world game? If thats so, thats fantastic.
    not really, although there are quite big open areas with quite a lot of secrets to find and sidequests to do. it's not a tunnel (like most of mass effect and dragon age) by any means, but you do not have access to the whole world right away, and some areas later become inaccessible as the story progresses. so if you're thinking of an open world like the elder scrolls game, then no.

enemies also don't scale in difficulty, so you can easily run into enemies that are too high level for you to stand a chance, or of course too low to be a challenge.
    i would suggest doing every possible quest you can find in the starting village (the one after what's basically the tutorial) and it's little valley, as the enemies in the next area are very hard to deal with if you haven't got enough xp and gear. besides, most of the quests really are quite fun :]

- - - Updated - - -

oh, and i just thought of another one: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

it is actually kind of similar to ego draconis in gameplay, 'class' system, quests, world, etc; not amazing, but i think worth trying.
    i found it to be repetitive after a while and didn't finish it, so i can only tell about the first third or so, but even for that part i spend 35h of play time^^
    Last edited by Sy; 2013-09-10 at 01:09 AM.

I just noticed this, I forgot baulders gate is a 'party' based game. Is it similar in the ways of controlling your party like dragon age & SW: KOTOR?

Yes it's similar to those except it's an isometric view game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just noticed this, I forgot baulders gate is a 'party' based game. Is it similar in the ways of controlling your party like dragon age & SW: KOTOR?
    sort of similar to dragon age. you can have 5 companions (plus yourself) in your party, and there are tons of different classes.

it is of course quite old however, which is notable in more things like just graphics. the combat is generally pretty clunky and often inbalanced compared to what you are probably used to.
    but it still has a great story and great characters. most aren't fully voiced, but the dialogues themselves are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    sort of similar to dragon age. you can have 5 companions (plus yourself) in your party, and there are tons of different classes.

it is of course quite old however, which is notable in more things like just graphics. the combat is generally pretty clunky and often inbalanced compared to what you are probably used to.
    but it still has a great story and great characters. most aren't fully voiced, but the dialogues themselves are awesome
    Is there any games similar to it nowadays besides what bioware makes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there any games similar to it nowadays besides what bioware makes?
    hmm, not that i know of. the only one i can think of that kinda fits would be Shadowrun Returns, which is a recent indie title. it does have isometric, round based combat with a party. however, these party members are almost exclusively temporarily hired for only one mission. it does have interesting characters outside of combat missions though (there's a lot of text based talking in that game). since it's a 20 bucks indie title, it's rather short though (12-18h, apparently) and the combat itself is rather simplistic, with focus more on dialogues and story.

I suppose the only thing that is current that is remotely similar are tactical squad based games like X-Comm. Not an RPG but you do control more than just one person there for combat situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I suppose the only thing that is current that is remotely similar are tactical squad based games like X-Comm. Not an RPG but you do control more than just one person there for combat situations.
    yeah, i was thinking about x-com too. shadowrun returns' combat has pretty clearly taken ideas from it.
    but it's still probably not what someone is looking for who wants rpgs with party characters.

Deleted
    Hey I'm looking for a game similiar to DayZ - you know, a shooter or any other type of MMO in which the main goal is to SURVIVE. Are there even games like that? And don't tell me to try shit called WarZ.