Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Eh... the option to fight back removes the "Horror" part of any so called "horror" game. Making a frightening game is close to impossible. What you want is a action game with scary atmosphere.

If you can fight back, the only elements it can rely on is bad jump scares. For a game to truly be a "horror" game, it has to give you the feeling of hopelessness in an impossible situation, making you feel like everything can be your death, and that creepy feeling of some guy always standing behind you. But that feeling is kinda diminished if you can just turn around and shoot the thing.
    I largely agree with this. Some games, like select Silent Hills, are good horror games that allow fighting back, but taking away the ability to fight can really make a game scary. OP: Outlast is FANTASTIC! Get it!

Also: Silent Hill 2 and 3 are awesome. 4 is pretty good, too, but anything after that seems iffy.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    I largely agree with this. Some games, like select Silent Hills, are good horror games that allow fighting back, but taking away the ability to fight can really make a game scary. OP: Outlast is FANTASTIC! Get it!

Also: Silent Hill 2 and 3 are awesome. 4 is pretty good, too, but anything after that seems iffy.
    In Silent Hill, fighting back is very limited, and not like other games like Dead Space where you can fight well. Also, as i recall in Silent hill 2 (I think it is) running was often preferable to fighting. Btw, Silent Hill 2 is brilliant. But imo anything after the second game is really not that awesome... Also, i left that game out as he said 2006 and onwards.

Resident evil 1 2 3 0 code veronica x. All goo and amazing classics, they were remastered recently so should be modern enough for you. Anything past those with resident evil name isnt resident evil.

Silent Hill. I still don't understand how I played through that.

I remember how a pal of mine whom I made to play it, told me after 30 minutes he'll never touch that game again. Not the greatest horror fans <.>
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Thinking about it, would Dark Souls count?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Thinking about it, would Dark Souls count?
    It's action RPG, not horror game.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

My vote goes to the silent hill franchise and parasite eve.

I will post a reply that is both inappropriate, and entirely to the point. If you truly want a horror game experience you have to step away from the console/computer.
    Buy dice.
    Buy The Call of Cthulu.
    Find a good GM (preferably with a background in theater) and six friends.
    Playing in a vacation cabin, by lamplight, during a storm, helps too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amensia, The Dark Descent, play this at night with the headphones extremely high. Yeah.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waarheid View Post
    I will post a reply that is both inappropriate, and entirely to the point. If you truly want a horror game experience you have to step away from the console/computer.
    Buy dice.
    Buy The Call of Cthulu.
    Where do you find a good GM?

could someone suggest me a mmorpg could care less if it's new or older, f2p or p2p. i'm looking for something that sucks you into the games world, being fun to play and has a vast interesting world to explore. really looking to find something that doesn't lean towards looking for group buttons for everything and makes you socialize in order to group up for anything. it has a good story and so forth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waarheid View Post
    Buy dice.
    Buy The Call of Cthulu.
    I've never once had a horrifying experience playing a table top, and that includes Call of Cthulu. Something about a bunch of dorks sitting around a table crunching on snacks and drinking beer/pop doesn't quite have the same effect as a well put together video game with top notch sound/music, lighting, etc. It's a tall order to find a) a GM, b) a good GM, c) someone with a theatre background who plays table top RPG's, d) a good GM with a theatre background, e) 6 other people who want to play CoC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    If you can fight back, the only elements it can rely on is bad jump scares. For a game to truly be a "horror" game, it has to give you the feeling of hopelessness in an impossible situation, making you feel like everything can be your death, and that creepy feeling of some guy always standing behind you. But that feeling is kinda diminished if you can just turn around and shoot the thing.
    That's why I was specific in what I was looking for. You picking apart my request and providing your definition of a horror video game is not what I was looking for.
    That said, I'm probably just going to go with Amnesia and/or Outlast. The reason is that I'd the game not focus on combat at all if I can't have minor combat elements. There seems to be no middle ground. Too much combat isn't scary, I agree.
    Last edited by thewallofsleep; 2013-10-15 at 12:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    That's why I was specific in what I was looking for. You picking apart my request and providing your definition of a horror video game is not what I was looking for.
    That said, I'm probably just going to go with Amnesia and/or Outlast. The reason is that I'd the game not focus on combat at all if I can't have minor combat elements. There seems to be no middle ground. Too much combat isn't scary, I agree.
    Honestly, look into Penumbra. It's from Frictional games, like Amnesia, but you can fight in that game. It has great immersion and you can fight in the game. But you will learn to avoid combat. It seems to be just what you're looking for.

1. Skyrim - Open world, great game. Etc etc.
    2. WoW - Played it for 6 years. I have lots of friends, and it can still be fun sometimes.
    3. Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP version) -I've replayed this twice already. Really high replay value.

Quote Originally Posted by needforblood View Post
    1. Skyrim - Open world, great game. Etc etc.
    2. WoW - Played it for 6 years. I have lots of friends, and it can still be fun sometimes.
    3. Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP version) -I've replayed this twice already. Really high replay value.
    could someone suggest me a mmorpg could care less if it's new or older, f2p or p2p. i'm looking for something that sucks you into the games world, being fun to play and has a vast interesting world to explore. really looking to find something that doesn't lean towards looking for group buttons for everything and makes you socialize in order to group up for anything. it has a good story and so forth.
    "MMO"RPG

1. Many others will recommend rift, Rift is not bad. Its similar to WoW but at the same its not. Hard to explain until you get to end game

2. SWTOR isn't horrible, I liked it because there was no auto attack and all of your attacks had to be made by a button. Similar to City of Heroes

3. LOTRO isn't horrible either, probably the closest to WoW when it comes to clones and I think its still a very strong MMORPG.

4. Guild wars 2 is also good, its story is driven off your choices when making a character and I think somewhat after. The combat is simple, but also deep. Its very new player friendly and you can try just about anything at any level and still receive experience for it. Its perfect for casual or hardcore players. You basically get what you want out of it as long as you are a little flexible with results.

5. WoW, I'm sure you play it or already have assuming so since you're on mmo-champ, but if you haven't then thats a good one to pick up too.

Thats all I can think of for now, I'm sure someone will recommend more.

Sorry, I've been mistaken. I didn't pay attention to "MMO"

10+ Year Old Account
    I need some game recommendations.

I'm going to have some down time over the next week and was thinking of finally starting on the Assassin's Creed franchise.

Should I bother with the first game? It has mixed reviews but I do like starting from the beginning.
    Should I start with II? And if so, is the Ezio trilogy pack worth getting?
    Or should I jump straight to III since it just got a price cut?

I'm not going to grab the new $60 game without getting my feet wet first and could use your help on where to begin, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    I'm late to this discussion so it may have already been suggested but have you play Condemned?

I found it to be thoroughly disturbing and spooked me on more than one occasion (not just jump scares either). There's a little bit of combat but it's not the main focus. There's also some detective aspects that are pretty fun.