Quote Originally Posted by jemd13 View Post
    Yeah I've been thinking mostly about Rift too...I saw Aion too, but not sure, besides it's 40GB and my internet is really slow so not sure if it's worth downloading all that just to try it lol. Anyone played it before?. Or anyone has any other suggestions?.
    I raided in Rift and loved it.
    Excellent raids and dungeons.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Question Looking for a new strategy game, suggestions?

So I am a fan of SC, WC, The C&C games, primarily red alert and generals. I have played Rome Total war and loved it. I have all the age of empires and have beaten them and now i'm pretty bored of them. So long story short, just like the title says....I need a new strategy game. Doesn't have to be brand new but not that old. I can't find any sort of base buildings games such as WC or SC anymore being made so I'm kinda stuck more towards the map form games such as Total War and Civilization styles in a way. I like these, but I want one that doesn't make you go insane from trying to calculate 18124123 things at once while playing.

Sorry if this was a little confusing, but any help would be appreciated

10+ Year Old Account
    Civ 5 and Shogun: Total War 2 are the only strategy games I play with any sort of regularity.
    M.A.X. is still my favorite Strat game. Ever

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a base builder game exactly but could always try supreme commander. supcom2 sucks though. There is also planetary annihilation. Not played it but seems like a decent game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gdcotton View Post
    So I am a fan of SC, WC, The C&C games, primarily red alert and generals. I have played Rome Total war and loved it. I have all the age of empires and have beaten them and now i'm pretty bored of them. So long story short, just like the title says....I need a new strategy game. Doesn't have to be brand new but not that old. I can't find any sort of base buildings games such as WC or SC anymore being made so I'm kinda stuck more towards the map form games such as Total War and Civilization styles in a way. I like these, but I want one that doesn't make you go insane from trying to calculate 18124123 things at once while playing.

Rise of Nations (great game)

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (A huge pain to find, but if you do, its a great game, basically a detailed remake of Age of Empires 2)

Age of mythology

Empire Earth

Universe at War

You could try Planetary annihilation its a recent release.

I bought Anno 2070 on steam on a sale and I was pleased, a very fun game. I heard Anno 1404 was better, sadly it isnt a steam and I dont think you can buy it anymore.. at least I read something about it. But 2070 is fun, at least to me.

Endless Legend looks good. It's $18 on steam right now.

Warhammer 4000 Dawn of War 1 & 2 are pretty fun. Try those

If you have a GBA I highly recommend Advance Wars, so much fun.

But for PC, Age of Wonders is a massive yes.

Another poster recommended Anno earlier, and I kinda agree on that. The Anno series have served me well as timekillers for years. Anno 2070 is engine-wise far better than 1404, but 1404 is a much better game from the gameplay side.

I've also been playing Europa Universalis 4 a lot lately, and I can say it ain't half bad. It's got a bit of a heavy learning curve, but it's a pretty good one once you get into it. I especially like the cooperative multiplayer way of playing it.

If you're into the fantasy setting, Age of Wonders (1 & 2) are really good games, and while I never quite got hooked on Age of Wonders 3, I guess it's also out there.

And if Turn-based is more your cup of tea, try out Jagged Alliance 2 or the original x-com. The new xcom is also a game people play a lot, but again, I never quite got into it.

There is also a lot of strategy / rpg hybrid games made in japan. You get the anime-style as a part of the package, some hate it others love it. Final Fantasy Tactics is probably one of the best strategy rpgs ever made, but there is a whole genre of probably 50 games in the same genre ("strategy rpgs"), and quite a few of them are really really good. I personally very much enjoyed Disgaea, though the strategy there is mostly discarded in favour of exploitative levelupping (the entire game is based on that).
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Currently playing Planetary Annihilation and R.U.S.E.
    Both are worth a look at least

edit: also gotta agree that Anno 1404 and 2070 are also worth a look

Creeper World 3, it's on Steam but here is a browsers version with a few maps.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

If you've never tried Total Annihilation I would strongly recommend it (came out in 1998 alongside Starcraft and both games are near and dear to my heart). It has a myriad of mods (I would recommend Total Mayhem) that make it even better. The game still holds up fairly well with modern graphics. The weapons in the game have actual ranges appropriate for the weapon type. Artillery that literally can hit virtually anywhere on the map etc. Has tons of unit variety as well aircraft, ships, subs, infantry, tanks, hovercraft, amphibious units, and some units that combine the types like a walking construction ship. It has a large variety of base defenses some of which can be used as offensive weapons.
    I give bad feedback all the time, I just dont rage or give them shit. Paying for content does not gives you the license to be an asshole.

Maybe port royale 3. 2 was better because they want to shove you into automating everything in 3 but it is not a huge deal. You can build up cities and eventual get one of your own. You need to trade between cities with your fleet and battle pirates with your ships or just take on the spanish armada yourself for the glory of the Dutch republic (or whichever you want to be buddies with ).
    It's easy to get into and you can keep it fairly simple by just letting your captains trade for yourself or you can set up a complex logistics chain to maximise profits between your factories and the other ports. Or you can up the difficulty by taking a small nible pair of ships against a group of ship-of-the-line.

It's not the best game but it still looks decent (2 years old) and it probably only costs like $10 on steam or so (and if not, there is a sale soon). Good for a while at least. Something different and I liked the whole trading, protecting your ships, pissing or not pissing off the right people (seriously, don't just attack random nations at the start ).

Anno 2070 & Banished (honourable mentions: Patrician 3/4, Tropico 3/4/5) if you're into base building with little to none warfare. Focus is more on the economics of your empire, rather than your military might.

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion if you like the idea of 4X but crave a trimmed down version that is real-time and not turn-based.

Endless Space & Endless Legend for the heavy 4X genre.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted

I would advice Europa universalis IV if you liked Total war & civilization. It is a difficult game to get into; but a great game once you got into it, I think it's probably one of my most favorite strategy games of all time.

10+ Year Old Account
    so I'm kinda stuck more towards the map form games such as Total War and Civilization styles in a way. I like these, but I want one that doesn't make you go insane from trying to calculate 18124123 things at once while playing.
    Sounds like Paradox Interactive games are for you, specifically: Europa Universalis IV, Victoria II and Hearts of Iron IV (Crusader Kings II is also highly praised, but I haven't played it). Europa Universalis IV is probably the most rounded and balanced of them. Victoria is a pretty hardcore game, it takes a lot of time to learn how economy works there, but once you're done, you can play the game for years and never get bored; the game is focused on economy and politics. Hearts of Iron is more focused on warfare with a bit gimped economy and diplomacy. If you don't want to calculate 18124123 things at once, I thing Europa Universalis is perfect for you: it does get some time to learn mechanics, but the game itself doesn't require that much effort, you just basically enjoy developing your country with a lot of options.

I personally liked Europa Universalis III more, the 4th game was a bit simplified in terms of economy, but both of them are awesome. There are also tons of mods that you can find on Paradox Plaza, some of them pretty spectacular, such as Magna Mundi.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

So I wanna get back into MMO's, I've tried just about everything out there, rn I have a level 26 archeage character and a level 17 wildstar one. I'm looking to get into a game where I can roam the world, get into PvP battles (that matter for something) and when I'm not doing that I wanna explore and find really cool gear... solo style. I may eventually join a guild but I wanna find a game I can invest a lot of time into so I can get my open world - progression - loot - pvp - adventure! out of the way haha

Any thoughts? Are wildstar and archeage still worth playing at all? Anything else I should take a 1st/2nd/3rd/4th look at?

Quote Originally Posted by glimpee View Post
    So I wanna get back into MMO's, I've tried just about everything out there, rn I have a level 26 archeage character and a level 17 wildstar one. I'm looking to get into a game where I can roam the world, get into PvP battles (that matter for something) and when I'm not doing that I wanna explore and find really cool gear... solo style. I may eventually join a guild but I wanna find a game I can invest a lot of time into so I can get my open world - progression - loot - pvp - adventure! out of the way haha

Any thoughts? Are wildstar and archeage still worth playing at all? Anything else I should take a 1st/2nd/3rd/4th look at?
    Age of Wushu comes to mind.

However, Firefall has an open world PvP zone called broken peninsula that is pretty fun.
    The dungeons scale from 1 to 5 players so you could progress to end game loot without grouping/guilding.
    The world is full of dynamic events, too.

/shrug.

I would try both, if I were you.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -