It's not QUITE a "base builder" strategy (more of a tactical) but if you don't have it in your collection yet, X-com+Enemy Within (the expansion is the same game with more options like how the Civ games work - if you get both, skip the standard game) are almost certainly going to entertain. It's by Firaxis as well (same as Civ).

If you want a game you can play on a tablet to take on the train/plane/etc too, enemy within is available on iOS and Android (for about £7/$10) and is as good as the console versions (best mobile port ever, by an enormous margin).
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Fire Emblem.

It's less confusing than other strategy games, yet still had quite a bit of depth to it when you kick up the difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    I personally very much enjoyed Disgaea, though the strategy there is mostly discarded in favour of exploitative levelupping (the entire game is based on that).
    Disgaea is an amazing game, don't get me wrong. I love them so much, but I consider it less of a strategy game and more of an RPG with a weird way of having turn based combat, but you seem to agree that it's not really strategy so much.

Quote Originally Posted by LichKangLoL View Post
    If you have a GBA I highly recommend Advance Wars, so much fun.

But for PC, Age of Wonders is a massive yes.
    I think Advance Wars is on the Wii U too for the Virtual Console.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2014-12-22 at 08:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I want a good ARPG, suggestions?

I have looked for years for a GOOD game that follows the same line of Diablo: an ARPG with good story and good gameplay. When I found Torchlight I fell in love, eventhough the story is pretty halfass.

Torchlight has one of the most fun gameplays I've ever seen, but the story (TL2) is kinda meh.

Anyway, I'm looking for a game that follows the same style as Torchlight and Diablo, any suggestions?

(I have tried PoE, please don't even. haha)
    "Ah... you have learned much... and learned well... an honorable battle.
    In the end, I stood by the warchief, because it was my duty, and I am glad that it was you who struck me down.
    May your strength... lead the horde... into a new era of prosperity..."

-General Nazgrim

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it have too be new?
    RED ALERT 2 MOD link:
    http://mentalomega.com/
    http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1...petmaster1.jpg

Warhammer 40k MOD link:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/ultimate-apocalypse-mod

C&C generals MOD link:
    http://shockwave.swr-productions.com/

C&C Tiberium wars 3 MOD link:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/kanes-wrath-reloaded
    (that one is stil in alfa stage so i dont recomend till they fix it)

There arent any fun ones out right now.....only long ones and zzzz. (yeah starcraft 2 is meh)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kreghar View Post
    I have looked for years for a GOOD game that follows the same line of Diablo: an ARPG with good story and good gameplay. When I found Torchlight I fell in love, eventhough the story is pretty halfass.

Torchlight has one of the most fun gameplays I've ever seen, but the story (TL2) is kinda meh.

Anyway, I'm looking for a game that follows the same style as Torchlight and Diablo, any suggestions?

(I have tried PoE, please don't even. haha)
    If you are looking for an ARPG with good story, you will be looking for a long time.

If you haven't tried Grim Dawn or The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (stupid name, I know), both of those are worth trying out. And then there is the obvious Diablo III aswell.

You said that you loved Diablo II and Torchlight, but hated Path of Exile, which to me doesn't make much sense. PoE is still the best ARPG out there, and the one game that plays and feels the most similair to D2 (where as the only good thing about Torchlight was the music, imo).
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    You said that you loved Diablo II and Torchlight, but hated Path of Exile, which to me doesn't make much sense. PoE is still the best ARPG out there, and the one game that plays and feels the most similair to D2 (where as the only good thing about Torchlight was the music, imo).
    could be that he doesn't like the combat of PoE (which is slower than Torchlight). That was my problem with PoE as well

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glimpee View Post
    So I wanna get back into MMO's, I've tried just about everything out there, rn I have a level 26 archeage character and a level 17 wildstar one. I'm looking to get into a game where I can roam the world, get into PvP battles (that matter for something) and when I'm not doing that I wanna explore and find really cool gear... solo style. I may eventually join a guild but I wanna find a game I can invest a lot of time into so I can get my open world - progression - loot - pvp - adventure! out of the way haha

Any thoughts? Are wildstar and archeage still worth playing at all? Anything else I should take a 1st/2nd/3rd/4th look at?
    The only popular MMO in which I've seen good exploration capabilities is Guild Wars 2 - it is also the only MMO I play nowadays. It is also one of the best MMOs for solo play, although you might group with some random people from time to time, that's how the game works. There is a lot of progression, not in terms of gear, but in terms of achievements, professions, map completion and such. I simply love that game! If only it had a lore as interesting as Warcraft one, that would be a ten star game.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey all,

So I'm looking for a new game to play, I remember years ago I got SUPER addicted to this space trading game, which closed, so I figured I'd try and find something similar.

The basic gameplay was you'd "fly" to a planet, then there'd be a bunch of options of resources you could buy/sell. You'd pick stuff up, fly to a different planet and sell stuff, buy other things and repeat. The fun was that different planets had different values for the resources, so you could hunt around to find the best price for your stock, set up trade routes and shit like that.

So yeah... Any browser based games like that around these days?

Also: If any of you have played Forge of Empires. I'd kinda like a game with the combat from that, but without the long ass build times and severely limited building space.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Marvel heroes is a solid ARPG that has a story. combat is good too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    If you are looking for an ARPG with good story, you will be looking for a long time.

If you haven't tried Grim Dawn or The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (stupid name, I know), both of those are worth trying out. And then there is the obvious Diablo III aswell.

Like Doozer said, I didn't really like PoE's combat and/or story. I was thinking of trying the Van Helsing out, I'll take a look, thanks!

I liked Diablo III a lot, eventhough the whole world hates it. RoS is way better than the base game tho imho.

Thank you all, I'll take a look at the 3 suggested.
    "Ah... you have learned much... and learned well... an honorable battle.
    In the end, I stood by the warchief, because it was my duty, and I am glad that it was you who struck me down.
    May your strength... lead the horde... into a new era of prosperity..."

-General Nazgrim

Deleted
    Hey guys, I'm back... I got suggestions of Firefall and Don't Starve. Firefall looks great, but it only partially supports controllers and it's just too frustrating to have to use both controller AND keyboard during combat. Don't Starve had some cool ideas, works great with the controller, but was just too dull in art and gameplay... tbh I found it boring, especially after having played Terraria and other similar games. I got my money's worth, but... meh.

Here's what I'm looking for:

-Controller friendly (my wrists can't handle kb/m any more)
    -Character progression and Exploration (and creation (I loved Terraria's gameplay) but I imagine this is nearly impossible with a controller)
    -Decent graphics (I disliked Terraria's low-rez style)

The controller is the kicker, as it means shooters are basically a no-go. 200 hours into Borderlands 2, absolutely loved it but I can't handle the kb/m anymore, unfortunately. I've got 100 hours in Skyrim, was a bit drab for my tastes even with a million mods but melee was ok with a controller. I've played Fallout, and had the same issue with the dull setting. ATM I'm on my 3rd play through of XCOM Long War. I'm really looking forward to No Man's Sky, but need something in the mean time... any ideas?

p.s. While I'll try F2P games, I'd rather buy the game outright and not be hassled about in-game purchases.
    Last edited by mmoc7d4700f6a8; 2014-12-23 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quickness View Post
    Hey guys, I'm back... I got suggestions of Firefall and Don't Starve. Firefall looks great, but I find that shooters are really tough with controllers. Don't Starve had some cool ideas, works great with the controller, but was just too dull in art and gameplay... tbh I found it boring, especially after having played Terraria and other similar games. I got my money's worth, but... meh.

Here's what I'm looking for:

-Exploration and creation (I loved Terraria's gameplay) or at least character progression
    -Decent graphics (I disliked Terraria's low-rez style)
    -Controller friendly (my wrists can't handle long stretches at the kb/m any more)

The last one is the kicker, as it means shooters are a no-go. 200 hours into Borderlands 2, absolutely loved it but I can't handle the kb/m anymore, unfortunately. I've got 100 hours in Skyrim, was a bit drab for my tastes even with a million mods but it was ok with a controller. I've played Fallout, and had the same issue with the dull setting. ATM I'm on my 3rd play through of XCOM Long War. I'm really looking forward to No Man's Sky, but need something in the mean time... any ideas?
    I was going to suggest Landmark as its all about exploration and creation. The only catch is I'm not sure how it works with controllers. Even still check Landmark out as it sounds like it is the kind of game you would enjoy.

Deleted
    Thanks. Somebody else suggested that before but it's still in closed beta, and I can't find anything about controller support. 100% controller support is my biggest criteria.

Thanks. Somebody else suggested that before but it's still in closed beta, and I can't find anything about controller support. 100% controller support is my biggest criteria.
    Not really explorationy but Warframe might be fun for a controller based 3rd person shooter.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    p.s. While I'll try F2P games, I'd rather buy the game outright and not be hassled about in-game purchases.
    I'm not sure you're really going to find what you are looking for....the next step for you would probably be to find 3rd person survival games that have controller support. I would have recommended Planet Explorers for you, but it has no controller support whatsoever. Unfortunately the genre doesn't lend itself well to controllers and your three basic criteria are usual at odds with eachother:

Build/Exploration based
    Good Graphics
    Controller support

You can often find two of those, but never all three really. Terraria is honestly the best game in that genre I've ever played. Perhaps you should put some research into a program like Xpadder and try and make games work for you. Often you can find people with templates for games, but once you take a deep dive you can set up something like Terraria to mimic the Xbox controls.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello! long time mmo player here. I've played most of the big name stuff suck as GW2, WoW, swtor, rift, tera, wildstar(beta mostly), FF14, and archeage. Recently i've gotten a little bored with WoW as someone who has many alts to pvp and raid with does. I'm looking for someone to help me out I want to pick up a new mmo or return to one of the ones I mentioned aside from WoW as i'm still playing it. If you play any of these mmos what's you opinion on the community? Are there any big rp groups? Is it better now?

as for new mmos here's what i'm looking for
    -vibrant world
    -rich lore
    -rp friendly
    -fantasy is a huge plus but any setting will do
    -decent leveling process
    I'll do something witty and clever in this box one day...

There are no core, dedicated MMORPG RP communities outside of WoW, LotRO, STO and EVE.

Moon Guard and Wyrmrest Acord on WoW are very tight knit RP servers and regularly organize server wide campaigns and events.

Landroval on LotRO is perhaps the heaviest MMORPG RP server ever, ever. Events... events every day. Too many to keep track of. Player organized concerts, crusades, etc.

EVE's RP base is found in their channels, and GMs have regularly been hosting official events for the players. There are many corps that RP together and even communicate fleet commands ICly. STO's RP is fond just like EVE's.

Ofcourse, there are other MMOs out there with RP bases, but generally those are either restricted to inn RP or the occasional feast. SWTOR comes to mind, and a bit of GW2, but then again that's probably jot what your looking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post

Moon Guard and Wyrmrest Acord on WoW are very tight knit RP servers and regularly organize server wide campaigns and events.

Landroval on LotRO is perhaps the heaviest MMORPG RP server ever, ever. Events... events every day. Too many to keep track of. Player organized concerts, crusades, etc.
    My fault for not mentioning MG/WRA are my most populated server lists >.>
    As for LotRO I never gave that one a shot i'll look into it not to sure about EVE as from what I hear it's spreadsheets the video game.
    I'll do something witty and clever in this box one day...

Quote Originally Posted by Aoewy View Post
    I bought Anno 2070 on steam on a sale and I was pleased, a very fun game. I heard Anno 1404 was better, sadly it isnt a steam and I dont think you can buy it anymore.. at least I read something about it. But 2070 is fun, at least to me.
    Check out:
    Some random website I've never heard of, google told me to click it
    or
    Ubisoft's store

If link to Ubisoft's store takes you to front page or displays in a weird language(because website refuses to let me view it in english), just search for anno gold
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fenth View Post
    My fault for not mentioning MG/WRA are my most populated server lists >.>
    As for LotRO I never gave that one a shot i'll look into it not to sure about EVE as from what I hear it's spreadsheets the video game.
    EVE is interacted through in spreadsheets... does that mean you imagine your adventure as such? You interact in WoW by pushing numbers on your keyboard in a certain rotation... do you imagine your adventure across Azeroth as such? Though yes; the gameplay for EVE can be jarring somewhat.

As for WoW: Check the MG/WRA server forums regularly.

Landroval is basically MG/WRA on steroids in terms of RP activity.