10+ Year Old Account
    I'm at a bit of an impasse after losing all interest in my previous hobby, working on fanf... ah shit. Let's just call it "creative writing". >_>

Regardless of what I was working on(or rather, wasn't), I just don't feel like having a creative hobby right now. I come home from work, and I don't really want to think too hard. I have between 2 and 3 hours each night free total, maybe 4 or 5 hours on Friday night/Saturday day and night. I want to find a PC game(s) - casual, with a sense of humor preferably. I also don't want the game to fill every bit of that free time either.

I've actually considered coming back to WoW, but I'm holding off longer on that for multiple reasons, most not related to what I've heard about WoD. I might play a trial account soon, to see what I think, but that's it for now. I wouldn't consider any other MMO really - even if I haven't played WoW in a long time, I still have a lot invested in it. If I did come back, I'd be trying to play it as much single player as possible - I know what progressing guilds and PUGs are like this late in an expansion.

Other "recent" game genres that I like are RTS games like Command and Conquer(now defunct) and Total War(downhill in quality from what I have seen, but Total War: Warhammer is coming up...), sort of lower-blood FPS shooters like Halo 1, and sort of Skyrim, I guess(I wasn't too grabbed by it).

PC is my only platform. I don't really feel like playing something that's insanely hard, like any Dark Souls game. And before anyone recommends it, no Undertale either - I already looked at spoilers long before this post. Members of my last guild tried to talk me into playing LoL with them, but I declined at the time because I didn't want to play it and WoW at the same time, and I've heard very bad things about LoL's community.

Does anyone have a recommendation, either genre or a particular game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

Hi Freedom,

So a single player game is ok as well? Not sure if you are asking for multi only. It seems though that you have a lot of gaming time so I think something like LoL will burn you fast.

Well I can give you a few suggestion directions. Firstly a really good story RPG to get immersed in. Have you played the Witcher? 3 is mostly acclaimed as the best one but all are worth a playthrough in my opinion. Another favourite series of mine is Dragon Age. Apart from these top story RPGs are Mass Effect, Pillars of Eternity or if you are willing to go back further Planescape Torment and the Baldur's Gate series. Ever tried Fallout? Otherwise a search for top RPGs should find you something that appeals to you.

Secondly, kind of the opposite approach but an action RPG to just do a lot of mindless killing (sometimes I find that very soothing!) Grim Dawn, Diablo), Titan Quest, Torchlight 2, Path of Exile and Victor Vran are some of the top ones or my favourites.

Lastly, how about a strategy game? This is a pretty broad genre as well so perhaps you can find something that appeals to you here.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Does anyone have a recommendation, either genre or a particular game?
    I'll recommend some games from different genres, all including humor.

Brütal Legend - Open world hack and slash game with a hardrock/metal theme. The main character is voiced by Jack Black, a lot of laughs are guaranteed.

"The vivid and wildly creative world of Brütal Legend is brought to life through a spate of chrome, leather, rocker babes, epic music, fire-breathing/stud-wearing beasts, mountains made of guitar amps, and more. Follow Eddie as he embarks on a tour of epic destruction with an axe, a guitar, and his minions as he commands the power of rock in epic band battles. It’s lighter-flicking awesomeness that will melt your face clean off."

Portal-series - The Portal games are first-person puzzle platformers, with great humor provided by the murderous AI robot GlaDOS and the moron AI robot Wheatley. The goal is to complete different test chambers and trying to escape from the Aperture Science test facilities in both games. Both GlaDOS and Wheatley (Portal 2 only) will provide hilarious commentary and dialogue throughout the games.
    The main story puzzles are fairly simple and you should be able to complete them without "thinking too hard". But both games features optional challenge levels if you are want more after you've finished the game. Portal 2 also have Co-Op levels and campaign for 2 players.

Psychonauts - A cult classic. Its an adventure platforming game, with a lot of exploring. You will play as Razputin, a young psychic that breaks in to the secret facility Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp. In the game you will explore the minds of others, which makes for very unique, weird and funny worlds and levels.
    You will learn different abilities such as Telekinesis and Levitation that you'll need to complete the various levels. The story, writing and voice acting is great, and the many characters you meet in the game is very amusing and will keep you thoroughly entertained.

Other quick mentions: Saints Row: The Third, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon

Is there a game I can find on steam that has a fun co-op mode something akin to Portal 2. But can also not be a FPS? Just looking for a fun co-op game to play with a friend of mine that is pretty simple but fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne01 View Post
    I believe your hands should be cut off. As I feel your opinions prove your not fit to type.
    Gen Off-Topic being hella ruthless

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the recommendations, Spikeyshadow and Knslyr. I've actually played Psychonauts before, on Yahtzee Croshaw's recommendation. Never did beat that last part with the meat circus...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've played a lot of Battle for Middle-Earth 2 & Warhammer 40k; Dawn of War 2, but I'm pretty much done with the campaigns (and the skirmish/other modes don't hold my interest for too long), so I am now looking for other RTS games - preferably with a good campaign.
    Anything similar to the mentioned games or Starcraft 2 (already done with that too) would be great. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Piene View Post
    I've played a lot of Battle for Middle-Earth 2 & Warhammer 40k; Dawn of War 2, but I'm pretty much done with the campaigns (and the skirmish/other modes don't hold my interest for too long), so I am now looking for other RTS games - preferably with a good campaign.
    Anything similar to the mentioned games or Starcraft 2 (already done with that too) would be great. Thanks!
    Supreme Commander, it's expansion Forged Alliance, and it's sequel Supreme Commander 2 come to mind. That's fifty hours of play time on the campaign modes right there.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Supreme Commander, it's expansion Forged Alliance, and it's sequel Supreme Commander 2 come to mind. That's fifty hours of play time on the campaign modes right there.
    Will check it out, thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hope someone can help me with a request!

I'm looking for chill PC games that prefer controllers. Recently been coming home later and more tired and have been wanting to game on my bed with a controller, using my TV as a monitor. I'm not looking for anything competitive or super in-depth. My latest game I've been playing this way is Kingdoms of Amalur. Everything is simple enough, but it does get bothersome having to read quest sometimes, etc and I'm looking for something a little more simple or more combat based. I am definitely not looking for something like Dark Souls where there is a lot of challenge and you need constant awareness. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy difficult games and have also been playing through DS3 (currently at 37ish hours played), but I'm looking specifically for a relaxing/easy game to play on nights where I get home late and just want to game a little bit to unwind.

If it helps, one of the biggest things I love about playing Kingdom's of Amalur (for this particular reason) is the combat. It's fluid and easy enough to do without a ton of complex thought, while still managing to look impressive most of the time. So I'd prefer something with hack/slash type of combat but am kinda open to trying an FPS if seems easy going (not a fan of FPS on controllers).

I've been looking at some of the Lego games and they seem alright but I worry I might find them too "kidded" down and am wary of the quality of the PC ports. Also, just because I feel these may people's first suggestions, I've played all the Saints Row and GTA series, so looking for something fresh there. I don't enjoy racing or rhythm games. I was contemplating maybe a Final Fantasy game (especially since FF9 just came out) since they're slow paced but I honestly feel it would require too much thinking of the state that I'd be in.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated! If I can add any more info to help, let me know! I wish I had games that are similar to what I'm looking for but if I did then I probably wouldn't be in this situation. Seriously... Just a PC game I can just mindlessly play while using a controller to relax and unwind.

@Symph Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a great, lean back with a controller and smash em up RPG with a simple plot to follow.

As i mentioned in a thread awhile ago.
    I been playing Legacy of the void quite alot and I must say the whole Diplomacy thing made me think.

Is there any RTS games out there with simliar mechanics that people are aware of? Like you do the campaign and come to a mission where it is like
    "You must pick who we ally with, If we ally with X we get this unit, but if we Ally with Y we get this unit"

I felt liek thats what Legacy of the Void was going for, with its unit design but it wasnt, ulitized as well as they could.

I guess its sort of mullti choice/Moral choice system?
    Anyone have any ideas? Or any ideas for RTS in general, I miss the genre

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romanthony View Post
    As i mentioned in a thread awhile ago.
    I been playing Legacy of the void quite alot and I must say the whole Diplomacy thing made me think.

Is there any RTS games out there with simliar mechanics that people are aware of? Like you do the campaign and come to a mission where it is like
    "You must pick who we ally with, If we ally with X we get this unit, but if we Ally with Y we get this unit"

I felt liek thats what Legacy of the Void was going for, with its unit design but it wasnt, ulitized as well as they could.

I guess its sort of mullti choice/Moral choice system?
    Anyone have any ideas? Or any ideas for RTS in general, I miss the genre
    A very old game, Emperor: Battle For Dune, featured, if I'm correct, 5 different neutral factions, 2 of which you could ally with and get 2 unique units off each. Together with being able to choose one of the 3 original factions to play the campaign, and the campaign itself being quite sandbox-ish, I think that's the closest I've played to Starcraft 2 campaigns.

Unfortunately, that game is really hard to run on modern systems. I couldn't run it on either Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Symph View Post
    Hope someone can help me with a request!

I'm looking for chill PC games that prefer controllers. Recently been coming home later and more tired and have been wanting to game on my bed with a controller, using my TV as a monitor. I'm not looking for anything competitive or super in-depth. My latest game I've been playing this way is Kingdoms of Amalur. Everything is simple enough, but it does get bothersome having to read quest sometimes, etc and I'm looking for something a little more simple or more combat based. I am definitely not looking for something like Dark Souls where there is a lot of challenge and you need constant awareness. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy difficult games and have also been playing through DS3 (currently at 37ish hours played), but I'm looking specifically for a relaxing/easy game to play on nights where I get home late and just want to game a little bit to unwind.

If it helps, one of the biggest things I love about playing Kingdom's of Amalur (for this particular reason) is the combat. It's fluid and easy enough to do without a ton of complex thought, while still managing to look impressive most of the time. So I'd prefer something with hack/slash type of combat but am kinda open to trying an FPS if seems easy going (not a fan of FPS on controllers).

I've been looking at some of the Lego games and they seem alright but I worry I might find them too "kidded" down and am wary of the quality of the PC ports. Also, just because I feel these may people's first suggestions, I've played all the Saints Row and GTA series, so looking for something fresh there. I don't enjoy racing or rhythm games. I was contemplating maybe a Final Fantasy game (especially since FF9 just came out) since they're slow paced but I honestly feel it would require too much thinking of the state that I'd be in.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated! If I can add any more info to help, let me know! I wish I had games that are similar to what I'm looking for but if I did then I probably wouldn't be in this situation. Seriously... Just a PC game I can just mindlessly play while using a controller to relax and unwind.
    Witcher 3 on lower difficulties might be what you are looking for. You won't need to read many quests either; they are mostly delivered through fully voiced dialogues. Although, I'd say, the game is about as much combat-based as Amalur.
    Last edited by May90; 2016-04-19 at 08:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    A very old game, Emperor: Battle For Dune, featured, if I'm correct, 5 different neutral factions, 2 of which you could ally with and get 2 unique units off each. Together with being able to choose one of the 3 original factions to play the campaign, and the campaign itself being quite sandbox-ish, I think that's the closest I've played to Starcraft 2 campaigns.

Unfortunately, that game is really hard to run on modern systems. I couldn't run it on either Windows 7 or Windows 8.
    Hmm i might have to see if i can check it out, Like i said I like the idea of Diplomacy being used like that, and i think thats what they was going for in legacy but instead we got the system we got. I wish the RTS genre was more alive these days

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Witcher 3 on lower difficulties might be what you are looking for. You won't need to read many quests either; they are mostly delivered through fully voiced dialogues. Although, I'd say, the game is about as much combat-based as Amalur.
    Unfortunately I've gone through Witcher 3 in the past quite extensively Any other suggestions?

Symph,

What about Witcher 1 and 2 then?

Main suggestion that comes to me at the moment based on what you said about the combat is Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor. I played on KB/M though so cannot attest to how a controller is (or if you can even get it to work). Other games that may be similar are Ryse and Dragon's Dogma but I haven't got around to these yet.

If you want light (though perhaps not as fun combat) have you played the big ARPGs? Like Diablo, Grim Dawn, Torchlight, Path of Exile and so on.

If you do not mind slightly more RPG/story and are ok with controlling a group of characters (or letting them do their own silly thing) then you have the Dragon Age series and Pillars of Eternity. For more open world stuff but lesser combat there's the Elder Scroll series and/or Fallout.

I have never played with a controller though on any game so that is something that you will have to look into still.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Shadows of Mordor might be just what I'm looking for. Thanks a ton for all the suggestions.

I'm looking for kind of a specific game that I don't think exists. Basically, I'm looking for a game that focuses on spellcasting and magic with lots of spells to learn, maybe online but maybe not, with an open world feel. I'm imagining it would have skill based progression, not level up mechanics, where spells either get stronger over time (sort of like eve online has offline skills) or by usage. Skyrim probably has a lot of these pieces actually, but I've played that and couldn't get into it. Ideally, this game would have destructive environments and puzzles that require magic to solve.

Varaben: if you're into Pen&Paper RPGs, check out Mage: the Awakening (or Mage: the Ascension), while they don't have spells per se, they are quite like what you've asked for, magic-wise.

A bit of explanation:
    There are "spheres" of magic, responsible for various aspects of reality, and it's up to the player to come up with the ways to use the spheres their character knows to achieve the desired effect.

For a simple example, let's say you want to be invisible.

One way to achieve that would be using the Force sphere, responsible for things like gravity, light, elemental forces like fire etc., to cause the light to go around you (but that'd also make you effectively blind and having to rely on other senses or application of magic to find your way around).

Or you could use the sphere of Mind (influencing other people's minds) to have everyone not notice you, sort of like a area of effect Jedi Mind Trick "I am not here. Please move along." - but that won't work on cameras and such (they don't have minds for you to affect), and some people's minds could resist it.

Or if your mage is proficient enough, you could mix them both (being effectively invisible for both people and devices) -and- use magic to find your way around (Forces like a passive radar, or Mind to see through the eyes of other people in the area, thus spotting where you are, etc.).

Looking for a f2p MMO that has no pay to win elements. Also no buy to play stuff either just free to play. Also open to martial arts style mmos.