10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I've unsubbed from WoW and D3 season 9 is already boring... I need something new to play.

I'm looking for an RPG, great story is a must, Turn based combat is the best, Strategic is almost as good and Action is acceptable, but not first pick.

Single player only, not in the mood for an MMO or anything with even a hint of PvP.

Something along the lines of old school FF games, FF Tactics or Dragon Age would work.

I've tried Witcher and Dark Souls, didn't like either. Tried I am Setsuna and was VERY disappointed. X-Com was fun, but the RNG/Bugs in X-Com2 put me off.

EDIT: Picked up Valkyria Chronicles for £5 on steam!

Help me MMO-C, you're my only hope!
    Last edited by Gallahadd; 2017-01-20 at 04:00 PM.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Ok, I've unsubbed from WoW and D3 season 9 is already boring... I need something new to play.

I'm looking for an RPG, great story is a must, Turn based combat is the best, Strategic is almost as good and Action is acceptable, but not first pick.

Single player only, not in the mood for an MMO or anything with even a hint of PvP.

Something along the lines of old school FF games, FF Tactics or Dragon Age would work.

I've tried Witcher and Dark Souls, didn't like either. Tried I am Setsuna and was VERY disappointed. X-Com was fun, but the RNG/Bugs in X-Com2 put me off.

If you're not against JRPGs or old graphics, I can recommend Trails in the Sky. Turn-based combat (that's a little more strategic than most FF games), big focus on the (very solid) story. If it gets you hooked it's also part of a larger series that currently has 4 games localized, with a 5th coming this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    If you're not against JRPGs or old graphics, I can recommend Trails in the Sky. Turn-based combat (that's a little more strategic than most FF games), big focus on the (very solid) story. If it gets you hooked it's also part of a larger series that currently has 4 games localized, with a 5th coming this year.
    Fun fact, when I picked up Valkyria Chronicles, Trails in the sky was on the "If you like this, why not try:" list. Might pick it up after I'm done with VC.

EDIT: Ooookay, so the difficulty in VC spiked like a MOTHERFUCKER, with no chance to grind so.. Yeah, fuck that. Also, it turns out the only way to get A or higher ranks on each mission is to cheese the broken mobility class. It's literally impossible to get the higher ranks with normal play.

Fuck that.

Fingers crossed Trails in the Sky is a bit better! If not, I'm blaming Steam... and Cattleya...
    Last edited by Gallahadd; 2017-01-21 at 10:29 PM.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account

As Cattleya mentioned, if you don't mind old graphics, try Gothic series, with mods this game is even more better. Actually Gothic is most popular in Germany, Russia and Poland, but tons of mods is for both G1 and G2 with Night Of The Raven expansion. Don't look to Gothic 3, Forseaken Gods and Arcania, it's unofficial but they are no longer at least for fanbase canonical.

Eventually Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning. Is good game, but if isin't aspired to be WoW takedown, it should have more content but well, good game.

Eventually Mass Effect series.

In addition to Valkyria CHronicles, I recommend The Banner Saga and The Banner Saga 2. TBS has one of the best stories I've ever had the joy to play through in a video game, and the combat is solid (turn based like Fire Emblem/Final Fantasy Tactics). It goes without saying, that the animation is gorgeous. No RNG fuss over.

Trails in the Sky and it's sequel are also great RPG picks, though they will require a heavy time investment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    Eventually Mass Effect series.
    Played all the other games you mentioned, KoA in particular was a favourite of mine. Try as I might I couldn't get into Mass Effect, didn't like the combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    In addition to Valkyria CHronicles, I recommend The Banner Saga and The Banner Saga 2. TBS has one of the best stories I've ever had the joy to play through in a video game, and the combat is solid (turn based like Fire Emblem/Final Fantasy Tactics). It goes without saying, that the animation is gorgeous. No RNG fuss over.

Trails in the Sky and it's sequel are also great RPG picks, though they will require a heavy time investment.
    I ended up dumping VC, but the Banner Saga is one I'll look into for sure, heard it's name thrown around A LOT.

Playing Trails in the Sky as we speak and really enjoying it, EXACTLY what I was looking for. Are all the sequels available on steam? Doesn't look like they are which worried me... I'm hoping they're self containted stories, yes?

Playing Trails in the Sky as we speak and really enjoying it, EXACTLY what I was looking for. Are all the sequels available on steam? Doesn't look like they are which worried me... I'm hoping they're self containted stories, yes?
    Trails in the Sky and it's sequel are - taken together - a self contained story (ie, you don't have to play Trails of Cold Steel to find out what happens next).

The Trails of Cold Steel trilogy is the next installment in the setting with a new cast, but as of right now it's exclusive to Sony consoles. Fortunately, the first of the trilogy is up on Playstation Now (Sony's new subscription service that allows you to stream Playstation games on your computer), with the rest of the trilogy expected to go up soon. http://gematsu.com/2016/08/playstati...eternal-sonata

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Glad you're liking it, saves me being blamed

And as Valyrian said, Trails in the Sky and its sequel, SC, are a self-contained story arc. There's also Trails in the Sky The 3rd, coming to Steam for us in "spring 2017", which is a story arc of its own that has mostly the same characters.

The other two localized Trails games (Cold Steel) are PS3/Vita only, sadly, with the third Cold Steel being made for PS4.

Deleted
    Something along the lines of old school FF games
    If you have a decent rig, get a PS2 emulator and play FF12 zodiac on your PC.
    You will thank me in like 2 months or so, until then you will be completely hooked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Trails in the Sky and it's sequel are - taken together - a self contained story (ie, you don't have to play Trails of Cold Steel to find out what happens next).
    Awesome, I'll pick up SC once I'm done with the first one. Feels like it'll be a while though, it's quite a large game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    The other two localized Trails games (Cold Steel) are PS3/Vita only, sadly, with the third Cold Steel being made for PS4.
    Haha yup, you're saved... This time!

Hmm, that's annoying, as I have no PS3 OR Vita. Fingers crossed they'll either port to PC or PS4 soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryla View Post
    If you have a decent rig, get a PS2 emulator and play FF12 zodiac on your PC.
    You will thank me in like 2 months or so, until then you will be completely hooked.
    I do have a good rig, but I don't have to get an emulator, they're bringing Zodiac Age to PS4 later this year and it's on the top of my list of games to pick up... Well, second, behind the new South Park game.

15+ Year Old Account
    OK guys I need some advice on a game to play in my downtime when I'm not raiding or doing school crap. I have my main in WOW and don't want to bother with alts at this point because I just don't have the time to invest in gearing and other stuff right now. Now as far as what games I've played and liked/not liked, the are as follows:

SWTOR - Liked it but don't want to pay for another subscription just to get a fair leg up in the game and such. I liked it but not enough to pay each month for it.

Rift - Fun game. Good customization. Just not that fun to solo play imo.

Runes of Magic - Unique game. Solo play is a bitch. Leveling sucked. Lacked low level dungeoning.

Aion - AMAZING game. Loved the graphics and customization it offered. Hated having to run everywhere across vastly large zones for dungeons and that they had lockouts. HATED the grind to level cap. I know they supposedly fixed this last issue but it is still a grind.

ESO - Another game I absolutely loved. Tons of customization in classes and roles. Recent changes with leveling made it fun and hard at the same time. Getting to level cap is easy. Beyond large amount of dungeons to run at any given level. Drawback was lack of endgame content or stuff to do once you got your "perfect" set of gear. I did sub for this game because I enjoyed it.

EQ2 - Fun game. I played years ago and have been told they are still releasing content for it. Enjoyed the crafting in it and loved some of the looks of armor in the game. Hated the grind to level cap and all the spells/skills you get while you level up. Hated that you had to upgrade your spells/skills too with books. Lack of dungeons turned me away from the game.

Tera & Blade and Soul & Neverwinter - Not a fan of games where it is click to attack and such. Didn't enjoy any of these.

LOTR - Not sure what it was about the game but I just didn't enjoy it. I barely made it out of the tutorial area.

Warhammer - Still love this game to this day. I was sad when the servers went offline. I know there's a private server Warhammer but it just doesn't feel the same to me. I loved PQ's, the oRvR it offered, and that you could dungeon too all to help your side get rewards.

-------------------------------------------------
    What I'm looking for is a game that is fun. First and foremost it has to be fun to play. I don't like grindfest games where it takes forever to level up a character. I don't mind subbing if I enjoy the game so that's not out of the question. It has to be an MMO style game because I'm not really into other types. Last but not least, there has to be a decent dungeon experience either while leveling up (if it takes a little more time to level up I'm ok doing a lot of dungeons) or at endgame.

Not sure if such a thing exists but I am looking for challenging games but also has minimal stress involved. I am schizophrenic and don't deal well with lots of stress.

My favorite genres are Stealth/Tactical/Strategy.

Games I've played the longest/enjoyed the most are:

Thief series.

Doom series.

Deus Ex series.

Diablo series.

Path of Exile.

Grim Dawn.

Batman Arkham series.

Elder Scrolls series minus the MMO.

Most Warhammer games.

Shadowrun series.

Shadow tactics: Blades of the Shogun.

Torchlight series.

World of Warcraft.

Any suggestions outside of these would be great. Would like a solo friendly MMO if one is suggested...my social skills aren't the greatest so I tend to be quiet in group situations. Thanks for any input.

Need a new game!

After taking a month off WoW I resubbed back last week, 1st day opened ticket asking for cancellation and refund. 1 week later, I duno why but the urge come back again, resubbed just now.. within 2 minutes I was again wondering why. New ticket, same thing. This time game uninstalled, hopefully to curb the urges..

I have my first person shooters that I enjoy, Overwatch & Battlefield.. but what I like to have is a kind of open world 3rd person game abit like WoW, but obviously not WoW.

Doesnt have to be an MMO, not even multiplayer for that matter. Can anyone recommend 1 or some please?

Off the top of my head, Witcher 3 Wild Hunt and Rise of the Tomb Raider are two really good games that fit your requirements.

Witcher 3 and DLC

Play on Death March.

Profit.

Ahhh Witcher 3 was amazing, heres the annoying part for me.. I started it and got a fair chunk in maybe half way at a guess but then I formatted my system and lost my save Would of actually loved to be able to continue and finish that game, any idea? Not sure I like the idea of starting from the beginning again though

Completed Rise of the Tomb Raider though, very good game yeah

Deleted
    Dark souls 3 :> nothing like a challenge!

Ahhh now theres a possibility! Never tried any of them games

If you want a MMO, I started playing ESO a while back and it's pretty good experience. Would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by decimo View Post
    My favorite genres are Stealth/Tactical/Strategy.

Games I've played the longest/enjoyed the most are:
    Thief series.
    Batman Arkham series.
    Based on your list have you looked into either Dishonored games or Shadows of Mordor? Dishonored is the spiritual successor of the awesome Thief games (minus 4) but a great game in its own right, and Dishonored 2 just came out recently to high reviews [its next up on my play list]. Shadows of Mordor is basically same engine/fighting style as batman games but with the obvious deep lore changes. Unique rivalry system they have there too.