Page 1 of 120
1
2
3
11
51
101
... LastLast
  1. #1

    [HELP] Request a Game/Suggest a Game!

    Mod Edit:

    A lot of people pass through the Video Games forum looking for suggestions as to what game or games they should try out. This results in a lot of duplicate threads asking the same questions over and over again. Hopefully this thread will solve that problem by providing a "backlog" of questions and suggestions for those of you who may have already had the same wants and needs desired from a game expressed (and hopefully a satisfactory answer or two to go with them).


    A few ground rules need to be laid out to cut down on the static and keep the focus on the purpose of this thread.
    • Be specific as to what you're looking for in a game.
    • When suggesting a game, try to include a link to its dedicated thread.
    • Don't insult or call into question someone else's questions or answers; we all have different tastes here.
    • Do not embed videos or large pictures. Links only, please.
    • Quote the person you're responding to. If the thread gets busy, things can get confusing.
    • Be open to new things. Your favorite game could be the one you've never heard of or thought you'd like.
    • As always, please keep the conversation civil and constructive!

    ------------------------------

    All I see now are violent games where you shoot this or kill that, and to be honest I get bored with it very fast.
    So I was hoping to get some tips on non-violent games, like indie games, side-scrollers, adventure games, management games or RTS games like The Settlers would also be fun.

    I own Trine 1 & 2, Portal 1 & 2 and Psychonauts (not quite non-violent but far from violent anyway).

    Any tips for a game you think might fit into what I'm looking for? I know others might be interested as well, so let's see what we can gather up.
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-01-03 at 11:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Dreadlord Vynistra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    851
    Catherine.

  3. #3
    league of legends is fairly good and isn't violent imo, sure you're a champion who kills other champions, but there isn't blood, the graphics are cartoony and the champions aren't exactly people with guns. The game CAN be frustrating, but it is DEF worth a shot. It's free too!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    league of legends is fairly good and isn't violent imo, sure you're a champion who kills other champions, but there isn't blood, the graphics are cartoony and the champions aren't exactly people with guns. The game CAN be frustrating, but it is DEF worth a shot. It's free too!
    Darius makes me bleed a lot
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  5. #5
    I am Murloc! Gothicshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    All I see now are violent games where you shoot this or kill that, and to be honest I get bored with it very fast.
    So I was hoping to get some tips on non-violent games, like indie games, side-scrollers, adventure games, management games or RTS games like The Settlers would also be fun.

    I own Trine 1 & 2, Portal 1 & 2 and Psychonauts (not quite non-violent but far from violent anyway).

    Any tips for a game you think might fit into what I'm looking for? I know others might be interested as well, so let's see what we can gather up.
    All three good examples of ESRB rated T or E. use the Esrb ratings and look for games with 4 stars or more.

    See this list

    4stars with T rating
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...nid=1248883011

    4stars with E10+ rating
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...nid=2055857011

  6. #6
    The Patient Seasqwaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynistra View Post
    Catherine.
    That's an alright one. Loved it myself.

    Other Atlus games are great too; if you like JRPG's, the persona games can be fun, with the time away from battles and whatnot.

    Perhaps fragile dreams, or something else.

    It's kinda hard to think of games without death...
    Because all the one's I've named involve death. *sigh*

    Personally, I've always loved spending my time slowly playing black and white, as well as simcity and my favorite, roller coaster tycoon! (I like roller coasters, what can I say)

  7. #7
    For Xbox/PS3 -- Katamari Damacy
    Professor Layton on the DS
    Braid (fun, short game)
    Batman Arkham Asylum or City has a lot of fighting and sweet combos with no killing :P But i guess it's still violence.
    You could play for hours in an Elder Scrolls game without violence.
    Pikman
    THE SIMS
    Animal Crossing
    Plants vs. Zombies is a fun RTS i cannot recommend enough.

    There are tons that do not revolve around violence. I just named off some I've played in recent years.

  8. #8
    The Patient Seasqwaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Olala View Post
    For Xbox/PS3 -- Katamari Damacy
    Professor Layton on the DS
    Braid (fun, short game)
    Batman Arkham Asylum or City has a lot of fighting and sweet combos with no killing :P But i guess it's still violence.
    You could play for hours in an Elder Scrolls game without violence.
    Pikman
    THE SIMS
    Animal Crossing
    Plants vs. Zombies is a fun RTS i cannot recommend enough.

    There are tons that do not revolve around violence. I just named off some I've played in recent years.
    These are excellent suggestions.

  9. #9
    Legendary! Callace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ivory Tower
    Posts
    6,518
    I loved Portal for breaking the mold and not being a FP game where the goal is to shoot everything in the head.

    Beyond that... look into games from indie developers. They seem to be more in step with progressive types of games. I had some specific links, I'm sure someone else can help me out until I dig them up...
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-06-24 at 04:09 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    league of legends is fairly good and isn't violent imo, sure you're a champion who kills other champions, but there isn't blood, the graphics are cartoony and the champions aren't exactly people with guns. The game CAN be frustrating, but it is DEF worth a shot. It's free too!
    I would argue against this. The game may not be that violent, but the players' personalities are.

    If you have Steam, I would advise fun games like Legend of Fae, Sequence, and Vessel.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWerebison View Post
    I would argue against this. The game may not be that violent, but the players' personalities are.

    If you have Steam, I would advise fun games like Legend of Fae, Sequence, and Vessel.
    haha...you have a point, the game has a ton of feeders and spam happy 12 year olds!

  12. #12
    Epic! RaoBurning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Arizona, US
    Posts
    1,531
    This isn't out yet, but when it is get ready for a mind bender not seen since Portal.

    http://youtu.be/SS4r9Fq3beU
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Hey Elsa, do you wanna build a strawmaaaan?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by hksin11186 View Post
    This isn't out yet, but when it is get ready for a mind bender not seen since Portal.

    http://youtu.be/SS4r9Fq3beU
    Now that looks really interesting! Nice re-take on platforming

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! Gothicshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Posts
    5,069
    I should also mention

    ICO and Shadow of the Colossus

  15. #15
    Does Dear Esther have combat? I don't know if it does, I don't think it does, but I've heard that's a fantastic game. I need to get around to buying it one of these days...

  16. #16
    Field Marshal Euphonious Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The middle of the ocean
    Posts
    57
    You can't go wrong with any of the Lego games - start with Star Wars and go from there. They get more personality out of characters that don't talk than most games get out of their dialogue.

  17. #17
    Immortal mistuhbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Quel'Thalas
    Posts
    7,045
    Reccetear. The main focus of the game is running an item store in an RPG (like, you're Jo The Shopkeep in FFWhatever). There is dungeon crawling to find items to sell, but its cutsey violent

    Quantum Conumdrum. Quantum Conundrum is a first-person action video game by Airtight Games and published by Square Enix.[3] It is designed by Kim Swift, who formerly worked at Valve as a lead designer on Portal.

    Both of which are available on steam, there is even a demo of Reccetear there
    Last edited by mistuhbull; 2012-06-24 at 04:22 AM.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

    I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

  18. #18
    Mechagnome NeonX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    677
    Wow that's a hard one, the only games I can think of with no violence in them at all are simulator games like the Sims 3 or Railworks. Also there is mario kart but you do get power ups that sometimes "hurt" other drivers.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Does Dear Esther have combat? I don't know if it does, I don't think it does, but I've heard that's a fantastic game. I need to get around to buying it one of these days...
    Dear Esther does not have combat, nor does it have any sort of interactivity. Basically, all it is is an art show. It has beautiful visuals, and a story that is...I dunno, kind of interesting. But the whole thing is a work of art, not really a game. All you do is walk in the entire 1-hour experience, and look at pretty things. It's beautiful, I'll say it again, but don't go in there expecting a game, you can't even jump.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWerebison View Post
    Dear Esther does not have combat, nor does it have any sort of interactivity. Basically, all it is is an art show. It has beautiful visuals, and a story that is...I dunno, kind of interesting. But the whole thing is a work of art, not really a game. All you do is walk in the entire 1-hour experience, and look at pretty things. It's beautiful, I'll say it again, but don't go in there expecting a game, you can't even jump.
    Now I know I have to get it. $10 is a lot for 1-hour experience but it might be worth it. Heck you spend more than that for a movie in a theater.

    ---------- Post added 2012-06-23 at 06:30 PM ----------

    Audiosurf is a fun way to waste time too now that I think of it.

    Not sure if this would technically fit your focus but Amnesia: The Dark Descent might be worth checking out too. As I understand it, you're unable to fight back against anything in the game, so all you can do is run and hide.

    Dustforce is an interesting indie game you might be interested in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •