Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What makes a game good?

What do you think are the qualities that make up a good game? For me, a game is good when time passes by so fast while you play it. Thats what happens when I play Honeyday Blitz 2. At first, I didn’t think anything of it cus it’s the same gameplay with Candy Crush. The hexagonal layout may be a small thing, but adds a lot more fun. Really gotta look closely for the next move.

What do you think?

Bloodsail Admiral
    Quote Originally Posted by kylie900 View Post
    What do you think are the qualities that make up a good game? For me, a game is good when time passes by so fast while you play it. Thats what happens when I play Honeyday Blitz 2. At first, I didn’t think anything of it cus it’s the same gameplay with Candy Crush. The hexagonal layout may be a small thing, but adds a lot more fun. Really gotta look closely for the next move.

What do you think?

Well for one your right if you can get lost in a game and lose track of time of course your enjoying it - Time flies when your having fun.

What makes a game good is subjective there are many genres of games and the number of game genres has expanded greatly in the last decade.

For me what makes a single player game great is the Story / Choices the game doesn't have to be an RPG or it can be more of another genre but the more choice the better.

The setting: is the setting unique or generic?

Immersion.

and most importantly Gameplay. The game play systems and controls have to be smooth or I will know in 10 minutes wether or not I love a game. IS the gameplay fun or is tedious? Are there multiple ways the game can be played? How difficult is the game?

Multiplayer games are different and I truly believe no game has ever achieved both a perfect single player and multiplayer offered at the same time.

Take Halo. I love Halo I played through the single player many times in Halo and halo 2 its fun but I think Halo succeeded as a multiplayer game more and that's why it sells copies. I have a cousin that never even touched the single player or played the first game before diving into the 2nd. He just got the game because thats what his friends were playing.

Halo at least the first one maybe the first 3 games had a really good story it could of been adapted into films and it was adapted into Books but the gameplay wasn't super exciting it was rather simple.

The game sold well because it felt right as a FPS on Console which was a first at least for the XBOX, for the time it had stellar visuals, it had a good variety of MP modes and maps and weapons.

Then you have a game like Knights of the old republic. Kotor is an RPG it offers no Multiplayer so it doesn't have as much replay value as a game like Halo you can play with friends and every time its a somewhat different encounter.

Theres only so much you can mod Kotor to make it play differently each time. Yet the fact remains that even though I sunk many more hours into a game like halo or WOW Kotor will always be my favorite game.

It immersed me into the star wars Expanded universe, it had a great story and I liked the gameplay also.

What makes a good game is whatever makes it special to you , if it invokes your passions, if you think about it when your not playing it just like a movie you haven't seen in a while you love or a favorite novel.

What makes a game good? Keywords for me are immersion (scenery, story, etc.) and gameplay (mechanics of NPC's and your own character, how you interact with the world and functionality such as quests). Immersion includes many aspects such as soundtracks, combat effects (such as lightsabers in SWTOR, etc.) and much more than that. Gameplay often relates to the complexity and dynamics of how we control our characters and how the world function around us.

These two keywords determine the quality of a title for me. Without immersion I really don't care too much for the gameplay. Without decent gameplay the immersion won't keep me entertained alone.

A thing I don't value in terms of quality of a title is convenience, for instance. If convenience become more prominent than gameplay or immersion I begin to question if it has gone too far.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2015-08-28 at 07:43 AM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

What makes a game good? You enjoying it. /thread

Atmosphere and immersion, something sorely lacking in modern games.

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoBrando View Post
    Atmosphere and immersion, something sorely lacking in modern games.
    Hell we just had a game come out this Tuesday that oozes immersion and atmosphere...

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    oozes immersion
    Quite the oxymoron!

Hey folks, time to find a new buzzword to chew over, "immersion" is really starting to wear now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rassium View Post
    I like General Off-Topic. It's really cool to see people with My Little Pony avatars advocating for genocide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    Stalin isn't Hitler.

As a game developer, this is something that gets asked often. It's a question that comes up at seminars and GDC's and the like, for a number of reasons.

Some people (developers, companies) assume that fun = money, so making something fun is the goal. So people focus specifically on 'fun', and often lose sight of it. Worse, they see people playing their stuff, and playing it a LOT, and are led to believe that playing a lot = having fun.

Facebook games, mobile IAP games, I'm looking at you.

A lot of gamers and non-gamers alike are often caught in a system. The "Achievement Thrall". The desire to keep doing something, or upkeep stuff. You keep going even if you aren't technically having fun. This is the monetary cash cow a lot of developers desire these days, and some of them equate that to fun.

I know this doesn't really answer the question, but 'fun' is unique to certain groups. And that changes. It's also not a black and white thing. It's a scale, and even then it's more complex than that. It's more like a web, fun for different reasons. The key is finding out what you want to do. Do you want a game to be fun for a small audience? Do you want it to be wildly successful? There is no 'best game ever' but there are happy mediums in between. Strangely, that 'happy medium' seems to be getting lower, and you see more games that are "Extremely Fun" but short lived, or have low replay value, or "Extremely addictive" but nobody can really describe what's so enjoyable about it, or those things are small pieces of the whole.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Quite the oxymoron!

Hey folks, time to find a new buzzword to chew over, "immersion" is really starting to wear now.
    What are you on about? Immersion is a a core concept in anything relating to escapism.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyldragon View Post
    What are you on about? Immersion is a a core concept in anything relating to escapism.
    The guy is trying to be snarky and clever in multiple threads at once. Just ignore it.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyldragon View Post
    a) The use of "ooze" in connection to "immersion" is contradictory. Something that draws in is pouring out. Funny wording.
    b) Immersion is randomly and vaguely, sometimes falsely used buzzword that everyone picked up and now throws around without really knowing what it means. Buzzwords get stale, hence my recommendation to start looking for another one
    Quote Originally Posted by Rassium View Post
    I like General Off-Topic. It's really cool to see people with My Little Pony avatars advocating for genocide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    Stalin isn't Hitler.

Oh, that's easy. If I like a game, it is good for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Science has promised us nothing and given us everything, faith has promised us everything and given us nothing.

Are you having fun playing it? How much do you have to think about the hunk of plastic in or under your hands in order to play? Does it keep you interested?

If you answer those questions positively, you've got a good game.
    Hana no Uta 1-4 Watch: Aug 17 - Aug 23 Discuss: Aug 24 - Aug 25
    Hana no Uta 5-8 Watch: Aug 26 - Aug 30 Discuss: Aug 31 - Sept 1
    Hoshi no Umi 1-3 Watch: Sept 2 - Sept 6 Discuss: Sept 7 - Sept 8
    Hana no Uta 9-11 Watch: Sept 9 - Sept 13 Discuss: Sept 14 - Sept 15
    Hana no Uta 12-13 Watch: Sept 16 - Sept 20 Discuss: Sept 21 - Sept 22
    Tsuki ni Naku 1-3 Watch: Sept 23 - Sept 27 Discuss: Sept 28 - Sept 29

Singleplayer games don't capture me for too long, might play 'em a bit and get bored. I like a competitive multiplayer game where personal skill matters because I hate relying on random scrubs.

Thus rocket league is the perfect game

Entertainment is what makes a game good.

The real question is, what entertains you? That's subjective.

Game rules are objective. How you feel about those rules is subjective.

There is no true objective measure of 'good' in a video game or artwork. Though a well made game is one with no contradictions in it's rules and that is fit for purpose. The closer one gets to a harmonious design and functional implementation of that design the better made a video game is- this is the closest objective measure there can be to a 'good' game.

Simply put, a game is good if I enjoy it. Cribbage is not a very immersive game but I've had many a great hour playing cribbage with friends. Its a good game.

The original zelda game had a short blurb of a story in a book and then you were off on your way with rarely more lines than "Its a secret to everybody" and yet its considered a classic good game.
    [Infracted!]

A game is good when developers make a game that they want, the more they adapt it for a general audience, the more charm it looses. A good developer has the mindset of "If you don't like it, don't play it"

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    a) The use of "ooze" in connection to "immersion" is contradictory. Something that draws in is pouring out. Funny wording.
    I don't think you get it. If something is "pouring out" of your tv or monitor then it is pretty immersive and drawing you into it's world. It's not contradictory at all.

Interesting Characters and Mechanics.