Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the problem with many theoretical concepts in physics is that they require infinite energy. So /theoretically/ it's possible if you have more energy than the entire galaxy. Wait what? You call that a viable theory? Face palm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be cool.. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pum View Post
    Teleportation with humans will never be possible. Teleportation has already been achieved with a hydrogen atom, but the amount of energy just to teleport the hydrogen atom to another location was insane, and the amount of energy required to teleport a human would be 'unfathomable'.

Also, when the hydrogen atom was teleported, it was all jumbled up, warped and parts of it were destroyed.
    Portals, can't see how they could be created. Teleportation I could possibly see, but the two ways to do it seem thousands of years off. Actually transfer matter through space and time, or completely destroy matter and create it new on the other side (I'm no expert so correct me if I'm wrong, but we cannot create matter no?, short of a world destroying explosion I mean)
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    This is the big question imo. Imagine going to sleep then something making an exact sleeping copy of you in every way even down to your memories. Then your original is euthanised and the copy is awoken. Would you still be alive?

They are already testing teleportation, check this video from 37:00 onward
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv1_YB1IedE
    No you aren't still alive, your copy is still alive, but the consciousness that was actually YOU is gone and replaced with what is for lack of a better term, a fake. Although a very good fake.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kynthrus View Post
    No you aren't still alive, your copy is still alive, but the consciousness that was actually YOU is gone and replaced with what is for lack of a better term, a fake. Although a very good fake.
    Computers will be strong enough to hold a human consciousness in less than 100 years. We could just upload our consciousness to a computer, send it to the location you wish to be "teleported" too and upload it to your new body(copy). For all intents and purposes, that will be you!

Unless, we have a non-physical part(soul) somewhere in our body that makes us who we are! But that's a different thread

Edit: I'm not sure if "consciousness" is the best term to use here. But you know what i mean :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh . . . and create an opening for the Combine to take over Earth and oppress us?

I don't think so.
    Putin khuliyo

sorry for not answered so soon after posting. but when i mean with Portal i mean Wormholes think of it as a opening of a door to the other side of earth. hundreds of tiny electric pixels working togheter on a frame scaled so a person should not get stuck when entered.

Honestly I just don't think it's possible...maybe in space...but I don't think we could make one on earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychedelica View Post
    ok think of games like Portal or wow portals.
    To achieve this we would have to harness the power of a black-hole, do I think one day someone might figure a way to use a black hole to created a wormhole that a person could just step through and find them selves somewhere else? No.

Do I think one day a large group of people could harness the power of a black hole to create a wormhole that a star-ship could safely pass through? Yes.

Reason, the math that makes a wormhole possible also states that it will have crushing gravity. It might be possible to protect a person inside of a star-ship but you would never be able to just walk through it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't think altering space-time will ever be in our grasp. We will be extinct long before that theoretical science ever comes to fruition. The entire concept seems more far-fetched the more I think about it.

Teleportation though...sure, maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure why not, who knows what the future brings.
    I mean, we have achieved plenty of things that where previously thought to be impossible.

I believe it's ignorant to ever believe something is impossible. There is just so much we don't know or understand. Even gravity, something that we've known to exist for centuries, we don't even fully understand how it works just that it does and has measurable qualities.

Deleted
    Considering how often we find bugs and glitches in smaller programs I doubt we would ever be able to finalize something as advanced as a portal; since it would be breaking us apart bit by bit and either recreate an exact copy of us at the new location with other parts or somehow send all of the parts the entire distance to then rebuild it, imagine just how advanced this is and what would happen if there was even the slightest mistake in the programming.

I feel however that Earth is by far not big enough to require portals, if we can advance our trains and or plains they will be more than enough to travel great distances in a short matter of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siika View Post
    They don't teleport you.
    They make an exact copy of you, send the information to the other end, recreate, and then kill the original.
    There's quite a few problems in that.
    well thats quite....ehhh

maybe, who knows when tho.
    I'd torture a thousand souls just to see her smile.

It would be cool if this could eventualy happen, I have no idea how it would, but it would be cool. Also if someone had the ability to time travel wouldn't they come back and tell us?

no not possible :P there is WAY to much math involved to produce such tech.

we need a massive supercomputer just so that it can do simple quantum physics problems.
    01000001 01101110 01110100 01100101 00100000 01001101 01100101 01110010 01101001 01100100 01101001 01100101 01101101 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110010 01100101 01100011 01110010 01110101 01101001 01110100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100001 00100000 01100001 01101101 01110111 01101111 01110111 00101110 01101110 01100101 01110100

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjapaws View Post
    no not possible :P there is WAY to much math involved to produce such tech.

we need a massive supercomputer just so that it can do simple quantum physics problems.
    I'm sure we'll have a powerful enough computer in 1 million years.

Unless we find some sort of uber awesome element or super advanced alien species to help us.

However, I would be afriad to use one after reading Stephen King's short story The Jaunt.

Teleportation as in reducing you to component atoms and then transporting them somehow and reassembling them raises questions about whether it's really you coming out the other end. And why you transport at all and don't just create a perfect clone at the receptor pad instead.

Folding space so that you can move from one point to another without crossing the intervening space has been extensively discussed in speculative science but we can't be sure whether it is or is not possible at this stage. You can talk about things like Einstein-Rosen bridges but there is no evidence they exist or are possible, they simply fail to violate Einstein's field equations. Which is not evidence they do exist it's just lack of evidence that they don't.

Incidentally most concepts of wormholes wouldn't be terribly useful as they would crush all the matter in your body (and your spaceship) into a single point before spitting you out the other side. So... ouch.

In the future yes. But will you or your children or grand children see it? Most likely no.
    Check out this website if ur into what could be going on in the future.
    http://www.futuretimeline.net/
    Its super interesting