Wondering what weapon to buy + DW question

Hi. Looking for 1h weapon atm, but can't decide what do I want on it - LoH, Life Steal, Crit Damage and a socket for more Crit Damage, or just higher DPS weapon with pretty much no stats?
    What's better, say 750 DPS weapon with 350 LoH, ~50% crit damage and a socket, OR 1k dps weapon with nothing on it?
    Oh and don't want to create new topic so I'll just ask here - how do they calculate DPS when dual-wielding? Take DPS from main hand weapon, take stats from both weapons, and add +15% attack speed? Or do they combine both weapons' DPS and divide by two? Pretty weird results I get when I try to swap my shield for some random 1h I manage to find on the ground.
    -Barbarian here.

In a perfect world you want a weapon with:

-High DPS (Close to 1000)
    -500+LoH
    -50%+ Crit Damage
    -Socket
    -Str
    -Vit

Use a DPS Calculator to try find an equivalent weapon with good dps e.g. My 800 dps weapon with 300 str is equivalent to a 980 dps weapon without any str.

Main stat imo if you're playing DW Barb and want to progress through A3/4 is LoH. I would never ever buy another 1H if it didn't have at least 500 LoH. Only time i'd do that if it was some godly 1K dps with all the other stats I mentioned.

How to Calculate your DPS - for calculating your dps.

For DW 1H - Take both weapons minimum damage and average them. Take both weapons maximum damage and average them. Add a 15% IAS into your calculations. All stats are added up together, not averaged. Your attack speed is based off whatever is in your main slot so always have your faster weapon in your main hand.

There is an awesome html version of whats in that youtube video that you can find if you google "armada dps calculator" however it is currently down atm so I don't have a direct link. It's a really amazing tool.
    Last edited by PowerGamez; 2012-06-24 at 10:11 PM.

Just to add to what PowerGamez said, since he didn't explicitly state it .. Life Steal is really terrible unless you've got really high DPS (at least 40k, maybe higher).

Also, someone on here had done some testing a while back and found that 100 STR is about equivalent to an extra 7% of weapon damage (so a 500dps weapon with 200 strength is equivalent to a 570dps weapon with no strength).
    Last edited by Aliessil; 2012-06-24 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks a bunch guys! Now the hard part - snap 1h weapon for less than a trillion gold
    Only problem is I can't really find 900-950ish DPS weapon with appropriate stats at all, even those that cost 200m are usually crap wit Dex+Int (on one weapon) :/ I guess most awesome items goes to RMAH.

Know what you mean, I almost never see decent weapons on the AH ><

I'm currently toting a spear with 826.8dps, 141 strength and a socket (+300 life). I'd like to upgrade it to an axe / mace with additional LoH and +crit damage, but items like that seem extremely rare! Only one on the EU AH atm, and it's got no buyout :-(

Slightly OT, but am I imagining that most of the decent weapons are spears? Sure seems that way!

Idk about spears, but weapons are more and more expensive every day it seems, or am I dreaming here? My friend bought a nice 1h 790ish DPS with 300 LoH, crit damage and a socket for 2,7m a week ago, now something similar costs 10m+ :O

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 10:51 AM ----------

Also, I wish there was a way to tell what is the amount of extra DPS on weapon is worth it not to have any LoH on it :/
    I could afford 1154 DPS 1h with no stats OR 1013 DPS 1h with 823 LoH and 44 Str. No idea what I'd like more.
    Last edited by Tokas; 2012-06-25 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    Also, I wish there was a way to tell what is the amount of extra DPS on weapon is worth it not to have any LoH on it :/
    I could afford 1154 DPS 1h with no stats OR 1013 DPS 1h with 823 LoH and 44 Str. No idea what I'd like more.
    That doesn't really have much to do with your weapon's DPS, unless you're using life steal (which generally isn't very good). For me, I've a fairly small health pool so on single mobs, Revenge doesn't proc for much so I really like Life on Hit. The more health and mitigation you have, the better Revenge procs compare to incoming damage and the less useful Life on Hit becomes.

i.e. If Revenge procs are healing all incoming damage, then Life on Hit is pretty worthless.

It's also worth noting that Life on Hit can come from sources other than weapons, too. At the very least, you can also get LoH on rings and amulets, and I've also seen it on at least one legendary glove. It's definitely possible to get >700 LoH without having any on your weapon.
    Last edited by Aliessil; 2012-06-25 at 10:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    That doesn't really have much to do with your weapon's DPS, unless you're using life steal (which generally isn't very good). For me, I've a fairly small health pool so on single mobs, Revenge doesn't proc for much so I really like Life on Hit. The more health and mitigation you have, the better Revenge procs compare to incoming damage and the less useful Life on Hit becomes.

i.e. If Revenge procs are healing all incoming damage, then Life on Hit is pretty worthless.

It's also worth noting that Life on Hit can come from sources other than weapons, too. At the very least, you can also get LoH on rings and amulets, and I've also seen it on at least one legendary glove. It's definitely possible to get >700 LoH without having any on your weapon.
    Weapon, rings, amulet, and bracers. I've never seen it on a glove, but I'm sure it exists on specific ones.

Like everyone said, go for mitigation and you don't need LoH if you're already getting sufficient heals from Revenge all the time (I hope you took the 30% proc rune)

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Weapon, rings, amulet, and bracers. I've never seen it on a glove, but I'm sure it exists on specific ones.

Like everyone said, go for mitigation and you don't need LoH if you're already getting sufficient heals from Revenge all the time (I hope you took the 30% proc rune)
    Until you meet an immune minion pack X_X. Relying ONLY on revenge heals implies you have good enough gear already to take a good fair beating (which is probably cheaper than fucking LoH gear). :\

The weapons I'm running as a DW Barb are 800 dps each, both with about 140 strength and at least 90% crit damage on them.
    I snagged them both for 1.5 mil each two weeks ago and never needed to seek out replacements yet.

The life on hit isn't absolutely necessary, I went with only 105 from my Bul-Kathos Wedding Band when doing 5 stack Diablo runs.
    LoH adds a serious premium to your weapon, without it you might be able to snag something for cheap.

As for the loss in damage from 900~ down to 800~ isn't too noticeable either, so long as you keep the crit chance / damage up high on your other pieces of gear.

Running 68k dps with shout, killing elite packs in all acts without issue - And I never spent more than 2 mil on each slot I wear...hell, my helm cost me 10k :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    Until you meet an immune minion pack X_X. Relying ONLY on revenge heals implies you have good enough gear already to take a good fair beating (which is probably cheaper than fucking LoH gear). :\
    Revenge does heal on Immune mobs as well as far as I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Revenge does heal on Immune mobs as well as far as I know?
    It does heal off of them, but they might not trigger it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    It does heal off of them, but they might not trigger it?
    Revenge has a chance to trigger whenever you get hit, so the mobs being invulnerable is irrelevant, so long as they're still hitting you.
    The heal is based on how many mobs the Revenge hits - Invulnerable mobs still get hit, they just don't take damage.
    The ONLY effect that the Invulnerable affix has is that Revenge doesn't do any damage - it still hits them and still heals you.

I ran into packs of rares with Invulnerable Minions + Horde a couple of times ... makes it pretty obvious that the heal part's still working!