Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How do you throw away a bible?

First off, do not provoke anyone, make it into a flame thread or troll, there is no intent of such here.

So this has been bothering me for a while. I am kind of beginning to become a hoarder of books, mostly academia stuff that I studied on my own time, but I also have a tick where if I don't like something I read or it's something very generic or redundant I get rid of it (good self control practice when you find it hard to get rid of stuff). Now most of this is only somewhat relevant because one item that I have a problem with is the bible. I was raised fairly christian (mother very religious, father not at all) so religion was a part of my childhood but an extremely small part and really after the age of 12 or so I did not associate myself with religion in any way, I just have no time nor interest in it.

So my dilemma is that I have a bible, had it for quite a few years now to the point I don't even remember where I got it from and I never read it or think about reading it but it's sitting on my bookshelf and whenever I think about it it annoys me ever so slightly because it has absolutely no business being an item that I feel like I should have or ever have a use for. But what do I do with it? Is there like a protocol for getting rid of it? Any other book I'd just throw out no problem at all (well, I'd be kinda sad but I'd get over it really quickly) but just the way I was raised prevents me from simply throwing it in a dumpster and forgetting about it. It just doesn't feel good. And nothing about this is even rational, it's the most printed book on the planet, there are certainly no shortages of it so it's not like I could give it to someone. Any suggestions for this first world problem?
    Last edited by Linaver; 2012-06-25 at 01:38 AM.

Bring it to a local church? I'm sure they can find a use for it.

And never throw a book out. Someone, somewhere, has a use for it.

First off, do not throw away books! Donate them. My family used to box up tons of books and send them overseas to the troops back during the first gulf war. You could do that with the bible even.

I'm very similar to you, literally word for word of the first paragraph. My dilemma, however, is I have no bible and often forget to get one. It's not that I'm very religious, I would just like to go back and read it on my own in my own time.
    Most of my Sunday school teachers were rubbish and very biased.
    Sorry, my own rant.

Donate, don't trash!

Simply remember it is JUST a physical object. You won't get smited for it, or anything of the sort. An ordinary man wrote it. An ordinary machine made the copy, and ordinary ink and paper were used to make it. All of which you can find on this earth.

Deleted
    Quite easily, I'd say. Infact, it'd be THE book I would throw away if I ever had one.
    Unless it's some really old version that might have an antique value, there is nothing remarkable about it. Toss it. Doubt you'd give any other books to a library if you didn't want them. Stop being afraid of a book.

I'm not religious in any way, but I own about 30 bibles that I've collected from various sources...

Just keep it on your shelf, if for no other reason than for something to reference if you need to look up a passage. Treat it like a dictionary or thesaurus, in other words.

If you'd throw any other book away, I see no reason the Bible should be any different. However, I'm staunchly opposed to ever throwing any book away, ever. It's a terrible waste. Donate it to a local library.

Deleted
    Just put it in a bin, how hard is that

15+ Year Old Account
    Thrift Store / Salvation Army
    Take a break from politics once in awhile, it's good for you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fentality View Post
    Just put it in a bin, how hard is that
    He's afraid of superstitions and boogeymen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burn it. Or donate it like others have said.
    "My redemption, lies in your demise" - Randy Blythe, Vocalist of Lamb of God.

Yeah, I'd probably call up a few churches and see if they have use for it. There's a few book stores around town that may want it too.

Deleted
    If you can't be arsed to donate it somewhere then just throw it in the trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your beliefs. If you hold it sacred, give it to a church or someone you know to be interested in such things.
    You could toss it, though. You won't end up like that chick in Drag Me to Hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I should clarify I never threw away a book in my life, at least not that I remember. I still have a 2,000 page algebra book that was half destroyed by rain (still readable) and I still keep it cause.. you never know. Math.

What I meant is that I have no particular reason why I would find it difficult. I am just not in the practice of doing it.
    Last edited by Linaver; 2012-06-25 at 01:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Over your right shoulder.

As stated NEVER throw books out. Donate them. I'm not sure what you have in Canada but over here we have a few organisations like the Salvation Army, St Vincent DePaul's and a couple of other mobs who help those less fortunate. I often purchase multiple books from there for my Grandmother to read (she lives in a nursing home so she goes through a few) and when she's finished with them I donate them back. By doing this everyone gets something out of it and we don't add perfectly good books to landfill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crucify it .

If you have convictions against discarding it or destroying it, just donate it or take it to a local church. I had an old stained American flag that I was going to replace, and someone told me to burn the old one. I had a few issues with that, mainly my neighbors seeing me, so I took it to a thrift shop where they actually had special protocol for stuff like that, though I'm not sure how they discarded it.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    He's afraid of superstitions and boogeymen.
    It's pretty clear from his opening post that he's not afraid of anything, he just feels a little strange about doing it. It's a completely reasonable irrational behavior, and he acknowledges that.