Deleted

Mohammed Morsi - What does he stand for?

As he now won the election in Egypt, I'm wondering what he personally stands for.
    There isn't really much information about him on the internet :-/

Is someone here on MMO, who is from Egypt or knows more about him?

In the German press, the expectations are mostly negative. But the few statements he made, don't sound that bad to me, as he emphasized, that he will stand for peace and for example opposes discrimination of women.
    It's interesting that he had left his political party (Muslim Brotherhood) when he became president. As far as I got it, that is because he as a president has to be relieved from the oath of allegiance to the party, which sounds quite sane, as the interests of the population as a whole have to have a bigger importance, than the interests of his ex-party.

That he studied in California for about 4 years and became an assistent professor after that for another 3 years, before he went back to Egypt to teach there, also sounds positive to me. I guess he adapted some standpoints regarding human rights etc. As he is an ingenieur I also think, that he is able to think rational and doesn't take everything in the Quran literally. So I'm wondering, what he will do in Egypt to build up a stable democracy. Right now for example the military has way too much power.

Deleted
    I'm always afraid with Religion + Political, that's the two reason why people go to war!

Daymn them going to fight the good fight!

Also:

Yeah, fight the good fight for freedom and democracy in middle east! I bet dem be glad they managed to kick out the oppressive Mubarak in few years. Libya stands in line watching in awe.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Well he must share some ideas with his former party so in essence well it is probably going to suck from a western perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    tinypic.com/vseu07.png
    haha.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2012-06-25 at 10:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's the lesser of two evils, so yeah, Egypt has taken it's first step into democracy. Religious Fundamentalist > Warlord/Dictator, that was pretty much their choices.

Picture pretty much sums it up. They campaign for freedom but really they just mean freedom for the few and oppression for everyone that disagrees. No better than it was before, potentially even worse.

Its a fine line, but based on what we're seeing in new legislation in the Middle East post spring, its not looking very good. The Muslim Brotherhood isn't very giving when its comes to modern practice. Also, they're going through an economic drag. In terms of Middle Eastern track records, they tend to turn to religion in such straights. Also, salafism is really strict and often caught up with terrorism (no, I'm not going to apologize on this just look at Germany as well as financial histories). I also worry about things when you see what happened in the parliament before it was disbanded. One of their first issues to tackle were dress codes. NOT their financial issues.

That said, I personally think it will all come down to how vocal the populace is. Many of the people that voted in favor of the winner were not those involved in the uprising (youth =/= the MB which came in mid to late arab spring / salafist's came with MB). Al Jazhira commentators rapidly swapped support once the uprising gained momentum. So fairness in the new Egypt could come down to vocal outrage. Also, in the case of Egypt, a separation of the military might be a good thing. Another bad thing, is that he even mentioned the thought of an islamic renaissance. Egypt has generally been secular, hence the relations with Israel. Again, sexual harassment has also dramatically increased. And trend wise, thats whats been seen when other areas become islamic states (refer to African nations, other middle eastern regions, and to a lesser extent, portions of Germany).

Also, Primernova, thats a very simplistic way to look at things. While yes, the dictator issue is usually taboo, it was international stability to a point. Religious fundamentalism is never the answer. Zealots are less preferred then power mongers. At least the power mongers are afraid of something. Zealots prefer to beat with a stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Udderpowered View Post
    Picture pretty much sums it up. They campaign for freedom but really they just mean freedom for the few and oppression for everyone that disagrees. No better than it was before, potentially even worse.
    with sharia implemented their main source of funds will be gone...country will just turn into a bigger shithole then it is now.

While I agree that democracy is merely a dictatorship by majority rule, I can't say I trust that video posted.
    Reason 1: I do not speak Arab.
    Reason 2: It was posted on a site called 'RabbiLIVE.com,' and I don't trust ANY Israeli video by default (nor any Iranian video about Israel; as far as I'm concerned, they're all bloody liars when it comes to that particular conflict).
    Reason 3: While I could clearly hear 'Hamas' in the chanting, I had a hard time identifying the word 'Jerusalem' or any semitic variation thereof... Unless, of course, the Arab word for Jerusalem is 'Kots,' pretty much the Dutch word for 'Puke.'

I would also like to state that I am particularly anti-theocracy, so that means I am also incredibly anti-Zionist. 'God promised us...' is NOT an excuse or a reason. No, you cannot kill Jews because God (reputedly, but not actually) told you so. No, you cannot take land by force because God (reputedly, but not actually) claims you are his favourites. Grow up and use diplomacy, thank you very much. Holy Books are for religion; not politics.
    Also: You worship the same bloody god! So what if the Jews don't accept Jesus of Nazareth as the Messiah (Masih in Arabic). You're not waging a war on atheists, and we don't even believe in your god, let alone messianic notions!

I don't expect Morsi to be completely secular. But I think he'll try to be as secular as he can, with his background. At least it's paving the way to a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I would also like to state that I am particularly anti-theocracy, so that means I am also incredibly anti-Zionist. 'God promised us...' is NOT an excuse or a reason. No, you cannot kill Jews because God (reputedly, but not actually) told you so. No, you cannot take land by force because God (reputedly, but not actually) claims you are his favourites. Grow up and use diplomacy, thank you very much. Holy Books are for religion; not politics.
    The reason jews are in middle east right now is because of holy books. The whole region was under muslim control for like 1300 years until they decided to return to their holy lands backed up by western world. They are the real aggressors of the area.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

The reason jews are in middle east right now is because of holy books. The whole region was under muslim control for like 1300 years until they decided to return to their holy lands backed up by western world. They are the real aggressors of the area.
    Well no, not really. There have been people of the Jewish Faith, and people of the Jewish Race, in the 'holy lands' the entire time. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your crusade, right?

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Well no, not really. There have been people of the Jewish Faith, and people of the Jewish Race, in the 'holy lands' the entire time. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your crusade, right?
    There's a difference between small pockets of them being there within islamist nations and then coming in en masse to proclaim the land to be their own again. But don't you let that get into your way.

There's a difference between small pockets of them being there within islamist nations and then coming in en masse to proclaim the land to be their own again. But don't you let that get into your way.
    The country that ruled the area attempted to split the land between a Jewish state and a Palestinian state. The Palestinians refused. Guess the Jews get their land and the Palestinians don't.

The country that ruled the area attempted to split the land between a Jewish state and a Palestinian state. The Palestinians refused. Guess the Jews get their land and the Palestinians don't.
    One could argue that a united Palestine where people of all faiths would be welcome would be better for everyone than a split, aggression and conquering of others in the name of 'This is MAH land cuz GAWD told me so! Gid orf mah propertah!"

Edit: Also: Jewish 'race' is bullocks. The Hebrew were a Semitic people. So were the Arabs. 'Semitic' is a racial group. 'Judaism' is a religion. While I can't help that the religion wants to think of itself as 'religious, racial and national denomination,' I can outright say that the religion is simply dead wrong.
    Last edited by Stir; 2012-06-25 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    One could argue that a united Palestine where people of all faiths would be welcome would be better for everyone than a split, aggression and conquering of others in the name of 'This is MAH land cuz GAWD told me so! Gid orf mah propertah!"

Edit: Also: Jewish 'race' is bullocks. The Hebrew were a Semitic people. So were the Arabs. 'Semitic' is a racial group. 'Judaism' is a religion. While I can't help that the religion wants to think of itself as 'religious, racial and national denomination,' I can outright say that the religion is simply dead wrong.
    So you feel that the Brits should have retained control of that area? Since no local power was religiously tolerant...

So you feel that the Brits should have retained control of that area? Since no local power was religiously tolerant...
    Yes. And then work towards an independently, and democratically, ruled Palestine.

It's a lot better than giving everyone guns and shouting: 'Now have a good scrap for the next fifty years, dear chaps!'

Deleted
    This whole Arab Spring is bullshit. Rebels are losing whatever freedom they had left by placing religious extremists on the helm.