Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Mayan Calender Was WRONG-Doomsday has been debunked

There has been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar Created it in 45BC.

Without the extra day every four years, today would be july 28th, 2013.

Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year....so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago!!!!

Problem 20 million dollar bunker builders?

What are your thoughts?

Proof Maya's didn't use leap year(Scroll down to Maya Section) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...tures-science/
    Last edited by golds; 2012-03-05 at 07:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great... Now how am I gonna get my life savings back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

I think we can safely say that just about everyone already knew the mayans were wrong... Apart from that small but vocal minority of pseudo-spiritual numbskulls who really do believe that someone can predict the future over thousands of years, and do so accurately to the day.

I also think Caesar didn't actually create the modern calender system... It's a lot of work, and if you've got an empire to run, you don't really have time for such frivolities. Rather, he probably had someone else do it for him. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean aside from the fact that modern Mayan scholars have always said that this was bullshit in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, this changes everything.

Is this really the proof you needed?

I'm surprised that anyone still takes the Mayan doomsday thing seriously (or ever did, really), but especially surprised that anyone who takes it seriously would change their mind now based on leap years, instead of all the other, much stronger reasons against it.

Well Snooki is pregnant and due around December so yeah I think they were right about doomsday.

Deleted
    Those two calendars are not related, and the mayan calendar is based on astronomical observations, so I think it's safe to assume that if we weren't using leap years in our calendar the end of mayan calendar would be still 9 and a half months away from today.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is actually an asteroid on a crash-collision course with Earth that is supposed to arrive around 2040. Scientist are saying that it is so big that it has the potential to do some serious harm to Earth, and that they are preparing right now a way to divert/destroy the asteroid before it arrives.
    http://www.sott.net/articles/show/24...-earth-in-2040

Deleted
    wow, who would have known they didn't predict the end of the world.

And here I was getting all pumped up for the chance to fight Deathwing IRL ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Finland, the night is dark and full of terrors.
    Its just that their calendar is ending though, not doomsday predicted. Do not forget they predicted accurately some huge historical events.

10+ Year Old Account
    The age of aquarius, chemicader?

Deleted
    I better go and un-make my bunker.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know what you're getting at, OP, and I don't believe the 2012 myth any more than the next person, but the "end of the world" is meant to fall specifically on the winter solstice - so recalculating the date doesn't accomplish anything, because the solstice always happens on the 21st of December.

This.

Deny ignorance!

lol "debunked". Please.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by golds View Post
    There has been about 514 Leap Years since Caesar Created it in 45BC.

Without the extra day every four years, today would be july 28th, 2013.

Also, the Mayan calendar did not account for leap year....so technically the world should have ended 7 months ago!!!!

Problem 20 million dollar bunker builders?

What are your thoughts?

Proof Maya's didn't use leap year(Scroll down to Maya Section) http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...tures-science/
    Not just your observation of the Julian Calender but we use the Gregorian Calender now so its further buggered up for the mayan calender believers. Also its funny how we don't actually talk to the remaining Mayan people in the world about it.

Deleted
    Was I the only one that thought it was a joke when i read in the first article:

Assertion 1: that 1 Poop fell on the 16th of July, Julian calendar.

OT, I'm incredibly surprised that the end of the world wont happen in 2012... /sarcasm off