Angry My mom's house got robbed, can I track them down via PS3?

So, it looks like someone has stolen my mother's HDTV and my PS3 I left in her care. She's been out of town for about a month, and when I went to check her place, her house was completely locked-up, and everything looked in perfect order -- except the TV and PS3 were nowhere in sight.

I'm curious if there's a way I'll be able to track down the PS3?

Normally, I try to hold on to the boxes that came with my consoles, although my family has attempted to throw them out several times (because it's "clutter"), so I'm not 100% sure I still have it. I do know my PSN ID, though, so perhaps there's a way I could locate it through that, should the thieves connect it online?

I'll be checking several pawn shops and GameStops around, both around where she lives, and around where I live. I'm going to go back to her house and check once more, to make sure they are in fact missing, rather than just having been misplaced, and I'll file a police report afterwards.

It galls me that some bastard could live with themselves stealing from someone. I've been working since I was 14 up until last year when I got laid-off, and I sure as hell don't work so that someone else can benefit from my labor. I'm so pissed-off right now that I can't even sleep.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Call the police....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    Call the police....
    This would be wise, assuming you haven't done so already and are completely sure that your belongings are missing. The police are far more qualified to give you the specific advice you require than the vast majority of people who frequent this site.

Like I said, I'm going to go back over and make sure those things are missing; I didn't make a big deal at first because I thought maybe she had simply moved them, so I didn't spend a great deal of time looking. Her memory is horrible, and she can't remember whether she moved them or not. Considering her house was in perfect order, I just didn't think anything of it, and I want to be 100% sure that those things are missing before I go calling the police.

However, I've not had much luck with the police in the past. I've grown up in some pretty sketchy places, and we've been robbed numerous times over the course of my life. She's never been robbed where she lives now, but I still don't hold much faith in local law-enforcement. I'd prefer taking a more proactive approach, trying to track down my machine specifically. Perhaps I could contact Sony?

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    my mother's HDTV
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I'm going to go back to her house and check once more, to make sure they are in fact missing, rather than just having been misplaced
    where would the tv have been misplaced to?

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Call her first, to make sure you aren't making a silly mistake.
    2) Call the police. They frown greatly on doing your own work, and you might actually make it worse. If you do find it, you might get hurt. Furthermore, if it ever comes to prosecution, you might cause a mistrial by interfering. Not only that, but sometimes police might be a bit lax in the job if you decide to take it upon yourself to be a 'hero'.

Mate, I dont really know what you want people to tell you...

You might not have faith in local law enforcement, but I hate to tell you this...these are the people that handle these kinds of things. Its their job..

I dont think you will get anyone to tell you to "take a more proactive approach"...I will decline to comment on what that could possibly mean or sound like to me

Here you go.

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-06-26 at 07:30 AM.

Deleted
    The only way of finding who did it is calling the police and having them look for prints/dna. Your ps3 is long gone, people who steal stuff don't hold onto it.

Have you ever heard of a breaking and entering where people leave everything pristine but choose 2 things to steal?

Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    Have you ever heard of a breaking and entering where people leave everything pristine but choose 2 things to steal?
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/bur...-portra,26861/

Thought this would be pretty relevant :P

I think most of the time thieves don't go ransacking your house. they just grab shit that's easy to see or look through drawers, they're not going to trash the place

anyways call the police if it is gone. but the police likely aren't going to make a super big deal out of it, they probably just pass on the serials if you have them to pawn shops and stuff like that. way easier to probably turn that stuff on craigslist nowadays anyways

Deleted
    How did they manage to break in if the house was still locked up when you checked? Sounds to me like your mother hid the TV and PS3 beforehand in case of break in, sensible woman.