Ragnaros Heroic, problems with 4th phase.

Hi, my guild is back after a month break and we're trying Ragnaros Heroic... damn, that fight is still unforgiving. Back on 4.2, we had it on phase 3 constantly, but couldn't push it to phase 4 with just one meteor. Now, we're always on P4, but i have some doubts about it:

1. Ice patch: What's safer? Trap the meteor with the first ice patch (after the second has spawned) or trap it with the second patch and wait for the third to start moving?
    2. Dreadflame: I'm not sure about who's the best soaker, because in all of our tries (being 8% the best) we have almost all the platform covered in flames, i'm thinking about using Stampeding Roar + Drums of Speed + Potion of movement (if possible) because honestly, i'm really worried about that, any tip here would greatly appreciated.

Our setup:
    Protection Warrior - Tank
    Feral Druid - Tank
    Holy Paladin - Healer
    Restoration Shaman - Healer
    Balance Druid - DPS
    Arcane Mage - DPS (Our currently soaker with improved blink talent)
    Shadow Priestx2 - DPS
    Multispecc Rogue - DPS (Engineering nitroboosts, can soak)
    Surv or MM Hunter - DPS (Engineering nitroboosts, gonna try tonight with him soaking)
    Arms Warrior - DPS
    Demo Warlocksx2 - DPS

Deleted
    1 : keep the meteor rolling until the second trap spawns. At which point you trap it in the closest trap and have the raid move if need be.
    Keeping the raid out of the trap for the whole minute (or so) until the 2nd trap spawns is ... suicide.

2: best soaker in my experience is hunter: Aspect of the cheeta is usable all the time once he has the water buff (flat +30% speed ALL THE TIME) + disengage on a 20s cd makes it the best option

Though to be honest, the most important part of it is how fast the player can see where the dreadflammes spawns so he can get to it asap.
    You can keep the whole room free of any dreadflames if your soaker has good vision and gets to them really fast.
    But even then, at worst you'll end up with the soaker runing circles around the boss/raid/trap and have a tank (or other player with taunt) suicide in the flammes at each empowered sulfuras/root
    Last edited by mmoc6378d51645; 2012-06-25 at 10:53 PM.

Class doesn't really matter for the soaker, it's more about how competent the player is, we had an amazing mage who made it look really easy.

Deleted
    Some classes have an edge over others due to movement abilities;
    Rogues(sprint + 15% movement speed if assassination, otherwise 8% if using the bootenchant),
    Hunters (aspect of the cheetah for 30% passive movement + disengage),
    Shamans (ghostwolf),
    Druids (stampeeding roar + cat>dash + possibility to spec into passive movement as cat if im not mistaken),
    Mages (blink + movement from speccing into imp blink)

Those 5 classes are generally a bit better at doing dreadflames than others, or have an easier time, but it comes down to the player being smart about what to put out first.
    Then depending on if ur horde or ally aswell:
    Goblins have rocket jump (might help a little), worgens have dark flight (OP nurf please).

And as ayashi said, a big part is how fast players can see it, so I suggest you try to avoid picking someone if they have a crappy PC and have graphics on the low-end, as they'll have trouble seeing the flames spawning far away from them.

Hunter, Rogue and Mage would all be good. There shouldn't be any Dreadflame around the room at the finish if you're pushing one meteor and aren't staying in P4 too long. A decent hunter will be able to do decent DPS while doing Dreadflame, but DPS isn't an issue in the fight anymore so it doesn't matter. Just pick the player that's most comfortable doing it, IMO.

What ? do people still got problems to kill RAG HC ?. I did it before all the nerfs, after the nerf he is faceroll

Infracted~
    Last edited by mmoc2e3dee3473; 2012-06-26 at 09:58 AM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    1. The meteor must go into the 2nd patch, you'd take way too high dmg from the debuff before the 2nd spawns I'd reckon. It's pretty easy to just have everyone inside the patch except for the knock back person who is running out or whatever. Let everyone try group up and knock the meteor during transition for an easy aoe healing time. (We usually had 2 healers, 1 tank, rest dps)

2. A hunter does fine, a mage did it for us, also they can squeeze in some extra dps at times but it shouldn't be needed at all, their focus is on getting to the flames to prevent them getting out of hand too early. Once the meteor is down and the tank knows how to swap with the 2nd tank or a taunting dps you'll have the fight in the bag

Deleted
    Dreadflame soaking just take practise, I've been doing it since our first kill as a mage imp. blink and glyph of blink to get as much out of it as possible. The only thing that I feel really helps at that point is having the raid call out when they see a dreadflame, cause ragnaros is massive and makes it really hard to spot the small effect if it's far away from you. And also it's not really a problem if you're in a fresh frost patch that the whole room is covered at 8% just make your soaker run in a circle just around you to keep it clear use your druids 2 stampeding roars to give him more speed boosts if needed and just zerg trough it, a tank might need to sacrifice himself to get rag into a trap and that's it.

If you get first 2 dreadflame spawns cleared fast, you're home safe and nothing can really wipe you unless you mess up tactics.

And yes, make sure your tanks are reacting fast if you get a trap spawn close to rag, most of the time if you're reacting to it fast you can move out of it, and even if not you can ping pong him with taunts to avoid a wipe.

Deleted
    1. Stack in 1st ice patch.
    2. Get fixate debuff -> run out of ice patch -> get someone inside the ice patch to knock it when it starts glowing.
    3. Repeat 2 till 2nd ice patch spawns
    4. Roll meteor into 1st ice patch unless the 2nd ice patch is placed right infront of the meteor.
    5. Once the meteor gets close to the 1st ice patch everyone moves out and kills the meteor and then proceeds to run to the 2nd ice patch.
    6. Assign one healer to follow tank if roots is far away
    7. Assign a Mage/Hunter/Rogue to carry the water shizzle and soak dreadflame.
    8. Collect loot

The reason you don't want to put the meteor in the second ice patch is because you risk having the 3rd ice patch spawn in some area engulfed in dreadflame at which point you're left without an active ice patch. If you roll it into the first one you'll always have 2 ice patches up, making the whole thing less RNG.

Oh and before someone goes on to say you should never have issues with dreadflame I'd like to remind you that for progression kills dreadflame can be a real issue as people need to do it a few times before they get good at it, just because you've done it flawless doesn't mean everyone else can.

For your comp assuming player skill is equal the hunter with nitro boots will be the best candidate for dreadflame sweeping. As other people have said, the first spawn is critical. After you get into the frost patch the dreadflame spawns about 6 seconds later. There is a visual where 2 flame looking things lob out from his body, usually in opposite directions, which determines where the dreadflame will spawn. This is followed almost immediately by the cloudburst spawn. At this point it is critical to click the cloudburst and get to the 2 dreadflame spots as quickly as possible. For learning purposes any movement speed increases/potion of speed/nitro boots will help immensely. If you can get to a dreadflame with only 1-3 patches down you can clear it quickly. If it is too big to clear then you will have to try and contain it as best as you can. It is also very important to watch for the new dreadflame spawns early on when the room is relatively clear. If they spawn in a new spot it is generally well worth it to mop it up while it is very small, then go back to containing the old ones. If they spawn right next to existing dreadflame or way off to the side you may choose to ignore it. Much of it at this point comes down to judgment - where the raid is, where the roots are, whether another breath of frost needs to be used etc. There is a also a fairly large rng factor as well because sometimes the cloudburst spawns close to a dreadflame patch other times they are seemingly as far apart as possible. Again for learning purposes it may be helpful to have people help call out where the dreadflame is, because between the whole room being orange and his huge model getting in the way it can sometimes be tough to spot the dreadflame. A 2 second delay can be the difference between being able to clear a patch completely or being forced to just try and contain it.

Deleted
    Class doesn't really matter for the soaker, it's more about how competent the player is, we had an amazing mage who made it look really easy.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hey! Tomorrow my guild will be raiding H firelands from about 10ish to 11 EST if you would like to watch how we do the H Ragnaros fight at <snip>
    Last edited by Azshira; 2012-07-11 at 09:08 AM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Add it to the streams section Uthadgar, I can't allow the stream to be posted outside the section

1. We go with whichever is more convenient at the time.
    2. Soaker choice isn't a big deal as long as they can get around. We find the key to good soaking is communication. The soaker can't see everything so it helps when the raid is calling out where they are seeing dreadflame spawn. If your dps is good then as long as you can take care of the first pair of spawns quickly then you should be alright for the rest of the fight.

Deleted
    What I usually do as dread soaker is to try and clear as much as possible, this is more or less only to keep the tanks safe for when they need to drag the boss to the roots because if you all, including the dread soaker, stand on top of each other in the frost patch no one will take damage.