Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I want to puke every time I see those numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    I've read some things about the few vets we have here in Sweden too about some injustice in the system but nothing on this scale.
    It used to be none existant tbh, for example the men that served in Congo(and that was without a doubt the fiercest operations swedish soldiers had been involved in for 100s of years) got absolutely zero support, it hasn't been that bad for soldiers in Afghanistan though, a few cases that could have been handled smarter. They've changed things to the better though, previously "veteran support" was only available for 5 years, now it's lifelong for example.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2012-06-27 at 11:56 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

When you call them veteran's benefits, it ceases to be politically expedient to cut them.

Deleted
    Military, Interest on Debt, Veterans Benefits, social security+unemplyoment = wasting money. Your country wastes 27+ 14.5+12.2+4.4= 59.1% of the budget is waste of money on useless stuff.
    Last edited by mmoc74dbc71507; 2012-06-27 at 01:36 PM.

You know...seeing how VA hospitals are run is the ONLY thing that makes me feel uneasy about government run healthcare.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Surgam View Post
    I had my knee cap blown off when in Afghanistan and I'm not entitled to benefits. Simply because I do not have enough Active Duty time to receive the treatment required for my injury, no granted they did give me a knee replacement surgery, but I still need rehab for it and I've received very little and I'm currently paying out of pocket to get my treatment.
    That's very sad to hear. Hope things work out fer ya mate.

---------- Post added 2012-06-28 at 03:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hatlatitla View Post
    Military, Interest on Debt, Veterans Benefits, social security+unemplyoment = wasting money. Your country wastes 27+ 14.5+12.2+4.4= 59.1% of the budget is waste of money on useless stuff.
    I would like to point out that this is not just true for the US ( I am not an American). Sadly this is true for most countries around the world. Imagine of science had military's share even for a period of 5 years...we'd have cured most diseases and moon would be a holiday destination.

Quote Originally Posted by igame View Post
    That's very sad to hear. Hope things work out fer ya mate.

---------- Post added 2012-06-28 at 03:48 AM ----------

I would like to point out that this is not just true for the US ( I am not an American). Sadly this is true for most countries around the world. Imagine of science had military's share even for a period of 5 years...we'd have cured most diseases and moon would be a holiday destination.
    Military projects are responsible for some of the greatest scientific advances in history.

Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    Military projects are responsible for some of the greatest scientific advances in history.
    Are you trying to imply that if we did not have the motive of military superiority and/or inventing better ways of killing people we would not advance?
    And still it does not surprise me. If science is only getting 1cent per dollar it can't really do as much as military with it's swollen coffers, can it?

Are you trying to imply that if we did not have the motive of military superiority and/or inventing better ways of killing people we would not advance?

Not as quickly, no.

Not as quickly, no.
    That was true for the world wars but since then, science has pretty much held it's own. We don't need wars to progress, just political will and a bit more funding. And case and point - name 5 great inventions/discoveries that can be attributed to the Afghanistan war or the Vietnam war.

That was true for the world wars but since then, science has pretty much held it's own. We don't need wars to progress, just political will and a bit more funding. And case and point - name 5 great inventions/discoveries that can be attributed to the Afghanistan war or the Vietnam war.
    I didn’t say war. I said military projects.

"DARPA has been responsible for funding the development of many technologies which have had a major effect on the world, including computer networking, as well as NLS, which was both the first hypertext system, and an important precursor to the contemporary ubiquitous graphical user interface."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA

I didn’t say war. I said military projects.

"DARPA has been responsible for funding the development of many technologies which have had a major effect on the world, including computer networking, as well as NLS, which was both the first hypertext system, and an important precursor to the contemporary ubiquitous graphical user interface."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARPA
    Oh, my bad. I misinterpreted, sorry.

But I still think the money going directly to scientific institues and Nasa etc would be much better.

Oh, my bad. I misinterpreted, sorry.

But I still think the money going directly to scientific institues and Nasa etc would be much better.
    Maybe, but no one is going to just give that kind of money to programs that don’t offer practical benefits.
    Why do you think we went to the moon? Scientific greatness? No, it was to beat the Russians. Wonder why we haven’t gone back in 40 years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure but if you lump together all the money put into it about what 1%(?) was put into researching something that could be applied to civilian use.
    It is true alot of inventions were military, radar, jet engine etc but well it is such a tiny fraction that I dont see it as an argument to justify the money spent on military science if one want to look at those spendings in such a manner.

Think it is fair to say that those inventions whould have come anyway, maybe later but anyway and at a far lower cost
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.