Thread: Tanking Madness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    As a bear tank, I use all Frienzied Regeneration, Barkskin and Survival Instincts to take impales. The rotation we use for tanking puts me (in order of impales to platform) 2-1-1-2, and on the 2nd platform I need a pain suppression, as I only have barkskin off cooldown at that point. Don't be afraid of using stamina trinkets if you need the extra health to survive the impales, dodge will not help you in any way on this fight, as both Impale and Tetanus are unavoidable, and the only two threats to a tank in this fight.

This is assuming you're in 25m and have access to raid cooldowns.

Also, Mirror's overrated, I never bought it at all in this expansion, and not once did I hinder my guild through deaths that wouldn't have happened had I had the trinket. All spell damage to tanks this expansion is highly predictable, and unlikely to kill a tank by itself. Your healers should really be watching timers and pre-casting heals better.

Also, Mirror's overrated, I never bought it at all in this expansion, and not once did I hinder my guild through deaths that wouldn't have happened had I had the trinket. All spell damage to tanks this expansion is highly predictable, and unlikely to kill a tank by itself. Your healers should really be watching timers and pre-casting heals better.
    How is it overrated? If you've never even used it how can you judge it? It's a fuckin amazing trinket in emergencies. It has saved me many of times where say a healer messes up, or you're getting a scrappy kill on a farmed boss and like 2 healers died or something. You can literally carry a group with this trinket. I have before, many damn times. And this isn't bads we're talking about.

Trinket is amazing for Blackhorn imo. You can soak 4 barrages by yourself as a prot warrior. Tell me that doesnt help the raid? Less deck fires. Now with the nerfs its not as essential, i grant you that. But it doesn't change the fact that when things were actually somewhat difficult, this shit saves lives and gets kills, just in a different way. As well, during 359 times, this was BiS. During 378 firelands, still BiS. Especially for Prot warriors. Only magic reduction we have is shield block (6sec after using - meaning it's not as controllable as you would always like), and if you count shield wall. Having this every minute as a prot warr this expansion has made magic damage a worry of the past. We don't have AMS or other random abilities that make us immune to damage. So yeah, calling it overrated is retarded.

Let's not forget its uses in PVP. You can use this as FC when you'r getting focused. It literally fucks up all magic burst for 10 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinktwice View Post
    How is it overrated? If you've never even used it how can you judge it? It's a fuckin amazing trinket in emergencies. It has saved me many of times where say a healer messes up, or you're getting a scrappy kill on a farmed boss and like 2 healers died or something. You can literally carry a group with this trinket. I have before, many damn times. And this isn't bads we're talking about.

Trinket is amazing for Blackhorn imo. You can soak 4 barrages by yourself as a prot warrior. Tell me that doesnt help the raid? Less deck fires. Now with the nerfs its not as essential, i grant you that. But it doesn't change the fact that when things were actually somewhat difficult, this shit saves lives and gets kills, just in a different way. As well, during 359 times, this was BiS. During 378 firelands, still BiS. Especially for Prot warriors. Only magic reduction we have is shield block (6sec after using - meaning it's not as controllable as you would always like), and if you count shield wall. Having this every minute as a prot warr this expansion has made magic damage a worry of the past. We don't have AMS or other random abilities that make us immune to damage. So yeah, calling it overrated is retarded.

Let's not forget its uses in PVP. You can use this as FC when you'r getting focused. It literally fucks up all magic burst for 10 sec.
    He's just trying to justify why he never ground out the tokens to buy the Mirror. Let it go. Of course Mirror is awesome. It's a 40% magic dmg reduction on a 60 second cooldown.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zuke8675309 View Post
    He's just trying to justify why he never ground out the tokens to buy the Mirror. Let it go. Of course Mirror is awesome. It's a 40% magic dmg reduction on a 60 second cooldown.
    lol no dude. He has another opinion than you, that doesn't mean he's lazy nor wrong. It really depends on what you're struggling with during progression. If it's tank death, then sure, go get that trinket. If it's dps, then a more dps oriented trinket is the better choice. Also, you forget that the tanking classes haven't got the same amount of magic reduction. Bears have the highest passive reduction, DK's can AMS and Warriors and Paladins comes out as the "weaker" tanking classes this Tier.

But using your logic, you should have benched your Warrior/Paladin tank and gotten a DK or Druid. Cause, why wouldn't you make progression as easy as possible?

Edit: Note that the OP is asking for guidance with 25% nerf. That's the whole point; you don't need that freaking trinket at this point - even with a Warrior or Paladin tank.

Have your holy paly use Hand of Sacrifice on you, or a disc priest pain suppression you, for every 1st impale on each platform. Those abilities will be up for every platforms 1st impale. One tank it, if you get a 2nd impale on a platform, use a hunter, rogue, or spriest to take the 2nd impale on the first three platforms. And for the 2nd impale on the last platform, we like to use a rogue, its the easiest cause they can take the impale and then cloak so they don't take damage from the bolt landing, cause the impale comes seconds before the bolt hits. =win.

GL.

Quote Originally Posted by Danishgirl View Post
    lol no dude. He has another opinion than you, that doesn't mean he's lazy nor wrong. It really depends on what you're struggling with during progression. If it's tank death, then sure, go get that trinket. If it's dps, then a more dps oriented trinket is the better choice. Also, you forget that the tanking classes haven't got the same amount of magic reduction. Bears have the highest passive reduction, DK's can AMS and Warriors and Paladins comes out as the "weaker" tanking classes this Tier.

But using your logic, you should have benched your Warrior/Paladin tank and gotten a DK or Druid. Cause, why wouldn't you make progression as easy as possible?
    That's the thing though, at the time when Mirror was of equal ilvl everyone's healers were struggling with mana and there are at least 4 encounters with AoE magic based auras and more with huge time magic burst, if you didn't have it in T11 you were lazy and wrong, that's just not debatable, Firelands was almost as bad.

I do get where you're coming from, it may not have always been a deciding factor in beating an encounter, but if a boss involved magic damage this expansion Mirror made learning the fight easier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imoh View Post
    That's the thing though, at the time when Mirror was of equal ilvl everyone's healers were struggling with mana and there are at least 4 encounters with AoE magic based auras and more with huge time magic burst, if you didn't have it in T11 you were lazy and wrong, that's just not debatable, Firelands was almost as bad.

I do get where you're coming from, it may not have always been a deciding factor in beating an encounter, but if a boss involved magic damage this expansion Mirror made learning the fight easier.
    And again, the OP is NOT talking about T11 when it was current. He's asking for tanking advice on Heroic Madness with 25% nerf. So stop all the talk about that trinket already, he doesn't need it now.

About that trinket in T11 context, our healers didn't have issues healing the stuff on heroic, even when the tanks didn't use it. So they may have been wrong in your opinion but we still cleared the stuff on heroic, before everything got nerfed to the ground. You're talking about making things easier, but if you aren't having issues, why the need to make thing easier? And what may be easier for you, isn't always easier for others.

Deleted
    And again, the OP is NOT talking about T11 when it was current. He's asking for tanking advice on Heroic Madness with 25% nerf. So stop all the talk about that trinket already, he doesn't need it now.

About that trinket in T11 context, our healers didn't have issues healing the stuff on heroic, even when the tanks didn't use it. So they may have been wrong in your opinion but we still cleared the stuff on heroic, before everything got nerfed to the ground. You're talking about making things easier, but if you aren't having issues, why the need to make thing easier? And what may be easier for you, isn't always easier for others.
    It is if reduces the incoming damage by a fuckton

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    It is if reduces the incoming damage by a fuckton

And again you miss the point; if my raid group hasn't got any issues, why use that trinket over a dps oriented trinket for example.

In any case, this is still off topic and I really don't get, why people keep talking about a T11 trinket, when someone asks for advice tanking Heroic Madness in T13 with 25% nerf. Get real already.....

10+ Year Old Account
    And again you miss the point; if my raid group hasn't got any issues, why use that trinket over a dps oriented trinket for example.

In any case, this is still off topic and I really don't get, why people keep talking about a T11 trinket, when someone asks for advice tanking Heroic Madness in T13 with 25% nerf. Get real already.....
    Are you reading the same thread that I am? Where did someone say it was required or a must have? All the first person to mention it said was that they found the trinket useful on this fight and you jumped all over them. Then someone else claimed that the trinket was garbage for the whole expansion, which others disputed as well since it was very good in prior content although that discussion is off-topic and not helpful to the main point of the thread.

As the OP was asking for advice as they start progression on this fight your raid group not having any issues is irrelevant to the advice being given to the OP. Does the OP need the T11 trinket? Probably not. He's a bear and they have good magic reduction as it is. But at the same time, its not a bad thing to be reminded that maybe he should throw the trinket in his bags if its not there in case they do run into specific problems on this fight that it can help with.

Deleted
    I did read it and the whole reason why I "jumped all over them", is because it's silly to even suggest that trinket. Also, I've been replying to people trying to argue about whether or not that trinket was a "must have" and yes, that was somewhat off topic. Then again, I've been quoting to reply.

And just as my raid group is irrelevant to the OP, so is that trinket in the current state of the Tier. But fair enough, I'll leave this thread and the silly trinket.

Edit:

Why wouldn't people want to go out of their way to make progression easier, and let's be serious here, there is absolutely no excuse not to have Mirror at this point in the expansion.

Mirror is a gem of a trinket, I personally used it for Yor, Zon and Hagara HM progression, it's my single favourite item of this expansion, if they weren't removing resists in MoP I would have probably found uses for it in 90 raids as well, it is just that good.

I guess that's one of the posts that kinda made it look like that trinket is a must have. When someone praising it like that in the context of something that has been nerfed with 25%, I'm not really sure how I should understand that.......
    Last edited by mmoc3a262a3a21; 2012-06-30 at 12:12 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    <snip>

Don't spam your stream.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 2012-07-11 at 03:49 PM.