Great MMO Article

A friend had linked me this article and upon reading it I couldn't agree more on most points made. In my opinion the thing that ruined WoW's community was in the introduction of Faction Changes, Sever Transfers to PvP servers, LFR, LFD, MMO-Champion, very complex addons/UIs, cross realm BGs, and the lack of group quests and extra curricular things in the game.

By extra curricular activities in the game I mean tomes in Dire Maul, class quests i.e. Benediction, Winterspring Frostsaber, Timbermaw Rep, Argent Dawn rep, farming certain mobs for certain mats or enchants, etc.. Most mats or enchants can be found off of any mob these days. Part of this is because when WoW came out Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdom were 2 huge continents rather than smaller continents that were just additions to the game.

Now I'm not saying all of those things were bad for the game as a whole, in fact I love it because it makes groups easier to find and enjoy the game as a single player. It may be nostalgia but WoW during Vanilla and BC was the most fun I've had in my life. I know there are still a lot of you that may form bonds with other players but it isn't as easy now as it was during Vanilla and BC. I met a group of about 10 friends during Vanilla that I still keep in touch with about every day and have even hung out with plenty of times in real life.

Another reason for the lack of community is how you can now run 10 or 25mans of a raid. Yes it is better now but again for the sense of community 40s, 20s, and 10s was a better concept. You knew who the best players on the server were, looking at their full tier 2 or 3 and saying "Man I hope one day I get that gear."

I do not want this mistaken as me ripping on World of Warcraft saying that these things ruined the game because they made the game better for the players, but by doing these things it just doesn't feel like a true MMO anymore. I love Warcraft and will continue to play until the last boss is dead.

I believe the opening of the AQ gates was the greatest thing to happen to a game. It brought literally everyone together to achieve a goal and gave a legendary unforgettable reward. I would love to see something like it happen again and could bring a bit of a spark back to WoW and bump up their subscribers. (Yes I know they have 10million and no it isn't dying but it would IMO bring back some players that have put the game down.)
    http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1225088p1.html
    Last edited by hawtlol; 2012-06-26 at 06:51 AM.

It gave legendary unforgettable reward to ONE asshole out of whole server. This is not how I want things to work in my mmo. I don't want to work to make someone else unique and awesome, I work to make MYSELF unique and awesome. Any game that is going to ever use AQ opening event-alike will not ever see my money.
    I'm highly against unique/very rare/unobtainable anymore rewards in an mmo, I'm highly against special snowflakes.
    Same goes to gear. I don't tend to stay in any game long if I know I'll have to work my ass off to get best gear possible. Nuh-uh, been there, done that. Whole TBC/WOTLK in fact I was working my ass off in server top guild for best gear. Enough. But I also can't stand NOT having the best gear possible. There gotta be some grind involved, yes, but nothing like current WoW. Have high arena rating for best pvp gear and have a guild/attendace/skill/knowledge to have top possible pve gear. No no no. Enough. Everyone's paying money for game, everyone deserves same.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos80 View Post
    It gave legendary unforgettable reward to ONE asshole out of whole server. This is not how I want things to work in my mmo. I don't want to work to make someone else unique and awesome, I work to make MYSELF unique and awesome. Any game that is going to ever use AQ opening event-alike will not ever see my money.
    I'm highly against unique/very rare/unobtainable anymore rewards in an mmo, I'm highly against special snowflakes.
    Same goes to gear. I don't tend to stay in any game long if I know I'll have to work my ass off to get best gear possible. Nuh-uh, been there, done that. Whole TBC/WOTLK in fact I was working my ass off in server top guild for best gear. Enough. But I also can't stand NOT having the best gear possible. There gotta be some grind involved, yes, but nothing like current WoW. Have high arena rating for best pvp gear and have a guild/attendace/skill/knowledge to have top possible pve gear. No no no. Enough. Everyone's paying money for game, everyone deserves same.
    Again I didn't say they should take those things out. But it is what made WoW unique and a great game, it built a sense of community and felt like a real virtual world rather than just some video game. One person? On many servers there were 3 to 6 or so people who got the Ahn'Qiraj mount because there was a commnity, people talked to each other and had agreed upon waiting for any of the people working their ass off and could obtain the mount, to obtain it.

Your mentality of making YOURSELF awesome is what I'm talking about. It's not so much an MMO anymore but a single player game getting help from some random people they have no emotional ties to so they just fuck them over by taking look they don't even need anymore and so forth. The MMO world has become too self centered. Yes everyone does pay for the game and should have the same chance as everyone else at getting an item but it also takes away from the immersion factor in the game. It makes it better in once sense but ruins it in another.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos80 View Post
    Actually it should be everybody is playing the game, so everyone should have an opportunity to get the same. They should not hand out easy gear to everyone that is the best gear, sure good (but not the best gear) should be easily available through dungeons, but you should still have to be good at the game to get the best things in the game. And some things should be removed when they no longer require the same the skill level to achieve (like undying or immortal titles).

I do agree there shouldn't be an AQ mount only one person can get, everyone should be able to get something but must be willing to work to get it.