Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Razer Naga or Naga Hex?

Hey, I really need a new mouse (Current: http://www.ciao.co.u..._Mouse__6269708 ) for GW2, I figured I would buy the Naga for the side buttons, but on their site, I discovered the Naga Hex. I am unsure which to get. My main concern is if 6 buttons will be enough. Can anyone help me decide? As some background info
    Thanks!

http://store.razerzo...goryID.35208800

Also, if any of you have mice that you can recommend, please feel free to do so!

10+ Year Old Account
    i have both and i like the hex more just for simplicity sake.

if i had to get a mouse right now just from looks it would be the cyborg mmo mouse, but it is pricey

I love the Razer Naga. The only problem I have found using the number pad on the side was the back row buttons. My fingers and thumb are pretty long, so my thumb kind of gets cramped when I try and reach the back row on the number pad over a extended period of time.

They're the same price, so I recommend the Naga unless you have large fingers, or just have general issues with pressing buttons with your thumb.

The Hex has 6 buttons. Ingame, you have a maximum of 15 abilities* at any given time, and a minimum of 11. So even with the Hex, you'd still have to bind 1-5 on your keyboard.

*counting dodge

Deleted
    I have Naga, but had the chance to try out Hex and I must say it's a little bit more ergonomic. If Anet finally introduces key modifiers, Hex may be the better choice.

I love my Naga. I had to train myself to hold the mouse differently, though, to reach all of the buttons easily. It has also recently developed a tendency to double click when I left click. Does anyone know a remedy for that?

Get the normal naga, you'll bottleneck without the 12 buttons unless you're playing LoL.

I have the Naga, thinking about getting the hex.

If you claw grip your mouse, give it a pass. The amount of pressure it takes to press a side button with your thumb makes the whole mouse move. The mouse is actually a little small (especially compared to the wow mouse), which makes it hard to palm if you have hands that are at all above average in size. I had to do a lot of retraining so I didn't move the mouse on screen by pressing a side button. Supposedly the side buttons on the hex are a lot easier to actuate.

Also, both the left and right click on my mouse are failing. I have a hard time holding down the button, and the constantly double and triple click. I've only had the mouse for a year. So do hold onto your warranty information.

And for using the hex with GW2, I'd recommend buying the Nostromo n52. With 14 keys perfectly at my fingertips, I can map my 1-6 onto the hex (the most used abilities) and the rest onto the n52, remapping wasd to the dpad.

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 05:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gisei View Post
    I love my Naga. I had to train myself to hold the mouse differently, though, to reach all of the buttons easily. It has also recently developed a tendency to double click when I left click. Does anyone know a remedy for that?
    Same thing my mouse did. It soon affected left and right click, and now the two buttons are almost unusable. You can take the mouse apart and add a layer or two of tape between the button on the circuit board and the button you press- that makes it last an extra month or so. But if your warranty is up- past that the mouse is practically trash. I've remapped the side buttons to left and right click, but that got annoying real fast.

I use both for different purposes. (got a hex for a bday pressie froma friend).

Im so used to playing wow with the normal naga that it feels wrong moving to the hex, but GW2 and D3 i use the Hex and binds.

The major difference imo is the normal naga does not have mechanical buttons under those pads. Its just a shitty membrane pad like under cheap keyboards. Also not everyone will use all 12 buttons on the side. Its impractical to bind 12 abilities to your thumb. Youd either have to have a very throughout out logical set up that wouldnt require any of those binds to be pressed at the same time, or youre just kidding youself that youd use all 12. I use 6 those buttons, but its the positioning i like.

The Hex has mechanical switches. Exactly like your left and right click. So they click a lot smother, theres feedback and spacing is quite good. They are houwever sensitive,. So i find myself acidentally pressing them sometimes.

both good mice.

last note my fiance developed RSI from using the whole 12 button pad on her naga. She bound almost everything she needed to on that mouse it was rediculous. Repeated sessions of 5 plush hours a day of your thumb oving around like crazy was not good.

She moved to a cyborg Rat to be able to make the fit ergonomic, which solved any further damage.

If you do chos ethe naga, get the one with the adjustable sides so that you can play with the fit. It is a small mouse and it can result in you changing the way you grip your mouse to reach the buttons. Ie if your a palm grip, youll have trouble hitting the back 2 rows, if you are a claw grip youll have issue controlling you mouse movement if you have to huit the front rows and move teh mosue at the same time. All in all once you get used to it, its a geat product. Just some things to keep in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syrele View Post
    Hey, I really need a new mouse (Current: http://www.ciao.co.u..._Mouse__6269708 ) for GW2, I figured I would buy the Naga for the side buttons, but on their site, I discovered the Naga Hex. I am unsure which to get. My main concern is if 6 buttons will be enough. Can anyone help me decide? As some background info
    Thanks!

http://store.razerzo...goryID.35208800

Also, if any of you have mice that you can recommend, please feel free to do so!
    I Have the normal Naga the blue one that cant change color if i could go back id get the epic, The other one the hex is only really for games like league of legends and diablo or HoN. But would be fine for guildwars2. if you rebind all the keys to 6 7 8 9 0.

Myself i bought a Naga and The Keyboard Ananzi for starwars not the star wars edition just plain ones but they are nice for any game i play.
    For guildwars 2 the naga has 2 useless buttons 11 and 12 which i bound to Roll and dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gisei View Post
    Not one your going to like. I have not had that issue with my naga yet but my old logitec G7 started doing that when the clickers were begining to wear out. Started with RMB for me cause I'd have it to mouseturn all the time but both started doing it and shortly there after the RMB died compleatly forceing me to shell out for the naga.

Back on topic I personaly swear by my naga now although ti took a bit to get used to it. That said its designed for a palm grip, if you claw grip you wont have anything resembeling mouse cursor accuracy when your trying to press a thumb button.

@librim, try hiting the last row of buttons with the inside of the thumbs knuckle. While I can sort of reach them with the tip if I stretch or rotate my grip a bit I found its easier to hit those las 3 by just rocking my thumb backwards. Just make sure you dont bind something there you'll need to use right after 7-9 button abilities.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hitchhiker's thumb + side mouse buttons = fail

10+ Year Old Account
    What's the diff between palm and claw grip? Like i hold the mouse in my hand does that make me a palmer (O.o LOL Dirty Mind) or clawer? I didnt know there where two types

10+ Year Old Account

I own razer naga and I love it but I personally think the 12 buttons are a tad bit overkill especially since I can't easily reach 10,11,12 and tend to only use 1-6.

I've been eyeing off the razer hex for a while now and really want one... but i'm not entirely convinced I want it for functionality or just because it's pretty and green (green is my fav color). I'm very used to my naga and I don't know if i'd find the layout of the buttons on the hex off-putting.... guess I would have to try it out first

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Deleted
    I love the Naga. Took about a week to get used to it, but now I can comfortably use the 1-9 side buttons, and with a bit of effort the 10-12 buttons as well.

Also, don't forget the easily accessible M4 and M5 buttons, located on the edge of the LMB.

Get the normal wired Naga. The wireless one and the hex both have button 4 and 5 right behind the mouse wheel which drives me crazy. I use this mouse for other games as well and can't think of why they changed the layout of those buttons.

My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by highlandr View Post
    Get the normal wired Naga. The wireless one and the hex both have button 4 and 5 right behind the mouse wheel which drives me crazy. I use this mouse for other games as well and can't think of why they changed the layout of those buttons.

My 2 cents
    The 2012 edition naga,which replaces the normal naga, also has 4 and 5 behind the mouse wheel. The magma special edition, or whatever it's called, has them on the side, towards the front of the mouse.

I only have the Naga so I can't say anything about the Hex, But I recommend the Razer naga to anyone. I've had it for about 2 years now and it is amazing.

Deleted
    The only negative thing I have to say about the Naga, by the way, is that the left mouse button semi-breaks after about a year (depending on how much you use it). It's known as the "double click bug", where a single click sometimes (increasing in frequency as time goes on) is registered as a double click.

Fortunately this is covered by warranty, and if the warranty has expired it can easily be fixed with contact fluid (there's numerous good Youtube videos on how to do this).