Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    I agree. I've been leveling characters a lot lately, and when a rare weapon drops (of a usuable variety anyways), there's no doubt that it'll be decent. Of course a socket is incredible on a low-level weapon, so you could even automatically junk any socketless weapon, but it seems half of them in normal have sockets. Armor is somewhat the same (there are some that are more op than others, with really high primary stat rolls, and occasionally stuff that's complete junk, with like +xp, thorns, healing from globes, and pickup radius), but a large fraction of it is usable if not awesome.

The fact that a weapon has to roll a large + damage modifier (or two), even to be given a second look means most of them are straight on the junk heap. The base damage range is completely unusable, even if it has a small damage modifier and primary stat and crit damage and a socket, it's complete crap. And with most armor, if it doesn't roll resist, primary stat, and vit, it's probably crap... and even then, something like gloves without all the good modifiers gloves can get will be pretty bad. Playing my Monk, I have to hope a pair of gloves rolls: Dex, Dex+Vit, Resist All, Fire Resist, Crit%, and Attack Speed to maybe be an upgrade. Switch *one* of those with crit damage or armor, maybe...

Perfect rares should be extremely rare, sure. But usable rares shouldn't be so rare. I know, I used the AH to get my characters way ahead on the gear curve (nowhere near amazing, just playable), and someday I'll make one and just use what drops for me and find out how long it takes to get a set capable of farming act1.

theres just waaaaaaaay tooooooooooo manny stats in this game i counted 23 affixes on legs piece only now multiply that with the amount of leg armor there are ingame and stat points witch are aviable
    the ultimate answer's to all rogue issues :

-Rogues might still be dealing with the changes to combo points {2014}

DPS is overrated look at other stats to make the game easier, not more nukable
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    What you guys need is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEyiezB8Mpw

link to DPS-calculator included

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler
    Exactly this. Some stats should be fixed, like legendaries and set items. Though the numbers can be random.

This is how it was in Diablo 2, and it worked. As it is in Diablo 3 is just crap.
    Have to agree with this. The legendaries are crap as is and having half a bunch of random stats makes them even worse. The chance of actually getting a good one is very very small.

Also I think the rares in D3 are quite similar to D2. Both are very random. However the problem with D3 compared to D2, in D2 you relied on set items, runewords and uniques to gear up so it didn't matter that rares were sometimes horrible. Sure it could be a pain to get the perfect +Class Skill ammy with perfect stats but that was only a couple of item slots at best, the rest you were wearing Runewords, Uniques, or Set items.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I have those other stats on my other armor, on a weapon, I want DPS as it is the most reliable and best way to raise my damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nheo View Post
    What you guys need is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEyiezB8Mpw

link to DPS-calculator included
    Cool but I can't get the link for the calculator to work =/ Do you know if it was moved to another location?

What bothers me most is getting sub level 60 items in Inferno. You need to be level 60 to get in so why would it drop level 50 items. That makes no sense to me. Everything should be 60 but the stats should make them weaker.

Also, random stats are just garbage, certain things should not be allowed. For example, I got a level 40 legendary sword yesterday. What was on it? Increased hatred regen. Are you freaking kidding me? No DH uses a damn sword. They should have at least made certain attributes not allowable on certain items. It just makes them look lazy as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    What bothers me most is getting sub level 60 items in Inferno. You need to be level 60 to get in so why would it drop level 50 items. That makes no sense to me. Everything should be 60 but the stats should make them weaker.

Also, random stats are just garbage, certain things should not be allowed. For example, I got a level 40 legendary sword yesterday. What was on it? Increased hatred regen. Are you freaking kidding me? No DH uses a damn sword. They should have at least made certain attributes not allowable on certain items. It just makes them look lazy as hell.
    This was the same in Diablo 2 and has nothing really to do with laziness. Just a design choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has nothing to do with laziness, it's just really the charm of allowing all stats on weapons be completely RNG :P

Whilst it does provide a huge variety of weapons and armor choices only a small combo of those are actually desireable. I think it's an interesting design, rather than having all weapons of X type only have a b and c type stats. At the same time I do think they may have taken it one step too far and could adjust it a little.

In fairness I think it will just talke a couple months for the game to strike the perfect balance and then things should calm down a bit.

The thing that kind of does bother me though is that for example as a DH I'm pretty much limited to 2 weapon types: 2h Xbow and bow. 1h xbow isn't really viable. That by itself limits the amount of weapons I can choose from which only further diminishes the chance of me getting a good weapon + Increases the AH prices on those two because people know they are in high demand. As oppose to say a Wizard who can use practicaly any weapon. Makes it so much easier for them to get something with high DPS and + int, especially since very often when people see a 2h sword with good DPS but see int on it think it's useless... they forget wizards can use those and sell them for quite cheap. Oh well...
    Last edited by Daerth; 2012-06-26 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerth View Post
    Yes, I was refering to a 2h Xbow rather than 1h. 1h weapons are another story. My apologies, being a DH I'm just in a 2h weapons mindset most of the time.

Talking about 1h weapons oh yes, that's true. The highest DPS I got on a 1h was like 700-800 with some stats. Even that is very rare for me... Most end up ~150 damage lol

I suppose the above clears up the confusion as 2h weapons DPS is a bit different.
    No it doesn't your crossbow does not have 1.1k dps or anything more than 514 base dps. It's the enchantments that take it beyond that.

As for the people complaining about the affixes, I'm sorry but nostalgia has gotten the better of all of you. Go kill hell baal, nithalak or diablo. Look at your ilvl 95-99 items having + 4 strength on it or even worse the base item type is long bow instead of a hydra bow.

People have geared up significantly faster in d3 than in d2. In addition to that the best bow pre 1.10 was a Cruel Matriarchal bow of Evisceration the best armor was an dusk shroud-archon plate with 4 open sockets and 100 life. Best Javelins, cruel mat javs of quickness, axes? cruel zerker of quickness all of those are blue. Besides Rares > blues in d3.

But let's talk more about these blues, the cruel mod in d2 was from 200-300% dmg, evisceration was 41-63. Not to mention there were more affixes in d2(mostly undesirable). Now let's say your got lucky and you rolled cruel of evis, It could be 200% with 41 dmg and worth nothing or it could be 220 and 63 and still worth nothing.

Not only were the desirable affixes rare but the ranges were MUCH larger than in d3. Making it much more likely to get a perfect item in d3 than in d2.

So some of you are confusing your lack of knowledge of the best items not being blue to something else entirely. Crafted were also the best items in d2 but that's not the case in d3. I will say uniques were useful but they weren't the best, however they held you over just fine. In fact stats from gear meant a lot less in d2 than d3.

Basically, you're all forgetting how bad item drops were in d2. You could get a ton of low level items or high level items with low level affixes in d2. In d3 they actually prevent that to a certain degree. For example, in act 3 inferno you will not get an item lower than ilvl 50-51. with a char level below 50 unless it rolls - level req. You also aren't very likely to get an ilvl 63 item with 1-3 poison damage.
    Last edited by Riptide; 2012-06-26 at 05:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Everyone knows that dps is not the only thing that matters, but picking up a 300 dps weapon with vitality and 800 life on hit will not make the game easier. The variation that comes from the number of damage modifiers is too extreme, in my opinion. And I'm not exaggerating about 300 DPS. Here's a nice level 63 endgame weapon, I suppose?

I tried crafting a weapon ... threw 5 millions out of the window and never got anything that was worth more than salvage mat price. I am not even sure there is a possibility to get a good weapon with 4 property weapon crafting. Maybe like .1% or something. Get 6 property recipe for tens of millions or don't bother crafting in this game.

tl;dr I like the game, but gear&crafting is no fun in D3. Weapons are no exception.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Well, it's exactly like items in D2.
    The only difference that in D3, to produce a really nice DPS, a weapon has to have both +XXX damage affix and a +YY% damage affix, which may indeed be a lil' bit too much.
    Same thing really, except in d2 both modifiers needed to produce a good weapon were prefixes - meaning all blue weapons sucked.

Well, the physical damage dealing weapons at any rate. A blue +2 all wand with +3 to good skills was tits $$ I'm talking classic, of course - LOD was garbage. I gave it several attempts but classic is what always kept calling me back.

@ the OP: the fact that good rares are rare is what drives the economy. If every weapon you got was 1500 damage no one would need to buy anything and it would become a boring single-player game. Have faith and be patient. Make sure you know how to recognize a good rare so you don't vendor one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Well, it's exactly like items in D2.
    The only difference that in D3, to produce a really nice DPS, a weapon has to have both +XXX damage affix and a +YY% damage affix, which may indeed be a lil' bit too much.
    Uh no, its not exactly like items in D2.....

You should probably play D2 before making inaccurate statements

Anyone who has invested any real time in D2 i.e. 85+ level characters knows the difference, thanks.

I feel that some items are end up with garbage stats, class related items are the biggest culprit! I feel a Wizard hat should not be strength heavy. Just kinda irks me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post

Anyone who has invested any real time in D2 i.e. 85+ level characters knows the difference, thanks.
    Then you also know that Hell Baal could drop a level 6 Sigon's set item right? So yes it is quite similar. You also realize right that Hell Baal could drop a very high ilevel item with almost no DPS because it was a normal item, and not an elite item, ie a Long Bow instead of Hydra Bow. So yea it is quite the same. And I have several 99s in Diablo 2 seeing as that seems to be a requirement to talk about this in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post

I played HC D2 for 4 years, full time, ladder ranked and stuff. Any other questions?

And yes, D2 items were loaded with crappy affixes that had only limited utility. And finding a good %ED rare was just about as hard. The only difference is that rares could be upped and that you had uniques and runewords which came guaranteed with silly %EDs. That's about it.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

I don't mind the vast expance of item affix values, I just dont like how abysmally common the low values are due to the AH. It's gotta be many x's lower than in d2.