Poll: what method you prefer to buy your video games?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Physical copy 'cause you get a nifty box & manual. MMMmmm that sweet smell!!! :P Also I'm more of an Xbox360 gamer so I prefer the "put the disk in and play" approach rather than waiting x minutes/hours until a game downloads and installs.

Physical because I hate downloading anything. I have unlimited bandwidth and have a steady 1-1.5mb's download speed but I still can't stand downloading things.

The only benefit to me from having a digital copy is not having to deal with the massive amounts of noise a DVD drive puts out and not having to worry about disks getting broken.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me digital copies are the anti-Christ and I would sooner burn myself alive while tossing myself into a black hole before I would choose a digital copy of a game over a physical copy of a game. I am fine with games coming out in both physical and digital releases however when games come out just as digital its pretty much the worst thing ever to happen ever anywhere and forces me to commit homicide.

Physical Copies. I have very limited internet so if I have to download a game I won't buy it. Espically if it's massive. I also like the backup of having a disc incase something goes wrong like a HDD crash

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

Physical, I will buy digital if it is cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    To me digital copies are the anti-Christ and I would sooner burn myself alive while tossing myself into a black hole before I would choose a digital copy of a game over a physical copy of a game. I am fine with games coming out in both physical and digital releases however when games come out just as digital its pretty much the worst thing ever to happen ever anywhere and forces me to commit homicide.
    Why is that? Haha. Just curious.

Physical. Things can wrong very easily, and with the soft data caps that ISP's are starting to employ, you just don't always have the luxury of downloading a game again if you need to reinstall. For example, with SWToR I had multiple issues with patching that would corrupt files, and result in having to download nearly the whole game over again, and that's with hoping that it doesn't have another problem and decide to download things over again. It's just easier, and faster to have the physical disc there in case a reinstall is necessary.

I always buy physical copies even though I usually install the product via a download.

If I can get a physical copy but activate it online, like with Steam, I usually do that. Otherwise I buy digital - it's just so much easier and cheaper.

Blizzard games, though, I always buy physical. I love hearing everything shake around inside the box ^_^

I enjoy having a physical copy, just in case of a PC crash or something icky like that. You have a nice place to start installing from again, rather than a lengthy full download.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Why is that? Haha. Just curious.
    I don't trust the very idea of digital only games in the slightest bit for many reasons, but the above all supreme ultimate worse then Hitler reason that I hate them is the fact that their very existence and life span is completely based on how much money they are able to generate, how long they stay "relevant" and also on the continued existence of the company hosting the game. Basically the way that I see it is that digital copies provide to much control on the distributors side.

As much as I hate DLC, DRM and other modern trends that make me vomit with the force of a rocket sled, to me download only games are the worst of any evil in games today(not saying they haven't existed in a few instances in the past). Their very nature goes entirely against how I feel about games and every time I hear that a game I am looking forward to is being released as a download only I literally writhe in pain and fury. I am fine with both being options for consumers, however not providing also a physical version or at least have future plans to release a physical version makes me provoke the forces of Hell to extinguish all sentient life.

I would pay upwards to 5 times as much (if not more) for a game if it came out on a physical format. My hatred literally knows no bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitare-sp View Post
    I still do prefer Physical copies to be honest. I like having the disk and back-up there if needed.
    I used to prefer physical copies, but now since everything seems to require an internet connection anyway, there's no reason for them to exist anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    I would pay upwards to 5 times as much (if not more) for a game if it came out on a physical format. My hatred literally knows no bounds.
    I completely understand and can associate with this (*looks at his massive collection of old PC and console games*). However, when the games coming out now are tied to a server like battle.net, Origin, etc, and rely on the service in order to function at all, then there is no reason at all for a physical copy to exist. Diablo 3 and WoW look nice on your shelf, but all they are doing now is collecting dust since there's really no reason to even open the box anymore.
    Last edited by Barracks00; 2012-06-27 at 07:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beigemore View Post
    I used to prefer physical copies, but now since everything seems to require an internet connection anyway, there's no reason for them to exist anymore.
    There is if you take into the consideration that future patches(official or not) could remove many DRM restrictions on certain games. As much as I despise DRM I still buy physical versions of them because of that fact.

Deleted
    Digital. I enjoy having them all in one place, not cluttering up my room/work space.

Deleted
    Prefer digital all the way. I don't like clutter in my room so have to throw the box away anyway and find room for the DVDs. With digital, I can always download it whenever I wish and don't have any junk I dont want in my room.

Deleted
    out of games, films, music and books i only prefer to have physical copies of books.

Definitely physical.
    I like having the actual CD's.
    I also don't want to place all my money on digital copies via an account that can be wiped clean by malicious (or non-malicious) events.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Physical if I can get it. But there's a price threshold where I'll buy a digital copy if it's cheap enough (around $10-15). The only exception so far has been Skyrim on Steam at full retail, and as far as that game goes there's enough value added in the Steam Workshop to offset the lack of a box, disc, manuals, etc.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".