Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I love my mushkin 128GB. Only other SSD i would consider would be samsung.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah people talking crap about the vertex 4 that probably never even has seen one in person. I have posted in other threads about using close to 20 vertex 4's in builds for clients/family/friends none of them have failed. I haven't looked in about a month but is there a faster SSD out there atm I know it's been the fastest one for a bit it's for sure faster then the Crucial M4 in real world testing don't know about the Samsung 830 in real world I might buy one for my next build to check it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a Cruicial M4, no problems with it.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegler View Post
    I have a Cruicial M4, no problems with it.
    My wife has one as well and it hasn't failed yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Ah people talking crap about the vertex 4 that probably never even has seen one in person.
    It has more to do with the fact that OCZ had a rash of bad drives, so there's a stigma of potentially screwing it up again. It's easier for people to recommend equally good drives from another brand that hasn't had massive problems.

It's like a criminal record. It may not affect things NOW, but at one point it did, and it's something to keep in mind, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It has more to do with the fact that OCZ had a rash of bad drives, so there's a stigma of potentially screwing it up again. It's easier for people to recommend equally good drives from another brand that hasn't had massive problems.

It's like a criminal record. It may not affect things NOW, but at one point it did, and it's something to keep in mind, perhaps.
    Exactly, it's not just a rash of bad drives, but bad company policies over all that extend beyond just the SSDs. I personally avoid OCZ for everything as I've had a number of different products across multiple areas (PSUs, RAM, other periphrials) that either went bad quickly, were DOA, or OCZ's customer service just stunk. Whether they've cleaned up their act or not, I personally will not use them no matter how good their product is because of their past transgressions.

Deleted
    vertex 4 combined with a 670 solid 2 fan cooled gpu aftermarket lay-out.
    hating ocz has become something similar to apple hating around here or what? (bring statistics instead of claiming high failure on even the 4's series)
    also at the criminal record thing, that's a longshot. (pretty sure most people who claim ocz is bad didn't even have a drive from the bad series either nor experienced the good replacement service they did provide)

gpu personal favorite : http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-z...es-1344-dp-dvi
    and you can order the vertex 4 from the same site staying just within budget. (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/256gb...10mb-s-120k-io)

usually more convinient to order things from the same place if pricing isn't too different.
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2013-01-13 at 06:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Add MSI reflex SSD to the list of decent ones, but really Samsung's are the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    hating ocz has become something similar to apple hating around here or what? (bring statistics instead of claiming high failure on even the 4's series)
    also at the criminal record thing, that's a longshot. (pretty sure most people who claim ocz is bad didn't even have a drive from the bad series either nor experienced the good replacement service they did provide)
    Actually the "criminal record" analogy was spot on. I could counter with pretty sure every person with an OCZ drive will claim they're good and defend them. You don't even own a Vertex4. It's been explained so many times why OCZ is catching heat and yes it takes a long time for a company to prove themselves after handling the whole "SandForce/firmware/crash/failure" situation so badly. No one needs a Vertex4 in their hands (as Skarsguard put it) to judge their past.

Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 is usually cheaper, they're proven to be very reliable and for most users those extra benchmark numbers that you get with the Vertex4 means nothing for everyday use. That's why I personally default to those drives in builds, I usually prioritize reliability and price/performance when "building" something for someone else. Sure it could just be anecdotal evidence but I have seen more "failure threads" (not just on this forum) about OCZ SSD, PSU and Razer products than anything else I can remember. Just another reason I tend to avoid recommending them.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-01-13 at 10:49 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Actually the "criminal record" analogy was spot on. I could counter with pretty sure every person with an OCZ drive will claim they're good and defend them. You don't even own a Vertex4. It's been explained so many times why OCZ is catching heat and yes it takes a long time for a company to prove themselves after handling the whole "SandForce/firmware/crash/failure" situation so badly. No one needs a Vertex4 in their hands (as Skarsguard put it) to judge their past.

Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 is usually cheaper, they're proven to be very reliable and for most users those extra benchmark numbers that you get with the Vertex4 means nothing for everyday use. That's why I personally default to those drives in builds, I usually prioritize reliability and price/performance when "building" something for someone else. Sure it could just be anecdotal evidence but I have seen more "failure threads" (not just on this forum) about OCZ SSD, PSU and Razer products than anything else I can remember. Just another reason I tend to avoid recommending them.
    by that logic nobody should be using a nvidia card either since the gtx 460-480Ti were portable room heaters with normal operation temps between 90-100 being normal.........
    to counter skarsguard, never judge a book by it's cover applies pretty good here.
    also speaking of anecdotal evidence i've seen lots of threads of people with issues regarding razer mice/headsets and ati cards.

ps: i might not have a vertex 4 but it's not like you know how many i've put in rigs for friends/relatives recently ..... (+- 15 and not a single issue)

by that logic nobody should be using a nvidia card either since the gtx 460-480Ti were portable room heaters with normal operation temps between 90-100 being normal.........
    to counter skarsguard, never judge a book by it's cover applies pretty good here.
    also speaking of anecdotal evidence i've seen lots of threads of people with issues regarding razer mice/headsets and ati cards.

ps: i might not have a vertex 4 but it's not like you know how many i've put in rigs for friends/relatives recently ..... (+- 15 and not a single issue)
    There is a huge difference between a GPU that gets hot while still working fully and a SSD that Bluescreens your windows all the time, sometimes even stop working completely.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    There is a huge difference between a GPU that gets hot while still working fully and a SSD that Bluescreens your windows all the time, sometimes even stop working completely.
    bad track record is bad track record , same with criminal record wether you got busted for a DUI third time or murder finding a job is impossible. (hence i find a criminal record to be hyperbolic/exaggerated to illustrate a company's product history)

bad track record is bad track record , same with criminal record wether you got busted for a DUI third time or murder finding a job is impossible. (hence i find a criminal record to be hyperbolic/exaggerated to illustrate a company's product history)
    I don't see how you can compare something that is working fine with something that breaks down.
    Nvidia is the king when it comes to making GPUs, and OCZ is a lower tier SSD maker which also sports the highest RMA rate in the industry.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/881-7/ssd.html

OCZ has almost a 5 time higher RMA rate than the other brands. Some of their drives that they are currently selling has a 40% return rate.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-01-14 at 08:11 AM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had to throw away my OCZ ram after 2 years, broken.

About the DCII, the fanspeed is low on stocksettings, that's why it runs a little hotter, i.e. still 20% @ 70deg. HOWEVER, I do notice a big jump in the temperature when you put it on full load. Indicating the thermal resistance is a little high, since the heat capacity of the heatsink is sufficient (quick RC time, for anyone familiar with 1st order systems). I think it has something to do with the DirectCU principle. The contact is much harder to even/flat out, and i think it has poor contact. I'm going to try and lap mine at some point probably.

Deleted
    OCZ do have a bad track record (n0C's link) it's not something we are making up and the way they handle all these issue in the past was their biggest downfall. Again give me one good reason I would recommend an OCZ SSD when I can recommend something that is proven to be very reliable, it's cheaper 90% of the time and performs just as well for the average user? I don't doubt your Vertex drive is good and has no issues or that you build several systems also with no issues, it's just that there are better options in my opinion considering the three things I mentioned.