The Next 10 Years of MMORPGS - PAX Panel

This is a really great panel where people from a lot of upcoming games discuss the future of the genre. I've been playing MMO's since EQ1 and for me the genre has grown incredibly stale. The biggest things they are trying to bring to the table are more meaningful player interactions, persistent change to the game environment, and dynamic AIs. Those are my 3 biggest beefs with the WoW model so this panel gave me a lot of hope for the "3rd Generation" of MMO games that are going to come to market in the next few years.

They touch on a lot of subjects like raids, economy, botting, F2P vs subs, etc. The short version is that everyone is now trying to make persistent, sand-box worlds with varying amounts of theme park vs player generated content. I thought, generally, Dave Georgeson (Everquest Next) and Ryan Dancey (Pathfinder: Online) had the best insight to the genre - they really understand what its going to take to push these games beyond World of Warcraft into the persistent, social experience a lot (most?) of us want. And, while I'm sure Wildstar is going to be a pretty good game, Stephan Frost (Wildstar) got blown out of the water by the other developers' vision for the future. One of them even said "Wildstar will be the last AAA Theme Park MMO".

Anyway, here's the panel, its sort of long but worth watching all the way through. The audience actually asked good questions for once -

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    This is a really great panel where people from a lot of upcoming games discuss the future of the genre. I've been playing MMO's since EQ1 and for me the genre has grown incredibly stale. The biggest things they are trying to bring to the table are more meaningful player interactions, persistent change to the game environment, and dynamic AIs. Those are my 3 biggest beefs with the WoW model so this panel gave me a lot of hope for the "3rd Generation" of MMO games that are going to come to market in the next few years.

They touch on a lot of subjects like raids, economy, botting, F2P vs subs, etc. The short version is that everyone is now trying to make persistent, sand-box worlds with varying amounts of theme park vs player generated content. I thought, generally, Dave Georgeson (Everquest Next) and Ryan Dancey (Pathfinder: Online) had the best insight to the genre - they really understand what its going to take to push these games beyond World of Warcraft into the persistent, social experience a lot (most?) of us want. And, while I'm sure Wildstar is going to be a pretty good game, Stephan Frost (Wildstar) got blown out of the water by the other developers' vision for the future. One of them even said "Wildstar will be the last AAA Theme Park MMO".

Anyway, here's the panel, its sort of long but worth watching all the way through. The audience actually asked good questions for once -

Glad to here that the traditional MMORPG is only going to bug us for another couple years before we get some actually decent games.

Herald of the Titans Simulacrum's Avatar
    It sure would be nice to have some sandbox MMOs around here that aren't EVE online, but to go from that to 'all future big-budget non-sandbox mmos are doomed' is quite the leap, and honestly makes it hard to swallow anything else that panel has to say if they don't immediately challenge that assertion - which presumably they do? There are millions paying for that experience right now, millions of whom would probably be happy to move on to the next iteration once the current generation eventually dies off. I know I would be happy to play such a game if it had well-made and engaging content of the type that I care about.

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a listen sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    It sure would be nice to have some sandbox MMOs around here that aren't EVE online, but to go from that to 'all future big-budget non-sandbox mmos are doomed' is quite the leap, and honestly makes it hard to swallow anything else that panel has to say if they don't immediately challenge that assertion - which presumably they do? There are millions paying for that experience right now, millions of whom would probably be happy to move on to the next iteration once the current generation eventually dies off. I know I would be happy to play such a game if it had well-made and engaging content of the type that I care about.

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a listen sometime soon.

they pretty much agree that themepark elements have a place in MMOs, but to really get people interested in these games anymore they have to offer something different from the instance model. they dont presume to say the "go do this activity" gameplay has no place, rather, that its place should be reduced and paired with something new to offer.

The future of MMOs is an expansion of the genre pairing. I don't think the theme-park RPG will die out anytime soon; there are still tens of millions of players spread across the four/five major games out there.

What's happening on consoles in the next few years is the most exciting for me personally; persistent world driving MMOs, survival-FPS MMOs, etc.

EQ:Next has the right idea going forward for RPGs with a sandbox element and the potential for player-created content to make it into the game. Wildstar doesn't have anything special enough to be anymore than just "another one on the pile". It's very much a re-skin of the current formulas, borrowing ideas from games already on the market but not having its own stand-out features.
    Steam: dartagnus or Valarius | GW2: Valarius.9437 | WoW: Valarius#2649
    Let's play!

They have had some good panels, but I didn't like this one too much. Dancey and the guy next to Frost, were good to listen to though.

I loved everything the sandbox/F2P/PvP designers were talking about...

except for how cost ineffective designing a raid is.

I want EVERYTHING that gen 3 is offering... plus ulduar caliber raiding.

(Also, it was a little cruel putting the wildstar guy up there. They made his perspective look really dated and poorly thought out.)
    Lv50 (FF14) Paladin (Swtor) Agent, Warrior, Knight, Inquisitor, Trooper, Consular, Smuggler, Hunter
    Lv60 (Firefall) Dragonfly, Mammoth, Nighthawk, Arsenal (NWO) Rogue, Fighter, Wizard, Guardian, Cleric (Rift) Rogue
    Lv80/85 (GW2) Thief (WoW) Rogue, Mage, Priest, Hunter, Warlock, Warrior, Death Knight, Paladin, Druid, Shaman