Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Airborne Insignia Belt Buckle

I am curious to know if it would be disrespectful to the 101st Airborne to wear the insignia as a belt buckle seeing as I have been eyeing up this belt buckle for a while now but I do not want to meet someone that might take offence to it because I have not served or have any links with the 101st?
    I'd just like an opinion on the idea as I in no way wish to cause disrespect.

I dont know about disrespectful but have you considered it being illegal? I know wearing fake marks of authority is illegal in my country - things like the stripes of policemen and whatnot.

Idk but I'm sure the Stolen Valor debate or w/e it's called will soon start.

Edit: Read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Would it be best to add a link to the store? As it has nothing with the 101st Airborne on it. It just has the Eagle and Airborne on it thats why I am concerned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMDuncan View Post
    I am curious to know if it would be disrespectful to the 101st Airborne to wear the insignia as a belt buckle seeing as I have been eyeing up this belt buckle for a while now but I do not want to meet someone that might take offence to it because I have not served or have any links with the 101st?
    I'd just like an opinion on the idea as I in no way wish to cause disrespect.
    Yeah I'd see it as disrespectful if I saw someone walking around in the stable belt of my Corps. Uniforms, ranks and Insignia are earned. If it's not an original / copy of original but an aftermarket different alternative I don't see a problem.

Would it be best to add a link to the store? As it has nothing with the 101st Airborne on it. It just has the Eagle and Airborne on it thats why I am concerned.
    Not an issue unless some idiot wants to make it one and even then it's unfounded. The only time it's an issue is when it's actual regalia form any of the branches and even then the courts have sided with free speech ( the Lie) over everything else, it seems.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

You don't wear rank, insignias or medals you didn't earn (Or were given to you by someone who did earn them). You just don't. It is like printing out a fake BA degree and hanging it from your wall.

On the other hand, you're talking about a belt buckle. Which is comparable to simply having a Mel Gibson poster in your wall. Military paraphernalia isn't exclusive to veterans/soldiers.

Deleted
    Thanks for clearing it up guys!

Deleted
    A belt is usually only for veterans of a unit, I would be pretty pissed if somebody wore the belt of my unit.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    IMO, if you haven't earned it, you shouldn't wear it.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    I really don't think "belt buckles" are earned, so I don't really see the problem with it. As long as you aren't trying to pass yourself off as being in the 101st. It's not a real part of the uniform.

Wearing a Batman belt buckle doesn't mean you are Batman.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    I really don't think "belt buckles" are earned, so I don't really see the problem with it. As long as you aren't trying to pass yourself off as being in the 101st. It's not a real part of the uniform.

Wearing a Batman belt buckle doesn't mean you are Batman.
    They are not earned really, but will piss off legit members of that unit. Just like you do not need to earn that parachute wings tattoo, try justifying to those angry para's.

Also, Batman is fictional, if he was real I bet you every penny I have he will not want you wearing his kit.

Deleted
    Here is a link to the said belt buckle and you can see why I would be concerned due to it being very similar if not the same as the airborne insignia.

I also completely understand the concept of not being apart of the unit/not earning it, the reason I asked the question was for other peoples opinions on the matter.

http://www.candyfusion.com/airbourne...le-p-2821.html

Deleted
    Here is a link to the said belt buckle and you can see why I would be concerned due to it being very similar if not the same as the airborne insignia.

I also completely understand the concept of not being apart of the unit/not earning it, the reason I asked the question was for other peoples opinions on the matter.

http://www.candyfusion.com/airbourne...le-p-2821.html
    It is blindingly obvious which unit that represents, I am not in the US forces and recognised it instantly. You really do not want to wear that around veterans.

At least the colour scheme is abit different...

On Topic: No, don't buy it/wear it.

I wouldn't like it either if someone wore a Presidential Guard shirt without having served there

LOL, fuck the snowflakes and wear it. But i personally would rather wear something of which you can be proud of.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    LOL, fuck the snowflakes and wear it. But i personally would rather wear something of which you can be proud of.
    Those snowflakes you are talking about will be the veterans that will get angry by it. It's like a red rag to a bull, seriously. You do not understand just how enraged people get by wearing medals or insignia they are not entitled to. Do you really want a veteran suffering from PTSD raging at you?

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Fuck the snowflakes? Really? You want to wear something someone else wears without having gone through the same treatment? The whole damn reason anyone would get angry is "Hey, YOU didn't go through the training, YOU didn't go through the hardship, YOU didn't develop the bonds with your fellow soldiers, YOU didn't get shouted at by your drill instructors, why should YOU wear it?" Who knows how many parachute falls (which are quite demanding, physically) these guys have gone through, and you wanna wear their emblem just like that?

Earn it..then wear it..

Once upon a time I would have said no under the premise that it's just a unit insignia and perhaps his father was in the 101, but a few weeks ago I was at the gas stationed and saw someone with a CIB shirt and I asked him what unit he had served with and he said "Oh none, I just liked how it looked." He wasn't trying to pass himself off as having earned the award, at least not blatantly, but it still really annoyed me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Once upon a time I would have said no under the premise that it's just a unit insignia and perhaps his father was in the 101, but a few weeks ago I was at the gas stationed and saw someone with a CIB shirt and I asked him what unit he had served with and he said "Oh none, I just liked how it looked." He wasn't trying to pass himself off as having earned the award, at least not blatantly, but it still really annoyed me.
    Even if your father was in the unit you should not wear it. Nobody should take credit for the actions of another.