Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Even if your father was in the unit you should not wear it. Nobody should take credit for the actions of another.
    Again, I don't see a _Belt Buckle_ as taking credit for the actions of another, nor is it a part of the uniform.

Now I personally wouldn't wear it, because even if I really really liked the Army and that division for some reason, wearing a belt buckle just wouldn't be my thing. It's like if I really really liked Harley Davidson, but didn't own one, and then me wearing a Harley Davidson belt buckle. It's not "wrong," it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Now if he were in a military uniform with an Airborne patch on it (with no personal affiliation to the unit), then I'd have a problem with it. But wearing an Airborne belt buckle, or an ARMY tee-shirt, or an FBI hat... it's not my style but I try not to judge other people's style either.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    Again, I don't see a _Belt Buckle_ as taking credit for the actions of another, nor is it a part of the uniform.

Now I personally wouldn't wear it, because even if I really really liked the Army and that division for some reason, wearing a belt buckle just wouldn't be my thing. It's like if I really really liked Harley Davidson, but didn't own one, and then me wearing a Harley Davidson belt buckle. It's not "wrong," it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Now if he were in a military uniform with an Airborne patch on it (with no personal affiliation to the unit), then I'd have a problem with it. But wearing an Airborne belt buckle, or an ARMY tee-shirt, or an FBI hat... it's not my style but I try not to judge other people's style either.

This is my thought on the matter as well. It's one thing to have a shirt that says 101 Veteran and another just having the screaming eagle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    This is my thought on the matter as well. It's one thing to have a shirt that says 101 Veteran and another just having the screaming eagle.
    That is not how veterans see it.

It is certainly not illegal to wear it, but as others have said it will offend those who actually served. Think about why you want to wear it, is it as some sort of tribute to the 101st? If so, you probably should not wear it as those to whom you are paying tribute would be offended, which seems like the opposite of your goal. If it is to associate yourself with the perceived characteristics of the 101st then you would be being deceptive and trying to borrow someone else's glory.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMDuncan View Post
    I am curious to know if it would be disrespectful to the 101st Airborne to wear the insignia as a belt buckle seeing as I have been eyeing up this belt buckle for a while now but I do not want to meet someone that might take offence to it because I have not served or have any links with the 101st?
    I'd just like an opinion on the idea as I in no way wish to cause disrespect.
    Good question... ill ask my friends in the 82'nd airborne what they think about it.
    Thanks for showing some consideration and restraint. most people wouldn't my self included.
    the symbols are controlled by the US government, but it should be in the public domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    Fuck the snowflakes? Really? You want to wear something someone else wears without having gone through the same treatment? The whole damn reason anyone would get angry is "Hey, YOU didn't go through the training, YOU didn't go through the hardship, YOU didn't develop the bonds with your fellow soldiers, YOU didn't get shouted at by your drill instructors, why should YOU wear it?" Who knows how many parachute falls (which are quite demanding, physically) these guys have gone through, and you wanna wear their emblem just like that?

Earn it..then wear it..

Actually the funny thing there is that if he is in the USA and is challenged, the court will throw out the case, and then it becomes an issue of the VET trying to prevent someone form their first admendment rite. Yes It even covers Lieing, that is why SV Act is unconstitutional, or so the courts say.

The symbol he is speaking of is not an exact copy of anything official, it's kinda crazy to get on his case over that shit seeing as the company I AM SURE covered it's own ass and made sure that the rules that apply to medals and symbols was followed...
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2012-06-27 at 02:30 PM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

TC as a vet, I personally don't have a problem with you wearing that belt buckle. I was also never in the 101st (10th MTN DIV, climb to glory!) and you should keep in mind the kind of attention wearing a belt buckle like that could invite.

Actually the funny thing there is that if he is in the USA and is challenged, the court will throw out the case, and then it becomes an issue of the VET trying to prevent someone form their first admendment rite. Yes It even covers Lieing, that is why SV Act is unconstitutional, or so the courts say.

In January of this year the ruling of the act being unconstitutional was overruled during an appeals court. There's a current case going on in California regarding the act but there hasn't been any decision made yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post

The symbol he is speaking of is not an exact copy of anything official, it's kinda crazy to get on his case over that shit seeing as the company I AM SURE covered it's own ass and made sure that the rules that apply to medals and symbols was followed...
    The company is based in the UK, pretty sure US rules do not apply.

VETERANS have better things to do than getting upset at a civilian wearing NON REGULATION (as in, not found in the 670-1) army merchandise. There are no belt buckles to earn in the 101st, he's not displaying anything you *EARN* its just the doggone unit crest. Just don't disrespect it and keep it off your shoulders. Carry on.

Deleted
    Thanks again for all the replies and I have decided just out of respect towards the soldiers and not wanting to cause any offence that I shall not buy it. I also firmly believe in the whole earn it then you can wear it idea but like I said I was just looking for other peoples opinions on the matter.

That is not how veterans see it.
    I have 3 deployments under my belt, so I'd say you're wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I have 3 deployments under my belt, so I'd say you're wrong.
    I am currently still serving, we must agree to disagree. I know some real fucked up guys that would lose it.

Fair enough.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say no, for 2 reasons, vets might get annoyed that you're trolling around in something they worked hard for, putting lives on the line etc

and 2, thats one fuck ugly belt IMO =p

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    I'd say no, for 2 reasons, vets might get annoyed that you're trolling around in something they worked hard for, putting lives on the line etc

and 2, thats one fuck ugly belt IMO =p
    Best reason so far

15+ Year Old Account
    Best reason so far
    i thank you sir

If you want it, buy it. If a vet approaches you, explain that you are being patriotic and thank them for their service. I doubt many vets would care tbh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Togarox View Post
    If you want it, buy it. If a vet approaches you, explain that you are being patriotic and thank them for their service. I doubt many vets would care tbh.
    I was planning on doing this but I have huge respect for soldiers so I felt I should get opinions about it and then I decided against buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMDuncan View Post
    I was planning on doing this but I have huge respect for soldiers so I felt I should get opinions about it and then I decided against buying it.
    I asked my friends in the 82 and the us army sells belt buckles with unit insignia.
    so if all your doing is displaying the insignia they don't give a dam.

I was in the cav and had to "earn" my spurs and stetson in the unit, should I get angry any time I see a cowboy walking around with a spurs and a cowboy hat....NO. If any specific unit has the audacity to throw a fit over you wearing a belt buckle just tell them that they are fighting for your right to do so lol.