Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is how it worked in Diablo 1 or well pretty much. If you would die, you'd drop all your loot like a fountain, and everyone could pick it up. Doubt Blizzard will ever go back to that. In this modern day and age people don't like those kind of games anymore.

---------- Post added 2012-06-27 at 05:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Valleera View Post
    I would rather see a non permanent death, but a mandatory ante of one of your currently equipped items. Might even be the winner gets to choose as to prevent someone from equipping a POS necklace and ante-ing that one up every time.
    That is actually a nice idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valleera View Post
    I would rather see a non permanent death, but a mandatory ante of one of your currently equipped items. Might even be the winner gets to choose as to prevent someone from equipping a POS necklace and ante-ing that one up every time.
    indeed, this is the way i'd like to see Arena working.

Could be the way to make a Hardcore Ladder (most battles won.) GL convincing that though, maybe if they went along one of Kripp's ideas (gear matters much less) then it could be entertained. Right now? Sounds like grief just waiting to happen.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

Deleted
    Rewarding the winner(s) of a duel or team match in an immensely gear-dependent game with even more gear, thus creating an even bigger gap between the well-off and the rest? Yeah, I for one see no problems with that.

Ancient spear -> Stop -> EQ or anything else -> collect lewtz
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC

You could make it like Runescape Wilderness. For those of you who don't know what im talking about. You have your 60 character with said gear on you que or enter an area where ONLY your gear is at risk not your character. If you were to die you would lose your gear and your character would spawn in whatever major hub your character is on atm.

It sounds good in theory. A PvP arena in which you die and lose your character. It's not an original idea though and just won't work for Diablo. This idea was orignally used in a MMOFPS game in which you would make a character, it would go out into the battlefield with everyone else and if you died you lost your progression (which was never more than a couple of hours usually) and you would start again at rank 1. The reason this worked was because you only lost an hour or 2 of progression, sure there were the people who played it purely for survival and had lots of time put into their characters and were extra careful not to die, but usually you didn't lose much progression.

The reason this will never work in Diablo is because of the time factor. A level 60 character takes a LONG time to get and to be able to lose hundreds of hours of work is just stupid. It could possibly be modified to work in that when you die, you return to a level 60 character with no gold, a basic gear set that was suitable for A4 Hell so you had to go farm all your gear and gold again til you were able to compete again.

The 2nd issue which would make the first part hard to implement is that people just straight up won't compete with the current balance of the game. The entire game would need to be rebalanced which would screw up the non-pvp portion of the game. The only way to get around this would be to have Blizzard impletement seperate PvP servers with a seperate auction house and character progression, much like the hardcore servers at the moment. These servers would have to be balanced differently and I doubt Blizzard would go to that length for free. You'd most likely be looking at a subscription to unlock Hardcore PvP Servers which would make all the greedy little kids whinge that they have to pay for an optional service.

Quote Originally Posted by Konoz View Post
    Lets call that the sissy version..
    mil gold says "konoz" would never pvp on a lv60 HC character

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    Haha you could be correct :d I would watch it tho.. I am 26 now dont have as much time for gaming as whene i was 16 counterstrike 1.3 FTW

Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    I'll raise that to a trillion gold.

And if it ever happened, I'd LOVE to see him die in the first match.

Quote Originally Posted by Konoz View Post
    There is no RMAH on HC.. unless the kid will go to some chinees friends of his buys for 500€/$ on gear.. will go to the arena maybe win a few matches becaus of gear and then loses becaus he cant play.. will spend cash
    That's true, I did forget that for a second. To be fair, though, there are third party sites everywhere that sell D3 items on hardcore (probably, dunno, it was everyone on D2 at least). But I'll still admit I goofed in that post =p

Regardless, the arena will still be a gear check rather than a skill one. It was mostly this way in D2, except that "elite" gear was much easier to come across. Any random player could get at least semi top tier gear, in D3 the top 1% of the top 1% is going to just murder everyone repeatedly.

You can say "it's for hardcore players," and that's a fine way of interpreting it, but realize what everyone else said - have fun waiting in queues a week long. If people lose anything at all in hardcore arena I expect the participation to die real fast, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    i like your idea, it's really bad ass. though i don't know if many people are willing to put their Hardcore character at risk. I could see nothing but low lvl twinks. Like level 20-30's all geared out in rares and legendary's i just can't see risking the money and time spent on a level 60 hardcore character with millions of gold worth gear only to get killed by a monk or wizard with really bad Lag teleporting all over the place (old WoW "strategy")
    Well... once your 60 and geared with perfect gears.... you have nothing else to do.... cuz diablo is dead already and you can cheese up inferno elites. Unless you wanna leave it untouched for what.. 2-3 years till expansion is out?

I always thought staking items/gold like you can in Runescape was a cool PvP model. Kept the fights intense by allowing you to set the stakes really high if you wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by sockzz View Post
    I always thought staking items/gold like you can in Runescape was a cool PvP model. Kept the fights intense by allowing you to set the stakes really high if you wanted to.
    i stoped reading at ''runescape''

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    That's true, I did forget that for a second. To be fair, though, there are third party sites everywhere that sell D3 items on hardcore (probably, dunno, it was everyone on D2 at least). But I'll still admit I goofed in that post =p

Regardless, the arena will still be a gear check rather than a skill one. It was mostly this way in D2, except that "elite" gear was much easier to come across. Any random player could get at least semi top tier gear, in D3 the top 1% of the top 1% is going to just murder everyone repeatedly.

You can say "it's for hardcore players," and that's a fine way of interpreting it, but realize what everyone else said - have fun waiting in queues a week long. If people lose anything at all in hardcore arena I expect the participation to die real fast, unfortunately.

Like i said.. i dont think many pll wil buy of 3the party sites becaus they can lose all the gear they bought in a match..

If blizz would balance it a bit it will not be as big of a gearcheck..

As said in a previous post , Make it once a week.. All can que in for a hour thats it..

Jessie made the idea about hardcore arena some time ago (during TGC Podcast). Lately he created this petition:

I actually really like the idea. I wouldn't take part in it but I'd deffinitelly watch it..
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Wyatt Cheng: Our current position is that you don’t die in PvP in Hardcore mode. So what happened in Diablo II is that anyone who wanted to do Hardcore PvP would basically level a character to level 10, and then they’d find another level 10 character, and they’d fight and one would die. That’s just not really that interesting. So we’re just going to let players engage in PvP.
    That was Blizzard's stance as of BlizzCon '11.

A RMAH is also entirely possible now for Hardcore.

https://twitter.com/angryrobotics/st...61116513898496

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Wilson
    If there is a demand for it we'll consider it.
    And then more recently from their Reddit AMA:

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Would you consider a Hardcore RMAH if it were for gold only? Won't third-party sites prosper if you don't address this?
    Once the RMAH has gone live and we can monitor it for a bit we'll consider whether we want to add it to Hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Agreed. Leveling in D3 takes way too long and isn't remotely fun. Screw the gear, losing the 60 levels is what hurts.

Furthermore, there is NO gear balance in D3. Expect to get into the arena with people way stronger than you. It won't be skill based, you'll just get crushed by the kid who stole mom's credit card.
    You should have seen the D2 hardcore ladders with all the 90 to 99 toons dying each day and at that lvl it is almost only duels that got them. Then if you killed somebody you looted them and moved on. Snagging their ear being the best part of it all. Just like then the ranged classes and partial immune to dmg classes would own things until they limited the space you ran around in. Nothing like watching a amazon with a ton of posion dmg fire tracking arrows off the edge of the screen have 3 or 4 connect then just run while the other guy spammed potions as fast as they could and still melted to death.

---------- Post added 2012-06-28 at 02:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    Jessie made the idea about hardcore arena some time ago (during TGC Podcast). Lately he created this petition:

I actually really like the idea. I wouldn't take part in it but I'd deffinitelly watch it..
    Thats the issue, plenty of ppl want to see it happen almost nobody would do it. This is almost the same mindset as the ppl that get upset with nerfs/buffs in games or parts of games that doesn't have anything to do with them.

Why have them spend the time and resources on something ppl wont use just so its there for a few ppl that will shortly use it?
    Last edited by Alvito; 2012-06-28 at 04:49 PM.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    You should have seen the D2 hardcore ladders with all the 90 to 99 toons dying each day and at that lvl it is almost only duels that got them. Then if you killed somebody you looted them and moved on. Snagging their ear being the best part of it all. Just like then the ranged classes and partial immune to dmg classes would own things until they limited the space you ran around in. Nothing like watching a amazon with a ton of posion dmg fire tracking arrows off the edge of the screen have 3 or 4 connect then just run while the other guy spammed potions as fast as they could and still melted to death.
    Some things were still broken, and aura stacking for example was banned anywhere you went. But people didn't care about losing level 90s in duels in D2 because you could get it all back in a couple of days. Furthermore, leveling in D2 was actually fun, in D3 it's a really crappy ride that takes way too long and in the end is just a grind.

And Blizz decided to fix Kulle/Azmodan/anythingelseremotelydecent so that you can't power level and skip the grind, either.

There is no RMAH on HC.. unless the kid will go to some chinees friends of his buys for 500€/$ on gear
    Dude, people sell gold for dollars on the Blizzard forums, and if they address that they'll be selling it elsewhere. Blizzard has even stated that they may do an RMAH in HC as well.

So yea, expect someone with some spare cash to smash your face in. If you think it's funny that people will spend hundreds to play in pve, let me tell you- there's basically no limit to what some people will do to win in pvp.