Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    This mite sound gross but I use hair clips lol there perfect digging tool
    well there not really clips and explain what they are but im sure you guys know what I mean

Yeah, my doctor actually recommended using a bobby pin to gently scrape out ear wax because then you won't force any back into your ear like a q-tip.

Does this actually work? Sorry to be suspicious, but, after all, this is a site where you never know what someone might post.
    Yeah, that's basically what you would buy at any pharmacy for cleaning out your ear.

Last edited by damntree; 2012-06-27 at 04:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Does this actually work? Sorry to be suspicious, but, after all, this is a site where you never know what someone might post.

I did use cotton tipped sticks but I think I have a problem too with wax that has simply gone too deep and am starting to have some minor problems sometimes. I'd rather not go deaf, already have some problems hearing some people in some cases but still. Doesn't it work with just warm water too?
    That wiki explanation was different to what I've seen used, even by doctors. But he method I'm familiar with also involves rincing with water. It's unpleasant but not dangerous. The only downside is that you might get water behind your eardrum instead...

There's some allergy medicine, prescription free, that you spray into your nose that's used to unclog or treat ears with infections. Your nose and your ears are connected, believe it or not. And such medicine actually helped me when I was in rather severe ear pains.

swabbing causes tiny abrasions, that's what gets infected. if your ears are tender inside, probably a small infection. and yeah, they're self-cleaning pretty much. if you continue swabbing, impacted wax is an eventuality. you probably even have pieces of cotton mixed in there. little by little over the years you just push wax deeper inside.

Deleted
    Clean your ears more often. I tend to get a lot of wax so i go to a doctor and fixing it every 6th month and yes i hear retarded well the first day but you get used to it fast..

Quote Originally Posted by dannypoos View Post
    This mite sound gross but I use hair clips lol there perfect digging tool
    well there not really clips and explain what they are but im sure you guys know what I mean
    You should not do it.

I remember having to remove the wax with a wire, after a week using a medicine to make it softer(?). The doctor did it, felt weird.
    The professional name is otolaryngologists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otolaryngology

Edit: I did the same, started 1 week b4 going to the doc, even after hearing several people saying that I should'nt.
    I got busted.
    Said my ear was full of scars or something.
    Last edited by Girlyman; 2012-06-27 at 05:10 PM.

I've always had a lot of wax, unfortunately. Where do you get your ears cleaned? xD

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkyman View Post
    I've always had a lot of wax, unfortunately. Where do you get your ears cleaned? xD
    This is what I'm really interested in hearing from the OP. Where did you go and what exactly did they do.

I've seen some crazy videos (I think they were from India actually) of a guy getting wax removed from his ear. It was kind of gross but still interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    This is what I'm really interested in hearing from the OP. Where did you go and what exactly did they do.

I've seen some crazy videos (I think they were from India actually) of a guy getting wax removed from his ear. It was kind of gross but still interesting.
    I got them cleaned when I went for my annual check up for doctor, I hear you can self-clean them, but when I did that I don't think I got the actual wax clump out so it never made any real difference. The way the doctor does it, it will make a noticeable difference.

Deleted
    My grandmother felt that her hearing had become really bad over the years, she could barely hear us at all even when we stood next to her talking so we had to talk really loud to make ourselves heard. A couple of months ago she got her ears cleaned, you guessed it now she can hear just fine...

I think there is a lesson here for all of us, clean your ears!

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by markluzz View Post
    i got them cleaned when i went for my annual check up for doctor, i hear you can self-clean them, but when i did that i don't think i got the actual wax clump out so it never made any real difference. The way the doctor does it, it will make a noticeable difference.
    HOW did he do it!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Your brain will adjust fairly quickly.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I have... well, I guess I'd call it very good hearing. I can hear the TV if it's on, but has no signal (the cable box is off, or dvd/blu ray player, console), computer monitors. When I'm on my computer wearing a headset, I have the headset set to the absolute lowest volume most of the time because other wise it hurts.

At some point in my late teens I was visiting my doctor and he took a peek in my ears and he decided my right ear had too much of a wax build up, so they brought in the water pump and small water basin to hold under my ear and went at it. It was an unpleasant experience, the nurse was a bitch about it, and by the end my right eardrum felt abused by the spray of water. My hearing didn't change much, though there was some slight amplification of sound (not nearly as much as OP is experiencing) for a few hours. A peek in the basin, and there wasn't much to show for it, so I maintain that the nurse was just being bitchy or was too used to kids with wax plugs in their ears.

Afterward, the doctor and nurse suggested simply tilting my ears into the hot/warm water spray during showers occasionally. The warmth that makes its way into the canal would melt what wax there was, and righting my head again would allow the wax to come out on its own. Not to say that I ought to aim a superfine needle of hot water into my ear, just get what's close enough to the outside soften up and work its way out on its own. I tend to avert my ear when it stops "feeling good."

If you're prone to ear infections as an adult, sure, probably not a good idea. But if you're not... It's something to consider.

HOW did he do it!!
    It was a tube esque type thing that manually squirts water into your ears with a small bucket to catch all the water as it came out, the water was lukewarm and was continually sprayed until the clump came out.

10+ Year Old Account
    HOW did he do it!!
    In my experience, a medical assistant/nurse gets a large guage syringe with no needle, sucks a bunch of hot water up in that, sometimes with some kind of wax softening agent, and squirts it into my ears. The water flows out into a pan she holds under my ear, and she can see the gunk as it comes out. It feels like high pressure, but I'm not sure just how hard she was squirting. Anyway, she does that over and over for like 15 minutes per ear and eventually the crap comes out.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Alright so it sounds like my hearing should be somewhat normal again in about a day or so? That's probably a good thing since i have about a day before I have to go to a place and do something that is actually loud.

But yeah I got my ears cleaned because there was a build up in a spot where normal q-tips or whatever can't and shouldn't reach and so the doctor checked my ears, told me I had a large wax build up and cleaned my ears out with the pump tube thing they used.

I will try to avoid doing much noisy things today then.
    Your brain is quite a capable device. Since your loss of hearing level has been slowly fading, your brain has slowly gotten used to it - your percieved hearing never went down. Cleaning it out makes a sharp increase in hearing ability - this is the only reason you notice it. Your brain now has to get used to to it and "turn down" the dial a little bit. This is brain functionality 101, so don't worry about it.

Same reason some people (Myself included) have a habit of starting the evening listening to music at, say for arguments sake, 80% volume. By the time I turn off the computer and go sleep, the volume is at 20%, without me realizing. Why? Because my brain progressively adapted to the volume, until I had adjusted it to the point where it was comfortable... It's the same thing.
    Last edited by Mythricia; 2012-06-27 at 06:36 PM.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

Give it a few days and you'll be fine

I had it done by a nurse once, essentially as described above (warm water with some other thing in there, squirted into my ears, let drain, repeat for a while). Then the nurse said I could just do the same thing myself. So I do that now a couple times a year with a squirter and some chemical I add to the warm water I got at the pharmacy (labeled to be used that way). She also said I should boil the water and sterilize the squirter first, to minimize chance of infection.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    It was a tube esque type thing that manually squirts water into your ears with a small bucket to catch all the water as it came out, the water was lukewarm and was continually sprayed until the clump came out.
    That sounds like fun, actually.

That sounds like fun, actually.
    While not the worst thing I have ever felt it wasn't a good feeling that's for sure.

OP About 4 years ago I couldn't hear anything so I went to the doctor and wow what a difference it makes. You get used to it though and the ear wax does come back to help lower your hearing abilities.

What do you mean by cleaning your ears?! Isn't that what you should do every day?