Deleted

Buzzing noise in my Razer Tiamat 7.1

Hi!

Got hold of a pair of these babies yesterday after waiting since december of 2011, and everything has been working wonders for me (even the mic which people seem to complain fairly happily about, but in reality they just don't know how to set it up properly).

Anyways, I've noticed that when I am playing games, idling at the desktop or simply doing nothing with sound I get a buzzing / static noise coming from the headset which increases and gets louder when I load up heavy application such as World of Warcraft. Now I know that this is not an issue with the headset itself, but with my PC's electricity not being grounded properly.

So I searched quickly for a solution and found this guy posting a youtube video telling me to get an USB hub and all this would go away. Said and done, after work today I helped myself to a very popular hardware & software store and got myself a deltaco USB hub for the cheapest price they had ($4).

Once home I plugged it in my PC, plugged the tiamat into the hub and anxiously await the results. Nothing. Buzzing was still there, maybe even louder than in it's original place.

So here I'm sitting with my tail between my legs. Was I fooled? Is there really an easy way out for me here? Or am I forever doomed to hear this annoying buzzing all the time? I feel that since I've gone so far to get a good soundcard and a good headset I might as well go all the way.

TL;DR: PC is not grounded, how to get rid of buzzing noise in headset?

Deleted
    I've got rid of the same issue by replacing my motherboard (used onboard sound for a year without problems and then suddenly this buzzing noise appeared). After over 6 months of buzzing I've bought my new motherboard and CPU and no buzzing since then.

I'm sorry for not knowing another fix for your problem.

Out of curiosity, this 'buzzing' does it sound like cell phone interference? I have something like that w/ the headset I'm currently using... but I don't have a cell phone.. kinda... annoying. Didn't have it when I had my usb hub, but the hub got rly hot one night, and I'm pretty sure it fried or something.. /shrug.

You got a soundcard for a headset that uses USB power? Well, there's your problem.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    You got a soundcard for a headset that uses USB power? Well, there's your problem.
    Please elaborate. If you ain't going to come with anything constructive you might as well not answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullblod View Post
    Please elaborate. If you ain't going to come with anything constructive you might as well not answer.
    He was being constructive.

You don't need a soundcard for a USB headset.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

I had something similar to this with my Razer Cacharius (however it's spelt) it's the normal pink and green component input cables. After about 2 weeks of using it with my brand new motherboard (old one died) it was fine, then all of a sudden I had a similar buzzing sound but it wasn't like a constant buzz it was a buzz that would buzz for like 2 seconds on 2 seconds of sort of thing. I was using dual sound output ie headphones in the front inputs and speakers through the back outputs, once I changed it to only 1 output of sound the buzzin stopped, I haven't tried but i'm really not that fussed as I just use an extension cable that I swap speaker/headphone outputs into. Not sure if it is what you're getting but it's kind of hard to describe a noise

found this on razerzones technical forums for the 7.1 tiamat.

Q: I can hear a slight buzzing or hissing sound through my Razer Tiamat 7.1 when not playing any audio, how can I solve this?

A: The buzzing sound you are hearing is caused by the USB connection within computer systems that have a grounding issue and not due to the Razer Tiamat headset. Some USB ports will cause this so we recommend switching the USB cable to a different USB port on your rig. If all your USB ports show the same buzzing sound, you may need to purchase an AC to USB converter (sold separately). On laptops the buzzing sound may be slightly louder because of the way the USB ports are connected internally.
    Please note, If you turn up the volume of the Razer Tiamat 7.1 to higher levels and have no audio playing you may still hear some hissing. Unless it is abnormally loud and still audible when audio is played through the headset, this would be considered normal and you will notice this sound when using any high quality analog headset that is capable of reproducing these higher frequencies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gamok1 View Post
    If all your USB ports show the same buzzing sound, you may need to purchase an AC to USB converter (sold separately).
    THIS actually worked. I guess I failed to read the text as a whole. I plugged the tiamat into my iphone charger from the wall, and bam, no noise! This is fantastic! Thank you so much for opening my eyes!

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    gamok1: Very good find! It's refreshing to see community forum users helping each other out.

Fullblod: Thank you for the positive feedback regarding the headset. Glad you found a resolution and have it functioning properly. Enjoy!

Regards,

Razer|bigwie

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullblod View Post
    THIS actually worked. I guess I failed to read the text as a whole. I plugged the tiamat into my iphone charger from the wall, and bam, no noise! This is fantastic! Thank you so much for opening my eyes!
    I have exactly the same problem. Can you provide me with a direct link to the product, you purchased?
    I already ordered an USB-Hub but as you said, i think it will not help.

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    He was being constructive.

You don't need a soundcard for a USB headset.
    You misunderstand, it's not a USB headset in that it just plugs into the a USB port and works as it's own sound card. It's a conventional headset, 3.5mm plugs and all, that ALSO requires a USB port for power.

I know because I have one myself, found this thread trying to solve the same issue the OP is trying to solve. ><

Find a wire, make it touch something made of metal on your pc chasis and put the other side in a bottle of water. Or just connect your PC with headphone cables or something to another object which is grounded. There is no alternate solution, and we guitarists have a problem with that and our amplifiers in ungrounded house plug outlets.
    Jamshield - Silvermoon EU