Quote Originally Posted by KDSwain View Post
Perhaps you could enlighten me as to how paying taxes and buying a product from a private company are similar?
Well, for one: You buy a product.
Yes, that is also what you do when you pay your taxes.

Note: I am not saying the two are completely similar, but they are very similar.

That said: I try not to discuss the privatism part of obamacare, because I think it's insanely stupid.
A national, public system would only have to cover the costs of the system.
Each private company would have to cover the slightly higher costs (per 'customer') of a smaller system, AND cover enough of a profit margin to make it worthwile for the stockholders and owners.
So either you'll end up paying more for the same service, or you'll get a lower quality product for the same price.

The problem here isn't buying health insurance. The problem is forcing Americans to purchase something. It's the precedent. What limits would the government have? They can claim that purchasing a GM car is a vital national interest and require all of us to purchase GM vehicles or pay a fine. If you think politicians are corrupt scumbags, wait until they have this kind of power.
I don't find arguments based on assumed boogymen to be particularly persuasive. You're either being quite paranoid, or you're using an argument that you don't even believe in.