Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    Most of the events I did revolved around culling a certain monster population or helping them with things. In Gendarren fields, I was often killing Centaur, Minotaur, Undead, Dredge, Beasts (boars, spiders, etc.), Pirates, Worms and those Ice Troll guys. I was also retrieving items, and I even had to clean a house.

The closest to Zhaitan lore I got was that I found Vigil HQ. Unfortunately there's really nothing to do with them as far as I am able to see. They are either closed off for now, or I didn't meet the prerequisites.

I expect heavy details on the dragons and the danger they face some point into Personal Story. From what I've seen, the 1-20 content we have so far is mostly just local problems (Humans deal with bandits just like in Final Fantasy Tactics (which then evolves into a war on a major power), where Charr deal with the Flame Legion and ghosts)
    This is a bit of a concern for me because so far its exactly how you say it is. No major story arc has been introduced, Even with the centaurs attacking the country side I haven't discovered what is the driving force behind it, person or otherwise (maybe there isn't one which would be disappointing) To say this is just the nature of the centaur race seems like a lost opportunity to me.

I struggle with MMO's that are just a small series of random quests that don't have anything linking them together. WoW had story arcs in each of the zones you went into (sometimes two), and those normally finished with a 5-man dungeon or some hard boss fight that required 3-5 people. It gave you a sense of something bigger around the corner, or you are working towards a goal. Of course not all zones had this and some were even so boring to the point where I would try to skip a zone to avoid it.

Anet have hired some good writers so I have high hopes that this game will be story driven. I'll be disappointed if those writers are just there for just background lore.

I guess my next question would be how important is the story in an MMO? I know it failed in WoW with Cata. It didn't seem like anyone cared about deathwing, he only showed up randomly and people were more excited about getting burnt by him to get an achievement than actually wanting more from the main antagonist of a expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    This is a bit of a concern for me because so far its exactly how you say it is. No major story arc has been introduced, Even with the centaurs attacking the country side I haven't discovered what is the driving force behind it, person or otherwise (maybe there isn't one which would be disappointing) To say this is just the nature of the centaur race seems like a lost opportunity to me.
    The centaurs were one of the races that were displaced by the initial spread of humanity throughout Tyria. In 1072 AE, two centaur prides attempted an alliance but human intervention prevented it - at least for a time. At this time, there was a group of centaurs within the Maguuma Jungle whose pride name was unknown. In recent history, the Modniir centaurs have taken over the Harathi and Tamini breeds and urge them to attack humans in Kryta.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Centaur

So essentially the same as the Charr - humans drove the centaurs away from their homelands, the centaurs want it back.

I haven't spent much time randomly conversing with people around events and invasions and such, but I wouldn't be surprised if the random townfolk have some information for you regarding why things are happenings. I believe I recall certain instances in one of the zones where they referred to the Ice Dragon a lot (you know, that zone with..that place...where the Ice Dragon was said to have been...?). There's actually a lot of "hidden" story, as in, you have to go talk to people to find it. Basically it's...if you want to know what's going on, you should probably ask someone in the world, and be a proactive hero. Then again, there may not be information, in which case the overarcing story will probably be revealed sometime later. However, I think GW2 isn't too worried about that, as the main focus is on you and your story. Of course some people want there to be a reason for why your story exists, but some people might not ever want to face a dragon as part of their story.

OT: I do not recall instances that pointed toward Zhaitan or anything, but it's been awhile so it's hard to recall what everyone [npc] has said.

Well i hit lv 34 and the last mission i did in my personal story was set my father free from captivity @ Black Citadel. While questing I didn't come across anyone which mentioned Zhaitan/The Elder Dragons. Closest thing would the the heart in Kessex Hills where we have to kill undead for the Sylvari and the event where that town gets attacked by undead. Other then that I have not noticed any mentions about Zhaitan or any dragon. I could ofc. be wrong seeing how I don't remember what every NPC said.

I'm super excited for the dragons and what i've read from the wiki, we will encounter Zhaitan in Ahra (probably story mode) and he will be a dragon which has split himself into lesser dragons. So we will not fight the enormous Zhaitan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Centaur

So essentially the same as the Charr - humans drove the centaurs away from their homelands, the centaurs want it back.
    thanks for the info, Read that stuff on wiki. I like two pacifists. "There have only been two known centaurs who have renounced their hatred for humans and went on to live a life of pacifism: Ventari and Ehrgen Windmane. "

That to me is interesting, individuals that stand alone. I like unique characters in games. To see a bunch of centaurs attacking the fort was fun, but I would of liked to discover some plans, found out that the Modniir centaurs have taken over the Harathi and Tamini breeds and urge them to attack humans in Kryta without having to read a wiki page. Also perhaps track down the Modniir leader and find out a darker power is behind the aggression. Learn that its a human necro gone power crazy.

Just something more than: you kicked us out now we want it back.

release date is soon(ish) so I guess I'll find out for myself if there is a story to follow or not.

They should of nabbed some of the Games workshop writers, that has to be some of the best fantasy stories and lore I've read.

Generally the side stories aren't going to be obvious. That's how it was for GW for the most part. A lot of the lore was gained from outside the game or talking to NPCs, and so on.

Their is alot of story in every game in all the zones most people just dont read quest text. Guild wars 2 delivers its zones stories both visually and vocally. NPCs will tell you whats going on just have your sound on. Bits of lore will be revealed here and their and i assume personal story and story mode dungeons will give you even more information once you get far enough into the game.

The only hints I've seen of Zhaitan were the undead mobs in western Gendarren Fields and the ones near the Sylvari settlement in (I think) southern Kessex Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    The only hints I've seen of Zhaitan were the undead mobs in western Gendarren Fields and the ones near the Sylvari settlement in (I think) southern Kessex Hills.
    might be further south? i remember some encounters of undead cleansing in a 25+ area
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Plz show me your spreadsheets.
    5. You think critting for 5k is awesome, I normal hit for 7.4k with autoattacks.
    Some people are too pro.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    thanks for the info, Read that stuff on wiki. I like two pacifists. "There have only been two known centaurs who have renounced their hatred for humans and went on to live a life of pacifism: Ventari and Ehrgen Windmane. "

That to me is interesting, individuals that stand alone. I like unique characters in games. To see a bunch of centaurs attacking the fort was fun, but I would of liked to discover some plans, found out that the Modniir centaurs have taken over the Harathi and Tamini breeds and urge them to attack humans in Kryta without having to read a wiki page. Also perhaps track down the Modniir leader and find out a darker power is behind the aggression. Learn that its a human necro gone power crazy.

Just something more than: you kicked us out now we want it back.

release date is soon(ish) so I guess I'll find out for myself if there is a story to follow or not.

They should of nabbed some of the Games workshop writers, that has to be some of the best fantasy stories and lore I've read.
    Yeah, I know what you mean and I agree. I hope there's some in-game explanation to be found or discovered. Sadly I didn't really progress too far in the centaur-invaded lands due to wanting to save it for release, so I can't say if it's there or not. It's also possible that it's something they haven't added yet (like how a few DE's were added in between BWE1 and BWE2).