Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

How Responsive is Guild Wars 2 Combat?

So yeah I'm looking forward to GW2, but I got a question which decided wether this game will be successfull or be a disaster.

Is the combat clunky? What I mean by that, is the fight mechanics, animations, movement and jumping responsive, can you, like in WoW (wow is the best example of GOOD mechanics) cancel spells midcast, mount up and jump at the last second without the mount not casting?

Basically all these games failed miserably at this:
    Age of Conan
    SWTOR
    WAR

probably many more

Those games failed for way more reasons then clunky combat. I would rate the combat far down the list in ToRs shortcomings. As far as wow, they spent years perfecting thier combat (and still are) but I remember a time back in the day when stopcasting was a required skill. Games evolve. The combat felt good to me in GW2 but there is always room for improvement in any game.

1. You can cast while moving
    2. There are no mounts, there is fast travel however (like flight paths, but from anywhere)

Everything is very fluid and responsive. If an archer shoots an arrow at you and you move out of the way, it won't hit you. If you're behind someone who's melee, they can't hit you. If you roll out of the way of something, it won't hit you. Jumping is just as responsive as WoW, if not better because of it's ability to get to very strategic positions due to in-game jumping challenges. (mini games, almost)

Actual responsiveness is pretty darn good. Not on the level World of Warcraft, but rather good.

Renamed the thread so that it's a little bit less of a loaded question.

GW2 combat responsiveness is miles ahead of any of the games you named, I would put it up there to being really close to WoW.

Mechanically, it's a very deep game.
    Animation wise, it's very good.
    Responsiveness, assuming you mean the "feel" of it, it is on par or greater than WoW. Assuming you mean the other meaning, it doesn't have a GCD and instead relies on animations. It has an ability queue system, which I assume can be turned off. Some people may find this very awkward at first.

I guess similar to the "bug" TOR had, except GW2 is actually completing developed around it. The benefits of this is that it won't be the shitfest TOR was with that. The downside (for some) is it will never use a GCD.

Hmm, I thought AoC had pretty good responsive combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    It has an ability queue system, which I assume can be turned off.
    I did not know this. you're a fountain of knowledge.

Although I did find it not up to the responsiveness of wow. Very, very close though. I think a lot of it is due to me running the game on ultra settings because the game looks so nice I want to view it for all its goodness. When I get into pvp I'll tune back the settings to get a better response.

AoC ideal was nice, just poorly executed.

Actually:
    I think you cant really compare to wow, in matter of responsiveness.

Think about it:

WoW its a static-game play similar to D&D (the books not Online), sort of. So every "request" will feel a response very well, since for the most part you are kinda "stuck". And since people are going over the graphics/animation quality. You just cant compare gw2 to WoW, for the same reasons XD (IMO) try playing a pvp melee on WoW while everything seems very responsive (and it is!) while you look at it, it is very, very xD very "mechanic clunky". Im a WoW fan, and I think the mechanic is very much perfected.

Whiiiiile on gw2 the response is good (maybe not that great because of optimization issues, but thats beta.). The graphics are awesome (even on the lowest, altho mine runs super good on ultra), and having the feeling/heat of the battle while happening. Seeing the blow come towards you and be able to actually dodge (and who played knows is all possible), (besides Tera) I dont think there is anything like that out there.

I have more arguments but I rest my case here.
    Last edited by Zilong; 2012-06-28 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    I did not know this. you're a fountain of knowledge.

Although I did find it not up to the responsiveness of wow. Very, very close though. I think a lot of it is due to me running the game on ultra settings because the game looks so nice I want to view it for all its goodness. When I get into pvp I'll tune back the settings to get a better response.
    Latency wise you mean? That's to be expected during the beta. Once I actually got 60+ fps and ~30-50 ms the combat was a breeze. Before then it was borderline frustrating.

Only time I had a problem was the very first day of the first BWE

i can assure you that guild wars 2 does not and will not have the mount/dismount bug that tor had. :-)

Deleted
    The only flaw , i can think is the <<heroic leap mechanics>> (choose and area and jump there) that 2 classes have (warrior-enginner) .
    It has a 1-1.5 sec internal cast time , and tries to be more realistic , rather like in other games , putting a rocket in ur woop!* and fly there istantly*

10+ Year Old Account
    I found it very responsive. Having played an affliction warlock in WoW it was just amazing to be able to cast and channel while running. And combat is very dynamic - you run, dodge (double tap to roll), kite, casting all the while.

No mounts in GW2, but you get the same feeling say when jumping off a cliff or ledge or w/e while casting.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsight View Post
    So yeah I'm looking forward to GW2, but I got a question which decided wether this game will be successfull or be a disaster.

Is the combat clunky? What I mean by that, is the fight mechanics, animations, movement and jumping responsive, can you, like in WoW (wow is the best example of GOOD mechanics) cancel spells midcast, mount up and jump at the last second without the mount not casting?

Basically all these games failed miserably at this:
    Age of Conan
    SWTOR
    WAR

probably many more
    Fight mechanics in Guild Wars 2 as of the last stress test, this week are extremely clunky. Don't let anyone fool you. Let me explain why:

While moving forward with whatever key is mapped to the forward direction, a key is pressed to cast the skill which tells you to move backwards and plant some fire on the ground (this is an example of the elementalist firewall or whatever it's called). Instead of giving the user a message that the skill cannot be cast while moving, the character stops, casts and rolls backward thereby losing up to 5 seconds of movement in the direction you are intending to move in. Even if the player is holding down the forward direction key this is done. Combat is extremely clunky at present and I am hopeful this will be changed.

Some skills root a player because they are bound to an animation cycle. Other skills do not.

Animation rooting is much less than in Tera, Aion or even TOR. Though it comes down to comfort. GW2 is not as "loose" as WoW, and really like no MMO is that finely made- it's Blizzard, their peers are like Valve and Nintendo. What do you expect?
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-06-28 at 11:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepared View Post
    elementalist firewall
    Yeah , normaly u have to aim and adjust it like Anivia(League of legends) frost-block path spell

But u should enable <<smart cast>> , next time
    You will do firewall , at the location ur mouse is pointing , just by pushing the spell istantly , and no need to aim-adjust it on the ground .

Edit: Its Fast-cast : Ground Targeting (sorry )

Edit 2 : Sorry , i screwed up with translate while i was drunk , and focued only in the <<firewall>> thing
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-06-29 at 07:15 AM.

Fight mechanics in Guild Wars 2 as of the last stress test, this week are extremely clunky. Don't let anyone fool you. Let me explain why:

While moving forward with whatever key is mapped to the forward direction, a key is pressed to cast the skill which tells you to move backwards and plant some fire on the ground (this is an example of the elementalist firewall or whatever it's called). Instead of giving the user a message that the skill cannot be cast while moving, the character stops, casts and rolls backward thereby losing up to 5 seconds of movement in the direction you are intending to move in. Even if the player is holding down the forward direction key this is done. Combat is extremely clunky at present and I am hopeful this will be changed.
    I'm going to disagree with you here. I know what you are talking about but I think its meant to be that way, might not be 100% but I think its close. Specially with the optimization issue, and latency. But my experience with the stress was awesome and I was with the Wurm respawn inferno rate. Some skills you do need to stop or you will never cast, you do not want everything channeled/moving. Somethings you need to move to take full advantage, some (usually something dif) requires you to stop for a second in order to do it (and that means possible disavantage of standing still) thus making you really think WHEN and HOW to use those abilities.

Some of the skills need adjustment I will agree to that. As an elementalist I didnt feel like the firewall (which I think is what you meant) was too off, but the Ride The lightning that turns you into a ball of lightning to rush the enemy was at best 50/50 XD.

If you know that you cannot cast the spell while moving (as you will learn) you will stop and do it and then keep moving. You have only maybe 1 skill per weapon that MIGHT do that, wont take a genius to learn the class you play with.

OOOR

Smart cast it. but I dont really like it ._.
    Last edited by Zilong; 2012-06-28 at 11:34 PM.

You aren't meant to use the skill like that, rather as an escape. An example would be getting aggro during an event, you use the skill and retreat to a safe distance while also creating a wall for your allies to combo with.

The combat is very very responsive, people complaining are those mashing their 1 skill, not understanding that many of those button mashes do actually queue. It's obviously not perfect as there is nothing perfect.

There is also supposed to be a slider for queue time, if it wasn't in be assured it will be.