Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    While this is dumb yes, what's even worse is that I TA biology labs and lectures at my college since I am in grad school, and we had a topic on evolution in the intro class for new bio majors, and literally a kid stood up and said, "Evolution is junk science." Kid stormed out and and dropped the class the next day cus we were talking about evolution. Why would you even want to be a biology major if you see Evolution as junk science. It's scary to me to see people at the college level and thinking this way.

While evolution is no way proven, the evidence is so strong in its favor its astounding. Hell, scientist are reverse engineering chickens to bring back traits of dinosaurs haha.
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taen View Post
    You can't justify teaching nonsense to children by saying "well, they might not end up believing it anyway!"
    I'm not trying to justify this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    This type of state sponsored disinformation is sickening. It's crap like this that has made my wife and I decide to home school our daughter when she becomes school aged since we live in the bible belt.
    There is a fine line between clever and stupid.

I'm a Christian, but I can say without a doubt that anyone that believes this or would teach this to kids is an idiot. Also the Earth isn't 6000 years old, nor does the bible say it is.

I don't get creationist.... They can't grasp the concept of an ape like creature evolving into a man, yet they have no problem with a rib turning into a woman.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vallin View Post
    While this is dumb yes, what's even worse is that I TA biology labs and lectures at my college since I am in grad school, and we had a topic on evolution in the intro class for new bio majors, and literally a kid stood up and said, "Evolution is junk science." Kid stormed out and and dropped the class the next day cus we were talking about evolution. Why would you even want to be a biology major if you see Evolution as junk science. It's scary to me to see people at the college level and thinking this way.

While evolution is no way proven, the evidence is so strong in its favor its astounding. Hell, scientist are reverse engineering chickens to bring back traits of dinosaurs haha.
    You think that guy was an idiot, get this. My mother is head of the pediatric department at a medical school. One of her superiors, a doctor for over thirty years, completely and vehemently denies evolution in favor of creationism. I fail to understand how someone could spend their career devoted to the science of life, and not see any correlation between humans and earlier life forms. I guess blind faith does exactly that, makes you blind.
    There is a fine line between clever and stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a christian and love science. Science doesn't disprove God, it shows how he works.

Deleted
    this is why religious people should be kept away from modern day society. All of them. Just cull the herd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    I'm a christian and love science. Science doesn't disprove God, it shows how he works.
    by being christian, you encourage this behaviour. This is what your group does. Stop being a christian and join the real world. God doesn't exist, get over it. Until then people will just consider you an unintelligent monkey, stuck in the dark ages.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2012-06-29 at 01:20 AM.

Deleted
    ok, lets just put aside the fact that these people are nutters and need a state sponsored stay in a comfortable padded room with a nice jacket with wrap around arms......

And lets ask, why would a loch ness monster disprove evolution? Surely it does the opposite.

---------- Post added 2012-06-28 at 11:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Agoonga View Post
    probably the most offensive thing I;ve seen on these forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maztech View Post
    this is why religious people should be kept away from modern day society. All of them. Just cull the herd.

by being christian, you encourage this behaviour. This is what your group does. Stop being a christian and join the real world. God doesn't exist, get over it. Until then people will just consider you an unintelligent monkey, stuck in the dark ages.
    Fortunately not all us Atheists are as violent, ignorant, or angry as you are.

And please, let's cut the discussion of religion, lest you wish this thread be closed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    American education at its finest.
    Around 6,000 schools teach the controversial curriculum in more than 140 countries, including the UK, although they are not funded by the state. In 2009, a UK government agency ruled ACE's exams - International Certificate of Christian Education (ICCE) - were equivalent to A-levels.
    You live somewhere that teaches you not to read sources?

By the way, the state funding isn't "Here, have some tax money and teach kids to be stupid!" It's more "Here, take this voucher and send your child to the school of your choice." Don't blame the state, don't blame the schools, don't blame the US: blame the parents who take that voucher and send their kid to an indoctrination camp like this.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Deleted
    This doesn't make you angry? That religious people are teaching incorrent information to young people simply to further their own agendas?

Not all religious people are extremists.

Similarly to any religious types about, I'd like to apologise. Not all atheists are extremists advocating genocide.......

Give people a chance to see different viewpoints and allow them to find out about how different people see the world. The internet is the home of free access to knowledge and information. Allow people access and let them decide. Most kids who have access to a wide range of information will decide the arguments being presented to them here regarding evolution are complete fabrication.

Things like the existence of the Loch Ness monster are pretty niche viewpoints really. Which is annoying, because it leaves fewer people willing to help me get back my three fiddy.

By the way, the state funding isn't "Here, have some tax money and teach kids to be stupid!" It's more "Here, take this voucher and send your child to the school of your choice." Don't blame the state, don't blame the schools, don't blame the US: blame the parents who take that voucher and send their kid to an indoctrination camp like this.
    Doesn't mean that tax payer money isn't being spent on terrible educations with religious dogma fueling it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's despicable how they blatantly lie to children to try to dismantle a theory that doesn't even disprove their religion. It's rather low, lying to convince yourself and others that you are right. And it's extremely ignorant. There are mountains of evidence for evolution, the only "gaps" in the theory are relatively insignificant details, nothing that could bring the entire theory down to its knees. It's been a strong theory for 150 years.

Schools should not be allowed to teach things that are not up to the scientific standards. Creationism, fictional monsters, these do NOT belong in a science class, and if I found out such bullshit was being taught where I was sending my kids, I'd be looking for a new school while raising hell about it.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Well until nessie visit my university and proves me wrong in resonable disscusion, i remain neutral in that case

10+ Year Old Account
    This doesn't make you angry? That religious people are teaching incorrent information to young people simply to further their own agendas?
    This is some of the shit in my country that pisses me off. Here we are, sinking behind Japan and other nations in science and mathamatics, while religious neo-luddites try to usher in a new dark age by denying supported science because it doesn't fit their bronze age mythology.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Now a lot of you people are suggesting Nessie isn't real, and that's just not on. I have a right to believe in whatever I like, and you can't criticise me for it. Now true, nobody may have seen Nessie, but that doesn't mean she doesn't exist, it's all a question of faith. If you believe in Nessie she will reward you for your faith, for righteous are those who believe in the Loch Ness Monster. When I die and go and spend eternity in her kingdom (loch) I will grieve for those too blinded by science to put their faith into her, for they shall never know Nessie's love.

Amen.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's things like this, and all around poor standards, that make me think a National education system would be nice. Then again, it'd be easier to slip this sort of nonsense in all around the country if less than scientifically literate people made their way onto whatever board decided curriculum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Not all religious people are extremists.

Similarly to any religious types about, I'd like to apologise. Not all atheists are extremists advocating genocide.......

Give people a chance to see different viewpoints and allow them to find out about how different people see the world. The internet is the home of free access to knowledge and information. Allow people access and let them decide. Most kids who have access to a wide range of information will decide the arguments being presented to them here regarding evolution are complete fabrication.

Things like the existence of the Loch Ness monster are pretty niche viewpoints really. Which is annoying, because it leaves fewer people willing to help me get back my three fiddy.
    I understand what you're saying. I'm not some super angry anti religious nutjob

Not all religious people are extremists, that is true. But then again, not all nazi people were mass murdering fuck heads, but hey, announcing your a nazi is not the best of ideas.

If people follow religion by choice, then they're saying that what has happened in the past is acceptable, and by that, all pieces of history. You chose to be a nazi, you're not born to be one. Same way religion works. On the other hand, if they feel obliged to be a christian because their family was, then they're no better than sheep with out any self thought. Either way, they're a bane on society and should be eradicated. Religion does more harm as a whole than any religion does good by itself.