Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The "Other" US Supreme Court ruling today....

I know everyone is all caught up on the healthcare ruling today.....but what about SCOTUS overturning the Stolen Valor act?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...len-valor-law/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Valor_Act

Doesn't anyone else think it is wrong to be able to lie about military service, awards, honors and commendations for personal gain and get away with it because the found that under the Constitution, you have the right to free speech, which includes the right to lie about military service.....My Grandfather served in the European Theater during WWII, he had several decorations, commendations, awards and more...and to have some jackass simply trying to impress gullible people be allowed to simply lie about having the same honors my grandfather and those he served with paid for in blood and in some cases paid for with their last breath is just plain disgusting.

I find this the more despicable ruling of the day, and will probably not even get 1/10th the attention that the Health Care ruling will.

You have a right to lie, so long as you're not committing fraud or perjury in doing so.

Sickening.
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You have a right to lie, so long as you're not committing fraud or perjury in doing so.
    Correct. His lies were rather harmless if he got nothing out of it other then fooling gullible people into thinking he had something he didn't have.

People lie about their jobs all the time for person gain. Military isn't an exemption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    People lie about their jobs all the time for person gain. Military isn't an exemption.
    I'll be sure to tell my next crowd of adoring fans.

/rockstar
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Frankly its sad this bill even got passed.

They have been ruling in other cases like this, the same way. It's actually not a shocker. Frist amend covers the lie.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

If only I had the power to lie to stupid/gullible/desperate people to convince them something existed that didnt exist and somehow make myself rich doing it.

If only this lie had the power to topple an empire and rule through secrecy and espionage over half a continent of displaced and uneducated natives and refugees.

If only I could wear a fancy hat and awesome wizard robes while doing it.

Batman lies to people everytime he puts his mask on.

wow...not shocking tho...

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    They have been ruling in other cases like this, the same way. It's actually not a shocker. Frist amend covers the lie.
    Then why is it illegal to lie to a police officer during an investigation? I would imagine the First Amendment covers you here too.

10+ Year Old Account
    People who do such a thing are douchebags to the nth degree. However, so long as they aren't gaining benefits from these lies (fraud) then there isn't much that can be done about it. Lying in and of itself is not against the law.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Darksideblues42 View Post
    Then why is it illegal to lie to a police officer during an investigation? I would imagine the First Amendment covers you here too.
    Obstruction of Justice. Different than regular ol' lying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obstruction of justice.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    -snip-
    I find it amusing that you were talking about a 'certain' subject, then quickly stop and talk about Batman (although I do agree with you). Lol.

Anyways, I'm not really shocked about this. People lie all the time, and this is no different. While I haven't read and/or heard about this before, why was this going to the Supreme Court? Aren't there more important matters than this?

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Aren't there more important matters than this?
    Like?

/10char

As much as I hate to say it, I have to agree with the Supreme Court on this one. Making it illegal to lie is a dangerous road, and if the Supreme Court had upheld the law then that would be setting a legal precedent that would be very hard to fight later on.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Obstruction of justice.
    I understand that, I just fail to see where in one circumstance, lying is a crime (even though the police can lie to you during that same investigation) and one where lying is not a crime. The man at the heart of the case made a false official statement as part of a public open records meeting. I don't see the difference.

I understand that, I just fail to see where in one circumstance, lying is a crime (even though the police can lie to you during that same investigation) and one where lying is not a crime. The man at the heart of the case made a false official statement as part of a public open records meeting. I don't see the difference.
    No crime was being investigated?

10+ Year Old Account
    If the guy didn't hurt anybody with his lies why should they matter? Also freedom of speech is freedom of speech, even if the speech isn't factual.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."