Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksideblues42 View Post
    I understand that, I just fail to see where in one circumstance, lying is a crime (even though the police can lie to you during that same investigation) and one where lying is not a crime. The man at the heart of the case made a false official statement as part of a public open records meeting. I don't see the difference.
    Lying is not a crime. Obstruction of justice is. By lying in an investigation, you hamper with the duty of law enforcement. By coming out and declaring myself a Medal of Honor winner, I do not do any harm to anyone; I merely dishonor myself and those who earned that award.
    Putin khuliyo

They are drafting another legislation about making it a crime to lie about a military background for personal gain. So I imagine that will go pretty well.
    Currently playing: Stuff
    YouTube|Hearthstone Decks|Twitter|MyAnimeList

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    No crime was being investigated?

Was a hypothetical from the earlier post.

I get that freedom of speech is important, but again, it is a crime to claim to be a police officer in most states, is this really all that different than claiming to be a decorated veteran? You might not gain anything from it, but it is still against the law. I just think that some things really should be beyond reproach, and claiming military honors you have zero right to is one of those things that just should not be allowed.

10+ Year Old Account

I get that freedom of speech is important, but again, it is a crime to claim to be a police officer in most states, is this really all that different than claiming to be a decorated veteran? You might not gain anything from it, but it is still against the law. I just think that some things really should be beyond reproach, and claiming military honors you have zero right to is one of those things that just should not be allowed.
    It's a crime to pretend to be a cop and pull people over for speeding or something. But not to simply say, "I'm a cop!"
    Putin khuliyo

A decorated veteran doesn't hold a position of authority like a police officer does.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    A decorated veteran doesn't hold a position of authority like a police officer does.
    True. However, it is a crime here in Massachusetts to simply claim to be anyone (or to even let someone think you might be) from of a whole host of positions from Justice of the Peace to Inspector for the Cable Company. You cannot tell me that a Cable Company Inspector has a position of authority.

I fully support this. We have a right to lie, score one for that.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-basic-...-fight-for_p2/
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.