Thread: Pvp map ideas!!

Pvp map ideas!!

In another thread the idea just clicked on my head. I particularly would find it fun, even tho is not "Original" of my brain.

I will try to communicate here how it could be with a few ideas.

Please keep in mind that this thread is about ANY ideas for maps and kind of games, in addition to comments and discussion to whatever the posters post. Keep the balancing class issue out of it. Focusing in the maps and new ideas or even old that you would like to see in gw2, keeping in mind that if we get some constructive post I can keep adding to the OP and stack them so we can suggest on the next beta weekend on the suggestion forums. Also, I'm a noob about programming so if you have something useful to add please do, but don't be too restricted about it. Thanks

So to work!

Obs: For those who did not play the event on the bwe2 (which is where this idea comes from) Ill explain.
    We had to kill a champion infected like boss, where everyone who died for him would become a infected player, your skills would change and appearance. Infected players could spawn in the waypoints that were corrupted with some sort of crystal. Everytime a infected player would kill a player that player would also become infected (I heard that if you would go to a city waypoint you could return to "alive" player.) But mainly it was a war over control and direction, the infected had to turn everyone, while the others had to "fight back" while trying to destroy the crystals to stop the infected players spawnings. While I realize some peoples being "upset" about how unbalanced it was, I had lots of fun, so we can come up to balance measures.

Game Style: Infection Domination.

Maps: The game can actually come in many different maps.
    1. Open map pretty much like any zone.
    2. A strict map kinda like a corridor, or a maze.
    3. A defend the keep/castle/house/farm map.
    4. Inside one of the cities map
    5. As much as I think it would be cool to have a underwater map, not sure if it would be applicable.

Size: I guess it would depend only on the map.
    1. Would probably be higher since the zones are usually bigger than 30
    2. Any size really, but an optimal of 16 or 20?
    3. It depends on what is being attacked, while a house might be a 10 player, a castle could be way more.
    4. Since cities are huge, lets go for higher numbers 50+?
    5. Not really sure, any size probably.

Special Features: Its nice that every map has not it only unique feel to the game in addition to being a unique map (landscape wise)
    1. This one could have some infected Npcs, some kind of boss or waves that helps the infected. (Which If I recall correctly were very weak but in a swarm to maximize play.
    2. Maybe there is no map to the game? So if gives some sense of "being lost". Also Im thinking some sort of "infected realm" for this. Darker.
    3. Well siege weapons for the defenders and some different transmutations for the infected to be able to break the gates and such.
    4. Maybe some kind of victim count? Like civilians?
    5. Here is blank. Maybe a dif kind of infection.

Explanation: Well, now Ill try to explain somewhat how it could be.
    1. This one works pretty much like the beta. Would require alot of "less" work from the devs for sure since its "done", but balancing problems. This game has already been explained on the spoiler, so Ill wait for possible suggestions. One of my suggestion is spread around some nice Infected NPCs and only have a few on their side while the rest start untainted. A broken waypoint cannot be repaired. If all the infected npcs are dead, the infected could have some kind of debuff (since they have a nice advantage of every kill making their army stronger.) Also I was thinking the player could have some resources to clean the infection, the details of how I didn't really think yet.
    2. It would be the reverse way of the "defend the keep/castle", where the Non-infected would attack the infected in their own "Realm", it could be some sort of rush game where in the end there is some sort of boss or maybe an artefact that empowers the infection. While to the Non infected side could use tickets to respawn (meaning the tickets ending infected wins. Non infected wins if the the opponent teams runs out of ticket or you destroy the boss or artefact.
    3. Infected invading the untainted land. Pretty much could be around tickets as well, who runs out of it loses (respawns take tickets, while reviving a friend before using the waypoint restores 1 ticket). Not much to add here since its similar to what we see on the WvW
    4. This is probably too close to the number 3, but I could suggest that inside a city there are some points of interest. Like the water fountain, the main square, the library, communication center (Not sure how advanced they are, but with pistols in the game who knows, could be more archaic like an orb.) They all have their own features to what they provide for the defenders, losing all of them will result in a win for the infected. About the victims could be a resource for the defenders to use, saving them.
    5. Make your bet! xD

I would like to make it clear that this is a brainstorm of mine, doing just for fun. Of course I know IF this was even HEARD it would be only one of the them to be picked seriously. But I had fun doing it, and why not keep the fun up? We still have pretty much 20 days for the next beta .

Since English is not my first language I apologize if something is not well detailed or confusing. Just let me know and Ill fix it, I also welcome hints haha.

So, what about you?
    Anything else you would like to see in the game? Capture the flag? Arenas? Improve and discuss my ideas? Welcome!

Deleted
    It would require a lot of balancing and I doubt anyone would really "enjoy" infection maps. Look at maps like in Counter-Strike and such, they're always so hellishly unfair to one of the teams :P
    I like the idea, but I think it's much harder to balance than regular sPvP.
    As for battlegrounds and such, I once posted a thread but it died out pretty quickly. But it features the 2 upcoming maps for sPvP, which we might see in BWE3, (or at least on release) Take a look, feel free to necro ;p
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...structured-pvp

Quote Originally Posted by Suchaku View Post
    It would require a lot of balancing and I doubt anyone would really "enjoy" infection maps. Look at maps like in Counter-Strike and such, they're always so hellishly unfair to one of the teams :P
    I like the idea, but I think it's much harder to balance than regular sPvP.
    As for battlegrounds and such, I once posted a thread but it died out pretty quickly. But it features the 2 upcoming maps for sPvP, which we might see in BWE3, (or at least on release) Take a look, feel free to necro ;p
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...structured-pvp
    While I appreciate your feedback, I think to "compare" to CS (which I played and loved specially the zombie and jail maps) is a little bit too much, think that the engine that runs CS is fairly (way) "simpler" than gw2. If you participated the event, I had fun even tho it wasnt balanced, but really was just one event in a beta, and it did great. Any kind of balancing is always difficult, but ideas, even with what I said, arent that hard to come up with, takes time and effort to do it, but I feel like it could happen. I really dont mean to be MAPS in plural, but I would like one map like that, just brainstorming.

And since sPvP is already capped gear wise (while of course having the infected have less power) makes things way easier, cause there is a cap of what you can do already in numbers for every class/build. Just need to come up with a side tool to help if any of those sides got to be in disadvantaged. Like returing infected to normal, number of "tickets" so on and so forth.

But thanks for the feedback.