Thread: Real Money

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Honestly i feel it should. Why have 1 player run back to repair, delaying the whole group? What is unbalanced of having repair canisters work in dungeons, i'll never know.
    Perhaps Arenanet is just scared it might be a required to run?
    I believe their philosophy is that if people are needing to repair a lot then that indicates they they're not ready for the dungeon...so they didn't want people repairing just to then spend more time banging their heads against the proverbial brick wall...

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 03:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    The gem store (whatever it's called now) is not an auction house. It's more like a supermarket.
    The market buys gems from producers at a set price, then re-sells it to the consumer.
    Are you absolutely sure about this - I thought gems were used to fill specific buy orders...and it is this which drives the price.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Honestly i feel it should. Why have 1 player run back to repair, delaying the whole group? What is unbalanced of having repair canisters work in dungeons, i'll never know.
    Perhaps Arenanet is just scared it might be a required to run?
    Oh that actually isn't a problem. In the dungeons there are repair anvils connected by waypoints within the dungeon. It's more about cost savings. You die a lot, drops don't cover the repair costs, repair canisters turn the run into a positive go$d gain. Esp. since the highest value of the items is the potential rune extraction w/ a cash shop salvage kit.

Deleted
    You'd have to be really foolish to believe you'll be able to buy cash shop items via ingame gold.

Putting it in GW1 term, a bag expansion would be for example 50 ectos (or 200k). Can some player farm it? Sure he can. It will take him few weeks playing 8 hours a day doing nothing else than farming a single location, but he will finally get that cash shop item.

Had they made it too easy, no one would have bought anything via the $$$ shop, which is where they get their money from.

Quote Originally Posted by athrl View Post
    You'd have to be really foolish to believe you'll be able to buy cash shop items via ingame gold.
    What do you mean? Players absolutely can buy cash shop items with gold. It works both ways.

Personally, I bought most of my dyes, mini and all of my mystic chest keys w/ gold. Spent my gems on outfits mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Chest
    Correct.

Unless I'm mistaken, no data from the BWE showed that Mystic Chests gave any gear whatsoever, not sure where he's getting that.
    Ive never seen any gear ever, and Ive opened tons on CBA myself.

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 11:38 AM ----------

Putting it in GW1 term, a bag expansion would be for example 50 ectos (or 200k). Can some player farm it? Sure he can. It will take him few weeks playing 8 hours a day doing nothing else than farming a single location, but he will finally get that cash shop item.

Had they made it too easy, no one would have bought anything via the $$$ shop, which is where they get their money from.
    The biggest thing we can honestly hope for is that ANet will be prepared much much better for the gold farmers than say D3 was at release.

This thread will be the beginning of the end for WoW.

Can't say I've ever seen an argument FOR buying in game advantages for real money, until now.

Blizz will read this thread and think to themselves 'Score! Start filling up the blizzard store!'
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    The gem store (whatever it's called now) is not an auction house. It's more like a supermarket.
    The market buys gems from producers at a set price, then re-sells it to the consumer.

If there's a high demand, but not much avaibility, the price goes up. If it's high supply and low demand, it goes down. The difference would be that the supermarket in this case doesn't take a cut.

ANet have said they looked allot at Eve making this, and I would assume the reason they went with this road instead of just allowing gems to be sold on the normal auction house is because of the extreme price differences you found for PLEX in Eve. To make a good deal, you sometimes had to wait days to trade your plex for ingame money.

By having a centralized market instead of an open market, you won't have as much difference in the costs. The costs are flattened out, giving a more even and stable cost.
    Actually, the gem system works a lot more like APW entertainments leaf system in Forsaken world.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post

Can't say I've ever seen an argument FOR buying in game advantages for real money, until now.

Blizz will read this thread and think to themselves 'Score! Start filling up the blizzard store!'
    They don't give advantages, that's kind of the whole point. Leveling 10% faster is not an advantage when the game has no endgame raiding.

10+ Year Old Account

Thing is that it is going to be that easy, and the price will be affected by the supply/demand of the market. The more people there are selling gems, the lower the price of the gems will get.

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 10:45 AM ----------

They don't give advantages, that's kind of the whole point. Leveling 10% faster is not an advantage when the game has no endgame raiding.
    And even then, 10% faster is not likely to feel required. There's still people who level without heirlooms.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post

Blizzard already did that a few years ago when companies like Zynga, PWE, gPotato (plus a list about a mile long) made cash shop ftp/btp games a multi billion dollar industry, thats why they added a cash shop as well.

Try starting zones with lvl2-5 hero. Level to 30. Try them again.

You'll notice blowing through events regardless of downscaling because zones are balanced for people with no utility skills and no traits. Necromancer with 4 minions could literally afk through most orange events as his utility slot minions will take care of the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    What do you mean? Players absolutely can buy cash shop items with gold. It works both ways.

Personally, I bought most of my dyes, mini and all of my mystic chest keys w/ gold. Spent my gems on outfits mostly.
    I think he's saying that once the game launches, the exchange rate from gold to gem will NOT be as lenient as it used to be in BWEs for those who want to get cash shop items with gold.

In BWEs, players were given tons of gems for free, and gold was in a sense, relatively scarce, because no one was spending all their beta time farming gold. Besides, the transactions between gem and gold were not transparent (i.e. no one really knows which player they were buying from or selling to), the gems (or even gold) on the market could well be created as a "genesis exchange rate" by ANet to begin with.

Anyways, the exchage rate was something around 9 or 15 silver per gem. However, once the game launches with server wipes, there will be virtually no gem on the trading post at the beginning (unless ANet puts in another amount of "genesis" gems), whilst gold will start to inflate due to players farming, and then we will see something like 10 gold per gem.

Still, we have to wait and see how the market fluctuates in practice, because maybe there really are people who want to buy gold with gems for whatever reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure you're not actually selling gems to other people, or buying gems from other people.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're not actually selling gems to other people, or buying gems from other people.
    Its player to player, you just dont see the names of the sellers, again look at a perfect world entertainments leaf system for its games, GW2 is pretty much spot on with how theirs works. Its like a mini ah, I put up 200 gems to be sold at xx-xxgold, someone selects how many gems they want to buy out my 200, buys it and I get gold, they get gems. Just reverse the process to sell gold for gems. Its all player driven.
    As said by Mike 0'Brien,
    "If a player buys gold from another player, he gets the gold he wants, the selling player gets gems she can use for microtransactions, and ArenaNet generates revenue from the sale of gems that we can use to keep supporting and updating the game. Everyone wins."
    http://www.arena.net/blog/mike-obrie...n-guild-wars-2
    Last edited by Gsara; 2012-06-30 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Try starting zones with lvl2-5 hero. Level to 30. Try them again.

You'll notice blowing through events regardless of downscaling because zones are balanced for people with no utility skills and no traits. Necromancer with 4 minions could literally afk through most orange events as his utility slot minions will take care of the enemy.
    Coolio. Now tell me, what is the advantage of doing that? Last I checked, DEs were not competitive.
    Also, you won't 10x faster, so your level 2-5 VS 30 is a little silly.

Deleted
    I assume you mean whether you can *realistically* rather than literally use gold?

I guess it depends on the market...if lots of people want to sell gems for gold, then the gem price will be low.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    I assume you mean whether you can *realistically* rather than literally use gold?

I guess it depends on the market...if lots of people want to sell gems for gold, then the gem price will be low.
    how did my question about what you can buy w/ real money turn into this?
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    how did my question about what you can buy w/ real money turn into this?
    Welcome to the internet, you must be the new guy