Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Rogues T14 setbonuses

So setbonuses has been released and I figured people could discuss the T14 rogue setbonuses here.

Rogue T14 2P Bonus - Increases the damage done by your Venomous Wounds ability by 20%, increases the damage done by your Sinister Strike ability by 15%, and increases the damage done by your Backstab ability by 10%.

Rogue T14 4P Bonus - Reduces the cooldown of your Shadow Blades ability by 90 sec.

Personally I'm happy with the setbonuses, especially the 4P one, seeing as Shadow Blades feels pretty damn powerful with the double combopoint generation, and with it's CD getting cut by half I can't do anything but drool a bit. Seeing as we'll have lower haste-% in the first tier and rotations are usually slower compared to later on in expansions, I think it's great to have a tool that helps to speed it up a bit (other than AR for combat, but since this works for all the trees..., awesome!).

Are you happy with the bonuses? Would you rather see some ability swapped out for any of the trees in the 2P bonus? And if so, what would you rather see take it's place?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see anything wrong with them other than being boring. I don't particularly like set bonuses that cause major changes in rotations, but the standard "This ability does X% more damage" and "This ability's cooldown is reduced by X seconds" are just not very fun. I want to be at least a little excited about getting the set bonuses. These don't really do that for me.

Well at least they are not tied to tricks anymore.I hated not being able use set bonuses while soloing stuff.

Beginning tier has always had boring bonuses because Blizzard doesn't know how exactly all classes will play out. They start to get interesting from 2nd tier onwards because thats when they'll have a better idea of how each class is for the remainder of the expansion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor77ri View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with them other than being boring. I don't particularly like set bonuses that cause major changes in rotations, but the standard "This ability does X% more damage" and "This ability's cooldown is reduced by X seconds" are just not very fun. I want to be at least a little excited about getting the set bonuses. These don't really do that for me.
    set bonus' for the first tier always tend to be quite dull, usually a "increses x by y%" and "reduces the cooldown on x by y" etc

they've got to worry about over all class balance for the first tier, latter tiers classes will be more balanced so they can create fun stuff that changes stuff around a bit ^_^

Deleted
    Well I agree that the 2P feels very standard, "X ability does Y% extra dmg", "Increases crit chance by X% of ability Y".
    But I have to say that none of the bonuses are bound to tricks feels like a very welcome change imo.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    set bonus' for the first tier always tend to be quite dull, usually a "increses x by y%" and "reduces the cooldown on x by y" etc

they've got to worry about over all class balance for the first tier, latter tiers classes will be more balanced so they can create fun stuff that changes stuff around a bit ^_^
    I just think they could be a bit more original without upsetting balance. The tier 11 4-piece bonus was a bit more than the standard damage or cooldown buff. I'm saying they could have something like that.

Pretty much the same as every first tier...
    T13 2 piece is amazing where it's used (Dungeons/Raid)
    For soloing stuff you dont really need set bonusses
    T14 is plain boring...

Deleted
    Like people mentioned before, they are just boring. What I find more annoying is that the cooldown of Shadow Blades can't be lined up that well with Vendetta. It looks like every 3rd use in a fight will be without Vendetta's bonus damage, and I find that a bit of a shame.

At least they aren't tied to tricks anymore...

I am very happy with them. these are my favorite type of set bonuses. i hate the gimmicy ones. The simpler the better. I can never understand what people want to complicate things.

Deleted
    i think especially the 4p bonus is great.we will see a more well placed dps spikes and on bosses with movement and few seconds for actually moveless dps it will help alot

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayded1 View Post
    I am very happy with them. these are my favorite type of set bonuses. i hate the gimmicy ones. The simpler the better. I can never understand what people want to complicate things.
    What people find fun doesn't always have to be complicated. Here, I'll list a few of my favorite past bonuses to prove my point.

T4- Finishing moves have a 15% chance to grand an additional combo point.
    T5- Eviscerate and Envenom deal 40 extra damage per combo point.
    T6- Increases the haste bonus from Slice and Dice by 5%.
    T8- You gain 1 energy every time Deadly Poison ticks.
    T9- Rupture ticks have a chance to reduce the energy of your next move by 40.
    T10- Gives your finishing moves 13% chance to add 3 combo points.
    T11- Gives your auto attacks a 1% chance to make your next Envenom or Eviscerate crit.
    T12- All your crits deal 6% extra damage over 4 seconds.
    T13- No one likes T13.

None of these are really complicated and most are just passive increases, yet they are far more interesting compared to ''Increases the damage of this random proc you have no control over by x%''. Although I agree the T9 and T10 do alter your rotation a little and that may be frustrating for some.

The T1, T2 and T3 had some awesome effects as well, but those are a great example of both outdated mechanics and a complicated mess. The T2 set for example has a bonus that sometimes on melee hits causes you to deal some extra burst of damage and heal for a certain amount every second for 6 seconds. I personally think it's cool, but I wouldn't want a T14 version of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayded1 View Post
    I have no problem with simplicity either. Lets face it most Rogues wanted an offensive cool down that can used on demand (highly requested after what Rogues received in Cata), and Blizz delivered with Shadow Focus for MoP. Harder hitting CP generators like Sinister Strike and Backstab are also what most Rogues wanted moving forward.

The t14 4 set is great but its great because shadow blades is weak baseline and is balanced around having that bonus. Basically they made it where it will be weak in pvp just like everything else we have in beta.
    Last edited by Wow; 2012-07-01 at 04:02 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    T9- Rupture ticks have a chance to reduce the energy of your next move by 40.

None of these are really complicated and most are just passive increases, yet they are far more interesting compared to ''Increases the damage of this random proc you have no control over by x%''. Although I agree the T9 and T10 do alter your rotation a little and that may be frustrating for some.
    T9 2p was one of the worst set bonuses ever given to rogues, it had a ridiculous proc chance. I would rather have a boring set bonus than one that does not proc at all.

I'm not happy either with t14 4p, it seems that shadow blades is balanced around the bonus, so it will feel lackluster on later tiers unless they tweak the cooldown later on.

I very highly doubt shadow blades is balanced around the set bonus. It's very very very very very foolish design to balance an ability around a set bonus--especially given how minor set bonuses end up being (on the order of 1-2% dps).

Shadow blades is actually quite powerful--especially if you stack it with other cooldowns (vendetta/ar/ks/sd).

On a side note, it might be better to use SB during dance than waiting until the dance ends--keep in mind, it's only autoattacks that deal shadow damage--the extra combo point income during dance means you get more eviscerates off during FW, and that may outweigh the autoattack damage gain you get from staggering dance with blades. We'll have to wait and see for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linneth View Post
    T9 2p was one of the worst set bonuses ever given to rogues, it had a ridiculous proc chance. I would rather have a boring set bonus than one that does not proc at all.

I'm not happy either with t14 4p, it seems that shadow blades is balanced around the bonus, so it will feel lackluster on later tiers unless they tweak the cooldown later on.
    Look at the mechanics and not how it actually worked out. Personally I think the mechanic is exactly as I described, interesting and not complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    I very highly doubt shadow blades is balanced around the set bonus. It's very very very very very foolish design to balance an ability around a set bonus--especially given how minor set bonuses end up being (on the order of 1-2% dps).
    Shadow blades lasts only 12sec and has 3min cd. 3 mins is little long for that duration 3mins cd normally would last 20-30secs and look the 4 set brings is down to 1.5min cd and that matches up perfectly with 12sec duration. If you don't think its been balanced around that with a 12sec duration.....
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    On a side note, it might be better to use SB during dance than waiting until the dance ends--keep in mind, it's only autoattacks that deal shadow damage--the extra combo point income during dance means you get more eviscerates off during FW, and that may outweigh the autoattack damage gain you get from staggering dance with blades. We'll have to wait and see for that.
    I've tested it is better to use during sd not only does ambush get extra cp's when your shadow auto attacks crit it counts for hat and gives cp's. Since the main dmg of sub is now evis this is pretty big but with how long of time it lasts and how long it takes to come back overall doesn't matter much.
    Last edited by Wow; 2012-07-01 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    Shadow blades lasts only 12sec and has 3min cd. 3 mins is little long for that duration 3mins cd normally would last 20-30secs and look the 4 set brings is down to 1.5min cd and that matches up perfectly with 12sec duration. If you don't think its been balanced around that with a 12sec duration.....
    Shadow blades (well, ANY cooldown) uptime is balanced around an averaged-out contribution to your damage. Shadow blades is a very powerful dps cooldown, hence the low uptime compared to other dps cooldowns. Shadow blades is roughly 9% fewer combo points per second than adrenaline rush, but roughly twice as much autoattack damage gain as what you get from adrenaline rush (ignoring the extra poison procs you'd get from AR), which makes it more powerful than adrenaline rush.
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2012-07-02 at 05:35 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    T13- No one likes T13.
    I hate set bonuses tied to tricks, However i find the T13 2 set incredible useful and fun to use as sub. The other two specs I should imagine combat more get quite shafted by it. I think this is more of a personal taste. Either way T13 was boring in a non-biased view which boring = no one likes it.

On topic for the set bonus for T14: Increased damage by percentage is something i dislike. It's also something blizzard dislike via talents hence why they did away with them (Just baked them into skills). So i don't understand why they do this at all sometimes.

I like the Shadow Blades cooldown reduction. Like it's already mentioned it's going to be a pain to try and align it with something good, But at least we get to play with our new ability far more often then i imagine we're going to be able to do in T15.