Better video card for WoW?

Hello guys,

I am currently building a gaming computer for World of Warcraft.

I was wondering which of these 2 is better? I heard AMD is worse for wow so not too sure.

AMD Radeon HD7950 3GB or EVGA GTX680 2GB

[REMOVED]

Do not post LMGTFY links please! ~Synthaxx
    Last edited by Chronalis; 2012-06-29 at 11:23 PM.

Both will run WoW as well as a 130 dollar HD 6850 or GTX 560. Spending more on a computer used purely for WoW is a waste of money.

WoW is far more CPU based than VC, so that would honestly be my first priority in building a WoW machine.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Both will run WoW as well as a 130 dollar HD 6850 or GTX 560. Spending more on a computer used purely for WoW is a waste of money.
    I disagree 100%

A 6850 or GTX 560 won't even come close to maximizing 25 man raid GPU settings, as these were known to put strain even on dual 580s.

My answer, OP, would be the 680 personally.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    I disagree 100%

A 6850 or GTX 560 won't even come close to maximizing 25 man raid GPU settings, as these were known to put strain even on dual 580s.

My 5770 doesn't have any trouble in 25-man raids while backed with a 4.6GHz i5 2500k. Any of the ones being discussed (even the 6850/560) will be fine.

[edit: I get around 50-ish fps, depending upon the fight. Fights like Ultraxion drop to about 40. My settings are 1080p, 4xAA, and 8xAF. All other settings are max except for ground clutter (high), particle density (high, due to personal preference), and shadows (good). A better card might be able to push some extra shadows, AA, and AF, but maxing those doesn't really increase the visuals that much, in my opinion. Also, both of the cards being discussed put my 5770 to shame already anyway.]
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2012-06-30 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Added settings and framerate for reference

Reply with quote isnt working for me so @Cilraaz
    You're playing full ultra with playable FPS in 25 man raids in a 5770?...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enhshamanlol View Post
    Reply with quote isnt working for me so @Cilraaz
    You're playing full ultra with playable FPS in 25 man raids in a 5770?...
    I was editing in my settings and average framerate (as well as clarifying the reasoning for my post) when the db errors struck. They're in there now.

10+ Year Old Account
    GPUs are more important than ever in WoW due to new spell detail, how shadows render, etc. CPU is still the most important part of building a WoW machine though with that said. Personally, I would go with an Nvidia 570 series. The bang-for-your-buck of new generation GPUs just isnt worth it... the value isnt there because current games are designed for older parts. I shy away from AMD/ATI GPUs sheerly for their driver updates. They tend to be much better on NVIDIAs side about that. Ive had 2 AMD cards die after driver updates burnt out the fans on my GPUs. Just my humble opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    I disagree 100%

You're seriously advocating spending that much money for WoW? Do you just throw money at your computer and yell at it to run faster?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

15+ Year Old Account
    I just bought a PC with 2x 560ti, even with one 560ti i can play WoW to its max.

Ambient Occolusion set ON > High Quality in nvidia settings .. also textures to Max

80+ fps <3 (1 card)
    Last edited by Azerox; 2012-06-30 at 01:12 AM.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

For your CPU go Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge 2500k/2600k/3570k/3770k are all good. As others have said WoW benefits most from a CPU but a nice video card still helps. In WoW a GTX 560ti isn't going to be any different from a GTX 680, but of course you may want to play other non-blizzard games that take advantage of modern GPUs better.

Between your two, the GTX 680 is better... but even better than that is the GTX 670. It's only 5-10% less performance than a 680 for $100 less.