10+ Year Old Account

Supreme Court kills bid to fine CBS for “wardrobe*malfunction”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-malfunction/

Reuters
    Yesterday health care, today wardrobe malfunctions.

On Friday, the Supreme Court refused to hear the Federal Communications Commission’s request to reinstate a $550,000 fine against CBS for the Janet Jackson Super Bowl halftime show incident.

That ends the long, legal wrangling over a flash of nudity in front of 90 million television viewers during the Patriots’ Super Bowl XXXVIII win over the Panthers.

In November, the U.S. 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals upheld an earlier ruling that the fine was invalid, based on the FCC action was an undisclosed change of policy against “fleeting images.”

CBS said in a statement it was “gratified to finally put this episode behind us” and added that “at every major turn of this process, the lower courts have sided with us.”

They’ve also added delays to all live programming to prevent similar incidents.

Hard to believe it was just over eight years ago; a quaint, Twitter-less time. In fact, sitting in the press box at Reliant Stadium that night, I had no idea anything had happened until the post-game flurry of quote sheets began to fly and I was given an apology from CBS.

Then when a large group of weary journalists gathered for a post-deadline meal sponsored by the league, the loudest boos of the night came when a replay of the game we just covered was fast-forwarded through the fleeting image in question. Now that I think of it, it seems like yesterday.

Really??? how many years ago was that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shennanigans View Post
    Really??? how many years ago was that?
    8 freaking years! I forgot panthers were in the Super Bowl... Panthers? I watched that game... Panthers?

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    8 freaking years! I forgot panthers were in the Super Bowl... Panthers? I watched that game... Panthers?
    Im more concerned about why anyone cares about a mistake like that enough to use time in the court system for 8 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    OMFG FCC. Get over it.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Im more concerned about why anyone cares about a mistake like that enough to use time in the court system for 8 years.
    Even worse, afterward, the use of the word "nipple" on TV was heavily monitored. An audio commentary on an episode of Family Guy had Seth explaining that they couldn't even use the word.

As Lewis Black said, it's stupid, it's pointless, you couldn't even really see anything. You know, except several minutes long, and hilarious, and in his voice.

Total waste of time and money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Because you don't think of the children! Why won't anyone think of the children?!... I heart Simpsons...

Deleted
    The funny thing is most of those kids who were shocked by it are now old enough to visit (or work in) strip clubs.

I really wish America would put nudity and sex in the same mental arena as violence.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Even worse, afterward, the use of the word "nipple" on TV was heavily monitored. An audio commentary on an episode of Family Guy had Seth explaining that they couldn't even use the word.

As Lewis Black said, it's stupid, it's pointless, you couldn't even really see anything. You know, except several minutes long, and hilarious, and in his voice.
    Lol - you cant say nipple on TV during prime time? They dont have that problem here. Though they usually dont say nipple because the word is ugly in my language - literally translates to "Breast wart"

Deleted
    I never understood why children would be shocked and traumatized after seeing another human naked.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember this event.. hearing about it was the very first time I even knew American football existed. It was an.. interesting introduction to the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakir the Windlord View Post
    I never understood why children would be shocked and traumatized after seeing another human naked.
    I think the idiot parents are far more shocked and traumatized thinking their kids would be after seeing nudity. Overprotective.

That this had to go to the Supreme Court...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alakir the Windlord View Post
    Because they've been taught to be shocked and traumatized.

If bare breasts were the norm in our society, sure they'd still be sexual, that's how men are programmed, but it wouldn't be a fucking shitstorm every time one is viewed in public. Rather, people would shrug it off and go about their business. Had we not been so conditioned to see bare breasts as "bad" then the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" would have been seen only as a silly blooper and everyone would have forgotten it five minutes later.

We brought this idiocy on ourselves by being so sensitive to body parts.
    Putin khuliyo

Sigh. Boobs and the problems they cause.

And this was just one boob!

Maybe people are mad it wasn't from someone more attractive...

I'm just trying to justify why this is even still being discussed...or in court...