Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    I did not understand what you meant about you not being focused and burtn down without any chance whatsoever? Can you explain it more?
    If im focused in wow in pvp i generally have a chance if i have a healer, what i fear is if say more than 2 people focus me do i have a chance to respond or am i a dead man, I have my self heal which is fine but in wow if 3 people focus me im dead without a healer, so far i from what i read, I dont have the same kind of back up I do in GW2. Its not a gamne breaker, its no more annoying than being stunlocked which gw2 shouldnt have its just a concern. I dont like dying without a chance :P

I think others have covered it more eloquently than me tbh, forgot about the downed state too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJiERTGSNUI shows a good idea of what can happen if trained :P
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-07-06 at 03:31 PM.

I do not understand why some of us WoW players hope that GW2 will crash and burn a horrible death. If anything, we should pray that GW2 is a huge success, so blizzard can have some more competition and start releasing more content.

If there are no threating MMO's out there to compete with WoW, Blizzard have no reason to pull themself together and we might see even more shallow content. I mean, when exactly was patch 4.3 released? End of 2011 I believe? Little over half a year with the same content and a few minor tweaks plus some boring events.

I can already see it. Patch 5.3, Doom of the Pandaren Warlocks. 9 Months with the same content... And people say Subscription fees pay for faster and better content. Lol.

I'm hoping it forces more game developers to innovate rather than stick with the status quo, particularly concerning end game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly my pessimistic self has developed the idea that in the case of GW2 being a great succes we'll see a few GW2 killers *clones cough* just like we've got 2-3 suspiciously WoW like games out there atm.

Although i do hope this inspires the desire to be inovative and creative at competing developers.

Hell we might even see a certain subscribtion based MMORPG step up their game quite abit to avoid getting bypassed when the cake slices are divided out.
    |Asus Sabertooth 990FX|AMD Phenom II 1090T 4.2Ghz x6|XFX R7970 Black Edition|Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz 8gb|Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkbonk100 View Post
    I do not understand why some of us WoW players hope that GW2 will crash and burn a horrible death. If anything, we should pray that GW2 is a huge success, so blizzard can have some more competition and start releasing more content.

If there are no threating MMO's out there to compete with WoW, Blizzard have no reason to pull themself together and we might see even more shallow content. I mean, when exactly was patch 4.3 released? End of 2011 I believe? Little over half a year with the same content and a few minor tweaks plus some boring events.

I can already see it. Patch 5.3, Doom of the Pandaren Warlocks. 9 Months with the same content... And people say Subscription fees pay for faster and better content. Lol.
    BEWARE: NO OFFENSE. Honestly, as you said: what the hell WoW offer, if GW2 will be the N.1 MMO game ever and cloned around (Bold text is my answer to this thread) ? Honestly, i keep reading of people quitting WoW in a rush, not so much interested on MOP, but well..

(Just to be clear: i was an uberpro WoW player, long ago, till when i saw that trash called Cataclysm.. i left in a rush after reach lvl85)
    Last edited by Lucas Ashrock; 2012-07-06 at 05:18 PM.

Death of subscription based MMOs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be a heaven, nah.

10+ Year Old Account
    The more competition, the better imo. Each game will have to fight for survival, but hopefully that will invigorate and stir new ideas that are even more fun for the consumer. Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Quanille View Post
    Sadly my pessimistic self has developed the idea that in the case of GW2 being a great succes we'll see a few GW2 killers *clones cough* just like we've got 2-3 suspiciously WoW like games out there atm.

Although i do hope this inspires the desire to be inovative and creative at competing developers.

Hell we might even see a certain subscribtion based MMORPG step up their game quite abit to avoid getting bypassed when the cake slices are divided out.
    I don't mind the clones so much. A bunch of the WoW clones are actually fun to play.

If they clone the no sub fee aspect, though, they might actually be successful. The reason no one plays WoW clones is because no one wants to sub to two WoWs at the same time. Without sub fees, you don't run into this problem.

For example: If every other game out there went to no sub fees, I would have WoW, Rift, Tera, The Secret World, and GW2 on my computer, and I would swap between them as whims would dictate. I would also probably buy stuff from their cash shops, because sometimes there's really cool stuff in there. As it is, though, because of the sub fees, only one of those games is earning my money. They could all be earning my money easily by simply abandoning their sub fees.

I know I'm probably in the minority for saying I would play 5 MMOs at the same time, but I have a feeling there are a large number of people that would happily play more than one if they didn't have to pay for it every month, and that's the point I'm trying to make.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinomatic View Post
    I don't mind the clones so much. A bunch of the WoW clones are actually fun to play.

If they clone the no sub fee aspect, though, they might actually be successful. The reason no one plays WoW clones is because no one wants to sub to two WoWs at the same time. Without sub fees, you don't run into this problem.

For example: If every other game out there went to no sub fees, I would have WoW, Rift, Tera, The Secret World, and GW2 on my computer, and I would swap between them as whims would dictate. I would also probably buy stuff from their cash shops, because sometimes there's really cool stuff in there. As it is, though, because of the sub fees, only one of those games is earning my money. They could all be earning my money easily by simply abandoning their sub fees.

I know I'm probably in the minority for saying I would play 5 MMOs at the same time, but I have a feeling there are a large number of people that would happily play more than one if they didn't have to pay for it every month, and that's the point I'm trying to make.
    Agree, maybe we could have a choice.

p.s. 5 mmos? Do you have a real life..?

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    If im focused in wow in pvp i generally have a chance if i have a healer, what i fear is if say more than 2 people focus me do i have a chance to respond or am i a dead man, I have my self heal which is fine but in wow if 3 people focus me im dead without a healer, so far i from what i read, I dont have the same kind of back up I do in GW2. Its not a gamne breaker, its no more annoying than being stunlocked which gw2 shouldnt have its just a concern. I dont like dying without a chance :P

I think others have covered it more eloquently than me tbh, forgot about the downed state too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJiERTGSNUI shows a good idea of what can happen if trained :P
    There are also still options for allies to help you out in other ways as well. Guardians droping barrier walls to let you duck behind, most classes have knockbacks or pulls of some sort, stuns, fears and so on. Same basic "Pealing" concept you get in wow arena to be honest just a few more tools to do it. There is just a bigger emphisis on proactive suport instead of reactive(healer) suport. and like stated the down'd state helps as they still need to get through a 5s channle to finish you off quickly and your team can disrupt that quite easily if they so choose.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    Agree, maybe we could have a choice.

p.s. 5 mmos? Do you have a real life..?
    I do, actually. 9-5 job, wife, kid. I still find time for all of my hobbies. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinomatic View Post
    I do, actually. 9-5 job, wife, kid. I still find time for all of my hobbies. :P
    Haha amazing. Same conditions, wondering (hoping) i will manage my GW2 playtime appropriately haha ( I can deal with my daughter, but my son looking me playing will do something like then jump on me trying to play haha

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkbonk100 View Post

It comes down to people wanting to defend their choice. Sports fans get the same way. And does anybody remember what it was like back in the original console wars, Sega vs Nintendo? People even do the same thing in politics - Democrat vs Republican, conservative vs liberal. You even see this dichotomy within WoW itself - Horde vs Alliance.

A lot of people these days seem to be big on "us vs them" philosophies. So in choosing to play WoW, they want to believe they've made a good choice. They're not so much trying to bash on other games, as they are trying to feel extra sure of their own game. They only "hate" other games because, basically, it's expected of them as part of the cultural norm.

In the words of the late Rodney King: Can't we all just get along?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    late Rodney King
    At the speeds Rodney liked to drive I doubt he was ever late for anything.

Servers with less downtime (interesting)

Check out this link, this guy makes some good points. Especially the one about whose servers stay up the most. When you compare Blizzard servers with GW1 servers over 7 years GW1 servers have a much smaller downtime than the Blizzard servers (which means you pay more to use them). Obviously Arenanet infrastructure is much cheaper to run because they do not require as much maintenance.

*snip*

This is the second time in a row you've posted the same link, please don't advertise in these forums. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-07-07 at 03:09 AM.

Deleted
    I think if GW2 becomes a huge success (and I have a feeling it will), then games like 'The Secret World' are really going to have to rethink their business model, especially when they charge both subs and micro-transactions. Things seem to be heading in the 'f2p, pay for the stuff you want' direction anyway I think? Originally, that was the business model TSW was designed for until they changed their mind (or EA changed it for them with a big bag of cash).