Poll: How fast can you type?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    66 was my best, but I'd assume that I'd do better if it was a Danish test.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    66 was my best, but I'd assume that I'd do better if it was a Danish test.
    You can change it to danish...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailozh View Post
    You can change it to danish...
    Yeah I just noticed. First attempt in Danish I got 75 and I was eating meanwhile.

10+ Year Old Account
    I type damn fast, but doing this with a hangover is hard...

If my keyboard is the right position I can type a mile a minute, without mistakes and without looking, but move it ever so slightly and adauibaiuabad

Deleted
    hm strange im swedish and when i tested english i had 40 wpm and in swedish 29

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    You don't play the game where you make a big scribble and then colour it in?
    Haha, that game is great

OT: My WPM was 72, not bad since I just woke up.

Deleted
    Words per minute (WPM) 182
    Keystrokes 982
    Correct words 181
    Wrong words 5

Better than 100% of the other

I work with programming every day... I know my keys :P
    I usually do better. but then again English is only my second language.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    How can people do these tests without being annoyed and distracted by trying to make sense of random sequences of words?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Words per minute (WPM) 93
    Keystrokes 465
    Correct words 91
    Wrong words 0

You are better than 96.58% of all users (position 2214 of 64721 - last 24 hours)

According to studies cited by good old Wikipedia:
    In one study of average computer users, the average rate for transcription was 33 words per minute, and 19 words per minute for composition.[2] In the same study, when the group was divided into "fast", "moderate" and "slow" groups, the average speeds were 40 wpm, 35 wpm, and 23 wpm respectively. [3]

An average professional typist types usually in speeds of 50 to 80 wpm, while some positions can require 80 to 95 (usually the minimum required for dispatch positions and other time-sensitive typing jobs), and some advanced typists work at speeds above 120 wpm.[4][5] Two-finger typists, sometimes also referred to as "hunt and peck" typists, commonly reach sustained speeds of about 37 wpm for memorized text and 27 wpm when copying text, but in bursts may be able to reach speeds of 60 to 70 wpm.[3] From the 1920s through the 1970s, typing speed (along with shorthand speed) was an important secretarial qualification and typing contests were popular and often publicized by typewriter companies as promotional tools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Words_per_minute

So if you're up around 40 wpm you're doing well for an average computer user, and anything (sustained) above 80 is a pretty good professional level.

15+ Year Old Account
    English
    Words per minute (WPM) 39
    Keystrokes 205
    Correct words 40
    Wrong words 1

Native language
    Words per minute (WPM) 37
    Keystrokes 192
    Correct words 44
    Wrong words 1

Freaking awfull test. I watch my keyboard when I type, so having words without sentences to type was god awfull(no touch-method for me). When I actually type like normal I believe I am quicker as I won't have the distraction of having to split my view between the screen and my keyboard.

Also, I typed "First" wrong! Bet I typed it like I sometimes type "teh" instead of "the" because one hand is more triggerhappy than the other.

I am more used to typing english than norwegian, so I am not surprised english came out better.
    Last edited by Duridi; 2012-06-30 at 12:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldred View Post
    Words per minute (WPM) 93
    Keystrokes 465
    Correct words 91
    Wrong words 0

You are better than 96.58% of all users (position 2214 of 64721 - last 24 hours)

According to studies cited by good old Wikipedia:

So if you're up around 40 wpm you're doing well for an average computer user, and anything (sustained) above 80 is a pretty good professional level.
    Guess I'm professional then! ^_^

Native language record is: 128.
    English record: 115.

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 12:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    How can people do these tests without being annoyed and distracted by trying to make sense of random sequences of words?
    I can't see what is annoying about that?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Well, that test your ability to catch the words in your head. As far as I know, we usually read 3 words in one.

For me the problem was switching between the screen and the keyboard. It became a distraction making it hard to remember the next word most of the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    89 wpm. 95.something% better than the rest.

Wondering how much this "rest" minority is.
    Currently Procrastinating

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narna View Post
    89 wpm. 95.something% better than the rest.

Wondering how much this "rest" minority is.
    Well, you have us in this thread.

Does anyone know of a similar test where actual sentences is used?

I feel it's getting incorrect for my typingstyle when I can't type "fluently", so would be more interested in seeing the result if I could type sentences.
    Last edited by Duridi; 2012-06-30 at 12:29 PM.

94 wpm. Better than 96,66% in last 24 hours.

Position 2149 out of 64432.

477 keystrokes, 92 correct words, 1 wrong.
    Can I haz a cookie now?

Bleh, this is such a terrible test. A real test for typing speed involves actual sentences, and grammar, which really changes it up. And each word is typically just a 5 letter block.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    English
    Words per minute (WPM) 39
    Keystrokes 205
    Correct words 40
    Wrong words 1

Native language
    Words per minute (WPM) 37
    Keystrokes 192
    Correct words 44
    Wrong words 1

Freaking awfull test. I watch my keyboard when I type, so having words without sentences to type was god awfull(no touch-method for me). When I actually type like normal I believe I am quicker as I won't have the distraction of having to split my view between the screen and my keyboard.

Also, I typed "First" wrong! Bet I typed it like I sometimes type "teh" instead of "the" because one hand is more triggerhappy than the other.

I am more used to typing english than norwegian, so I am not surprised english came out better.
    I can see why you're way slower if you have to look at your keyboard.

I never look at my keyboard, not even once.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailozh View Post
    I can't see what is annoying about that?
    I guess a more proper way of saying what i want to say is being annoyed at being distracted by trying to make sense of random sequences of words.. as in my mind desperately trying to make those strings of words mean something :P Not saying i would type faster either way because.. i probably could not, i never worked on fast typing or took typing classes or anything

Slow being 49 (English) 50 (Danish) So.. roughly the same in both languages and i really need to work on capitalizing some words :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Balmazer View Post
    Bleh, this is such a terrible test. A real test for typing speed involves actual sentences, and grammar, which really changes it up. And each word is typically just a 5 letter block.
    This test does exactly what it says. Testing how many words per minute you can type, it gives a damn good indication on how fast you are on the keyboard.