Thread: I'm baffled!

Deleted

I'm baffled!

Hey guys

Need to brainstorm a bit. Hope you guys can help.

I am putting together an old self-built computer. It's a different PSU and casing from last time - but the inside is pretty much all the same.

After putting everything together there's no power anywhere. No motherboard lights and no fans moving when I plug in the power cord and turn the PSU on(switch on the back). I've even tried a different PSU(although this only has the regular 20pin ATX plug and the mother board has 24 pins, which is normal?).

So am I looking at 2 broken PSUs or 1 broken and the other not functioning due to only 20pin ATX plug?

Been googling a bit and cant seem to find out. (I'm prolly just blind, but hey)

Thx in advance.

Did you remember to attach the other 4 pin power to the top of the motherboard ? Some card need both the 24 pin (or 20 pin) AND the other 4 pin plug (this 4 pin is NOT the one you use to make the 20 pin power into the 24 pin power)

Also, using a PSu with only the 20 pin if your motherboard needs 24 pin power wont work obviously

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbruz View Post
    Did you remember to attach the other 4 pin power to the top of the motherboard ? Some card need both the 24 pin (or 20 pin) AND the other 4 pin plug (this 4 pin is NOT the one you use to make the 20 pin power into the 24 pin power)

Also, using a PSu with only the 20 pin if your motherboard needs 24 pin power wont work obviously
    The 20 pin thing I wasn't really sure about, but seem to remember reading that its not necessary. Long time ago, so not sure by a long shot.

And yes I connect the "other" 4-pin connector. Did that with both PSUs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracus View Post
    The 20 pin thing I wasn't really sure about, but seem to remember reading that its not necessary. Long time ago, so not sure by a long shot.

And yes I connect the "other" 4-pin connector. Did that with both PSUs.
    They all need to be connected.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    why not use both PSU's at the same time? one for the mobo and one for the rest of the goodies.

Off to seriousland, I think it might be the motherboard if neither of the PSU's will work, but I'm not sure if you can just use a 4pin for the extra 4 slots in a mobo, like you can in a video card.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracus View Post
    Hey guys

Need to brainstorm a bit. Hope you guys can help.

I am putting together an old self-built computer. It's a different PSU and casing from last time - but the inside is pretty much all the same.

After putting everything together there's no power anywhere. No motherboard lights and no fans moving when I plug in the power cord and turn the PSU on(switch on the back). I've even tried a different PSU(although this only has the regular 20pin ATX plug and the mother board has 24 pins, which is normal?).

So am I looking at 2 broken PSUs or 1 broken and the other not functioning due to only 20pin ATX plug?

Been googling a bit and cant seem to find out. (I'm prolly just blind, but hey)

Thx in advance.
    You could try running just the PSU like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0OKmIuNtmI

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    You could try running just the PSU like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0OKmIuNtmI
    Ive never searched my apartment, this hard, for a paper clip before!!

Thanks for the advice - as soon as I find one of those lil buggers I'll test it.

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 11:44 PM ----------

Ok - so a lot smarter now!

The old 20pin PSU worked when I "shorted" out green and black with a small piece of wire and the newer 24pin was dead(most likely dead altogether).

Then I found this interesting tidbit.

http://www.smps.us/20-to-24pin-atx.html

So I'm fairly sure I found an "out" and don't have to invest in a new PSU for that old computer

Thx for the help guys.